Venture Royale

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiggerDr.

Reaction score
Been contemplating purchasing a late 80's model Venture Royale. Just because, 1, It's a Yamaha. 2. The V4 intrigues me. And 3. I want one. Who out there still rides one of these jewels? Other than making sure the air compressor system is working correctly, what else should I look for? There are several of these currently for sale in my area. Seems they don't get the miles racked up like the FJR does for some reason. And fairly cheap. I realise I will have to completely go over one of these before any extended trips. And no, the FJR is NOT leaving the stable. Better get one soon because I have also been lusting after an FJ-09........ And a newer FJR.... Well, lets face it.....and a VMAX........lol

Is the passenger comfort better compared to an FJR? What about storage? Wife seems to think she needs to take stuff she don't need and considering a Venture for the reasons above. Personally, the FJR is perfect for me. (I tend to ride faster by myself). There is also a Gold Wing for sale locally but it does not turn my crank as much as the Venture does.

Opinions appreciated.

I don't have one now but had two in the past. I really liked the 89 over the 82 and put a ton of miles on it. Older models were known for knocking second gear out of the trans. They handle pretty well for an older bike and the engine is very smooth. They are a pain to work on and the plastics can be hard to find. The carbs are a bitch to get at like any V four and valve checks will test your patience and the gaskets are spendy.. The wing in many ways is a better choice with much better access to parts and after market support. A wing with good suspension will ride circles around the Venture. IMHO

I don't have one now but had two in the past. I really liked the 89 over the 82 and put a ton of miles on it. Older models were known for knocking second gear out of the trans. They handle pretty well for an older bike and the engine is very smooth. They are a pain to work on and the plastics can be hard to find. The carbs are a bitch to get at like any V four and valve checks will test your patience and the gaskets are spendy.. The wing in many ways is a better choice with much better access to parts and after market support. A wing with good suspension will ride circles around the Venture. IMHO
Not much to add to what Ray said. I had a '84 and a '89. They were the hot rod touring bikes in the 80s although I thought the 1200 cc motor in the '84 was smoother and made more power than the 1300cc motor that came out with the '86 model. Suspension was primitive and the forks were wimpy compared to the weight being carried. Wasn't that good of bike for 2-up riding because it carried its weight a lot higher than the Goldwings. The 86 and later models had much more luggage capacity but they were not removable like the earlier versions. If I was in the market today for a used 2-up tourer I would be looking for a Goldwing.

Appreciate that info guys! Maybe I should go pick up the FJ-09 while they are relatively cheap this winter. The FJR can haul both of us. She will just have to get used to the idea that we are not living on it.

Appreciate that info guys! Maybe I should go pick up the FJ-09 while they are relatively cheap this winter. The FJR can haul both of us. She will just have to get used to the idea that we are not living on it.
Don't ever take her for a ride on a wing. The pillion comfort on a wing is a good as it gets.
smile.png

With that in mind: Any Wing purchased would benefit her more than me. Making it her bike. Maybe she will pay for one. Leaving my money for the FJ-09. That triple is a must have in my book.

With that in mind: Any Wing purchased would benefit her more than me. Making it her bike. Maybe she will pay for one. Leaving my money for the FJ-09. That triple is a must have in my book.
Happy wife = happy life.

I am very fortunate. She is easy to get along with. Never argued in 12 years. That in itself is amazing. Helps that she is driving a brand new vehicle......

Need to get her on a bike and let her fall in love with the ride. Get her wallet involved with the decision.
angel.gif

I've never had one. A friend did and he quite enjoyed it, his wife, not so much. I don't want to be rude but she is a big girl and was never comfortable on the Venture consequently he was always alone on our trips! He replaced that with a wing! As has been said here already, the pilion on the wing can not be beat. They ride together now almost all the time.

I am very fortunate. She is easy to get along with. Never argued in 12 years. That in itself is amazing. Helps that she is driving a brand new vehicle......Need to get her on a bike and let her fall in love with the ride. Get her wallet involved with the decision.
angel.gif
I'll make you a good deal on a wing.
punk.gif
rolleyes.gif

If I remember correctly, Twigg had one of these. PM him for some info.

I borrowed one for a few days way back when, it was a lot of fun for a big bike. Really liked the motor.

Canadian FJR

These old "classics" intrigue me. They were damned nice bikes...in their day. But their day was a long time ago. These days I am resigned to modern designs that are reliable and long-lived, have parts easily available, actually stop...and go like hell, run well on modern crap fuel, have supple yet sporty suspension - calibrated just right, stiff frames without hinges in them, wheels and tires wide enough for a good contact patch at high lean... all good stuff. I sometimes hanker for another CB1100F, then remember the spaghetti forks, the horrible wallow in high-speed sweepers, the oil consumption and leaking head gasket at 33,000, worn out chain and sprockets, brakes that were not made of wood but felt like it, high-effort cable actuated clutch and throttle, carbs and enriching circuits with coldblooded starts... Nah. I enjoy riding a bike more than working on it.

The plot thickens...... Ran across a 1985 Gold Wing. Fair condition 55,000 miles $1800 Has leaky front brake line and numerous other small details addressed. Nah, does not seem like it was very well taken care of. I could be wrong. Then I stumbled across a 1986 Venture Royale. Immaculate. Needs nothing. One owner. Loaded. All repairs etc. documented. All receipts for everything. 39,000 miles in the area of $2500. Previous owner getting older and bought a Can-Am. Keep in mind guys, this will be a rarely used machine as the FJR gets most of my riding. I hate to spend $10,000 to buy a bike so my wife may occasionally ride. Then again, I might just cough it up anyway. Gonna go look at the Venture and ride it. Still shopping around. Not a two cylinder guy so that eliminates a lot of machines. FJRay has a damn nice Wing. If I decide to make a big leap money wise I might possibly be headed to Oergon. Decisions decisions...........

And as far as riding a bike compared to working on it. I enjoy it. It is what I do.Except for front end alignment, I have not paid to get any of my vehicles repaired since 1977. And at that time I had no clue. But I learned. And turning wrenches has done me good. A Gold Wing is a mighty fine machine. There is no doubt that opposed engine is top notch. There is no doubt that Gold Wing is #1 in the full dressed market compared to other Jap bikes. Surely there are guys on here that own older machines with "character". Thanks for helping me make up my mind. Venture Royale it is. Just so I can ride it occasionally and the fact that I own another piece of Yamaha history. The wife will like the seating better than the FJR with more storage to boot. I am not talking long hauls with her. Hour and a half tops. If it cant handle that with a little love when it needs it, then Yamaha built a POS. Personally, I love my FJR. I just can't see spending 3 times the money on an older bike just to take the wife on a longer ride maybe twice a month. I'll shut up now.....

....Ran across a 1985 Gold Wing. Fair condition 55,000 miles $180....
FYI, the '84-'88 GL1200 had stator & main power harness problems; changing the stator requires pulling the engine. There was never a recall for this problem, just a service bulletin, but once changed Honda offered a long term warranty for the replacement part. The stator problem didn't affect all GL1200 but it bite enough that it's worth noting.

I had a 86 and thought it was the best bike I owned. i also had a 86 1200 Wing. The Venture would own the 1200 and 1500 Wing on acceleration. Many of them go past 100,000 with no problems. if you look at a 83 o4 84,2nd gear problems were frequent. If the 2nd gear was fixed, there are 2 punch marks around the shifter area. A fluctuating tackometer indicates ignition problems.The ignitions are expensive, most people move them to the top of the airbox foor better cooling and less crud. A properly running one should power the front wheel during hard accel.