Valve check... Should I leave well enough alone or dig in

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't skip the valve check. I've checked valves on four different FJRs now, and they have all required adjustments. One of these bikes had been "checked" by a dealership a few weeks earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of these bikes had been "checked" by a dealership a few weeks earlier.
This is why I do my own maintenance and repair. You just don't know what you're getting from the dealer's service department. I've been lied to and screwed over by too many "mechanics" to let a stranger touch my motorcycle.

One of these bikes had been "checked" by a dealership a few weeks earlier.
This is why I do my own maintenance and repair. You just don't know what you're getting from the dealer's service department. I've been lied to and screwed over by too many "mechanics" to let a stranger touch my motorcycle.
I hate to see "mechanics" painted with a broad brush. I've been one for over 50 years and have yet to screw my first customer. It would be better to name specifics than include all. Rant over.
upset.gif

I have a technical question. When checking clearance for the valves, is it cheating to slightly adjust TOC for intake and exhaust valves? I find I have clearance, but only if I nudge the crankshaft a bit.

I have a technical question. When checking clearance for the valves, is it cheating to slightly adjust TOC for intake and exhaust valves? I find I have clearance, but only if I nudge the crankshaft a bit.
If you have the minimum clearance any point on the crankshaft/camlobe then you have enough clearance. The Service Manuals are describing a method to allow a mechanic to take more than one measurement from a single crankshaft position to save time rather than to find the maximum clearance. My opinion...others may disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
wot the hell is TOC? I rotate the cam so the lobe is 180 from the bucket and check. The thing about doin all this is that 4 people can measure a valve clearance and come up with 3 different measurements. As long as they ain't too tight, then bolt it up and ride.

Da Wolf

If you have the minimum clearance any point on the crankshaft/camlobe then you have enough clearance. The Service Manuals are describing a method to allow a mechanic to take more than one measurements from a single crankshaft position to save time rather than to find the maximum clearance. My opinion...others may disagree.
+1. That’s the way I’ve always done it. If it fits, it “ships!”

I hate to see "mechanics" painted with a broad brush.
Me too and I apologize if you were offended, although my experience in my area was exactly as I stated.

I KNOW there are excellent mechanics around, I just wish we had one around where I live.
smile.png

Mine were all in spec at 67,000 miles but I had 6 tight at 93,000, 4 inlet and 2 exhaust.

I bought OEM shims, they're not expensive, and swapped some others about.

They're all in the middle to upper end of the tolerance now so I'm not expecting any to be out next time.

All is well! 37482 miles, first check, all within spec. New CCT installed, new plugs and TBS. Valve cover with new gasket slipped right into place first try with the coolant hose to thermostat pipe removed and throttle cables disconnected at the bar end and rotated rearward 180. I'm hoping that I'm good for another 20k. Next check I'll bring everything to 70% unless at that check they haven't moved. I recommend to those putting off this service to just do it! It's not NEARLY as bad as I had imagined. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement, advice and input !

Exhaust 1-1 1-2 2-1 2-2 3-1 3-2 4-1 4-2

.20 .23 .21 .21 .22 .24 .23 .22

Intake 1-1 1-2 2-1 2-2 3-1 3-2 4-1 4-2

.16 .17 .20 .16 .20 .20 .17 .18