Valve Clearance Check/Adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
I know. Having the dealer perform a Valve Clearance check/adjustment ain't cheap. AND....most have reported that when done, all valves were within spec. So......many have decided to blow this particular maintenance evolution off.

I recommend you have it done. There is always the exception.............

On my first two valve checks, the dealer replaced one shim each time. In both cases, the valves with the shims replaced were within spec, but on the very edge of spec. And I know that when forum member vectervp1 took his 05 FJR to the same dealer I use for his first valvle clearance check at Thirty-something-thousand miles (several thousand over the recommended interval), had had several valves that were tight, and out of spec, and needed to be shimmed.

BTW, this is the best wrench I have ever had. He does stuff RIGHT. Period.

Well, I recently took my FJR in for it's fifth valve clearance check with 140,400 miles on the clock.

The results?

5 valves out of spec on the tight side, and one on the very edge of spec. The specifics:

Exhaust. In spec range is 7-10 thousandths (rounding)

Actual measured per cylinder:

1 - 6 8

2 - 9 8

3 - 8 7

4 - 9 5

Intake. In spec, 6-9 thousandths.

Actual:

1 - 6 5

2 - 5 6

3 - 6 5

4 - 6 7

So six of the valves were re-shimmed back into spec.

Now perhaps this is because I have a high mileage motor that they are getting out of spec. But is it worth the risk to your own motor to not know?

What value do you place on peace of mind?

I is just sayin...............

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just turning 62K on mine, and trying to find a dealer that I can trust to do the check....I agree that you can only push your luck so far, even when everything seems AOK. Thanks for your info.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Good advice. My '04 is in the shop as I write this having the valves checked and fork seals replaced.

Skooter G,

Good advice!

So at 140,000 miles you've done your valves 5 times. With your next check due at 156,000 miles (if you have been doing them on time.. Which it sounds like you have).

Now, for those potential sport tourer buyers who are on the fence comparing the C14 to the FJR......

Regarding valve maintenance costs:

At this point the C14 (if there is ever a C14 with this many miles) would have had the valves done 9 times with the next check due at 150,000 miles. Taken into consideration that the C14's valve interval checks cost TWICE as much as the FJR's do.. The valve maintenance cost of the C14 is VERY HIGH!

My local dealer services and sells both Yamaha's and Kawasaki's.. The Hitching Post, Fridley, MN has quoted me that the average 26,000 valve interval check/adjustment on the FJR as a little less than $300. This same check/adjustment done at 15,000 miles on the C14 costing a little less than $600.

So Skooter, I am guessing you have around $1500 worth of valve maintenance costs done to your FJR.. very CHEAP if you ask me!!

If you would have owned the C14... You would have had around $5400 worth of valve maintenance costs! OUCH VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

This being a major benefit of the FJR and a major flaw of the C14!

WW

Yup, something like half of my valves were shimmed at 36,000 miles. All were on the tight side, but not all the valves that were shimmed were out of spec. Some of them were close but the mechanic that SkooterG and I take it to likes to see the valves closer to the center of the spec to he shimmed them back there.

Just to be on the safe side, my bike is back at the shop sitting at 55,000 miles getting checked once again. I know its about 6k early, but the mechanic had never seen so many valves out of spec and on tight side so he suggested I bring it in at 20k just to make sure nothing funny is going on with my motor. Hopefully all will be well with my motor and I'll be good to go for another year or 26k miles whichever comes first!

...the C14's valve interval checks cost TWICE as much as the FJR's do.. If you would have owned the C14... You would have had around $5400 worth of valve maintenance costs! OUCH VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

WW

I wonder what the big deal is with this bike. Tank, body work, plumbing and various parts and pieces to get out of the way, same difference, no?

...the C14's valve interval checks cost TWICE as much as the FJR's do.. If you would have owned the C14... You would have had around $5400 worth of valve maintenance costs! OUCH VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

WW

I wonder what the big deal is with this bike. Tank, body work, plumbing and various parts and pieces to get out of the way, same difference, no?
From what I can gather, you cannot readily access the valves on the C14 while the engine is in the frame.

R&R=Time=Money. Evidently a fair amount of it. I wonder if we'll see many used C14's for sale in need of their

2nd valve check/adjustment?

Timely post. I'm a bit past due, and have been delaying due to tight $$$. Very close to 60k now, and this will be the 2nd check IIRC.

I'm hoping that with new plugs (been in since 600 miles), carb sync, valve check etc the old girl picks up a few mpg.

Skooter - how much did the dealer charge you?

My local wants something close to $700? If the price differential is great, I'll ride to your dealer, rent a car, visit the sister in Tucson then ride back... The 700 includes coolant flush, plugs, and misc items (valve cover gasket, fix whatever little items he sees)

For the record, my local tech is great and I trust all that he does; it's simply the shop rate that scares me. Besides, I need an excuse to see the sis. And drink free SkooterG beer. :rolleyes:

Don, ask the dealer how much if you strip off the plastics and stuff. That should save at least an hours worth of labor. FWIW, a more locally applicable comparison would be my two valve checks: The first was $560 (IIR), but that included some other stuff, too - so figger about $400 for the actual check. The second was a bit more owing to the amount of wiring and the SC linkage that the dealer had to contend with - $450 or so...

I believe your dealer may be factoring in the estimate re-shimming, which may not be needed.

I should be able to tell you pretty close to what The Cycle Center will charge for a valve check only in a few days. Mine is there as we speak waiting for my Thursday appointment. If all goes well, (having some warantee stuff taken care of at the same time) I should be getting it back on Saturday and I'll be able to tell you what it costs me. My bet is it'll be around $350 for it.

I should be able to tell you pretty close to what The Cycle Center will charge for a valve check only in a few days. Mine is there as we speak waiting for my Thursday appointment. If all goes well, (having some warantee stuff taken care of at the same time) I should be getting it back on Saturday and I'll be able to tell you what it costs me. My bet is it'll be around $350 for it.
Rates and hours would be helpful.

WW

From what I can gather, you cannot readily access the valves on the C14 while the engine is in the frame.

R&R=Time=Money. Evidently a fair amount of it. I wonder if we'll see many used C14's for sale in need of their

2nd valve check/adjustment?

Holy clusterfuck, Batman :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: .

Well, that rules me out from ever buying one of these bikes. Way more work than I want to get into. The Fjr's shim-under is enough for me and luckily mine were all good.