vibration on front brake just before stopping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"My bike came back from dealer and dealer concludes that the issue is related to what Joe said above about frequency."

So, what are they doing to fix it? My bike does this also. I would like more info. Are they offering a solution or saying this is a design condition?

Dealer said it was normal, that basically the abs wants to kick in. They said there is nothing that needs to be fixed.

I'll jump in as well.

Mine (08 - 67k) started doing it recently. Happens perhaps one time in 500 to 1000 miles under mild stopping conditions. :rolleyes: I haven't felt it was serious enough to be concerned about.

Keep Going!

Dealer said it was normal, that basically the abs wants to kick in. They said there is nothing that needs to be fixed.
That doesn't sound right to me. If I were you, I would seek out another FJR owner and swap bikes to see how another FJR acts.

I can repeat it going downhill and braking moderately. It feels weird, but the brakes still work, so I don't worry about it.

Well, it may be the ABS (frequency) as mentioned above, but the same condition (as I described in my post and on other threads discussed going back years) has been on non ABS bikes as well. Unless there are two different causes, for what seems to be the same symtoms, I'm still more inclined to think it is more mechanically induced from the rotor/pad interaction than anything else.

My bike came back from dealer and dealer concludes that the issue is related to what Joe said above about frequency.
You mentioned the dealer said it was a frequency issue. Did they replace the sensor? did they just send you down the road with out solving the issue?

Thanks

Mark

Well, it may be the ABS (frequency) as mentioned above, but the same condition (as I described in my post and on other threads discussed going back years) has been on non ABS bikes as well. Unless there are two different causes, for what seems to be the same symtoms, I'm still more inclined to think it is more mechanically induced from the rotor/pad interaction than anything else.
A similar symptom used to occur on my Cagiva Gran Canyon. A very different bike for sure with no ABS. I swapped out the OEM pads for some EBC's and no more issue. I was thinking it was some kind of harmonic vibration that was triggered under certain conditions with the stock pads. I'm curious to know if this is occurring on the FJR's in spite of the brand of pads used.

Yep my 09 has done this occasionally since new. feels like rapid pulsations coming from the front.

I would say it is only with front and rear brakes applied and usually at low speed but braking a little

hard like when unexpected braking. Car in front stops for a yellow light I expected they would go for

or something along those lines. Just a guess but I'm thinking it is due to the linked brakes but have

no proof. I have never noticed this on more spirited road conditions. Although the front brake does seem

a little slow to release sometimes when braking hard for a turn. Not sure if it is me or the bike at fault.

Usually it's an oh shit moment when it happens.

A similar symptom used to occur on my Cagiva Gran Canyon. A very different bike for sure with no ABS. I swapped out the OEM pads for some EBC's and no more issue. I was thinking it was some kind of harmonic vibration that was triggered under certain conditions with the stock pads. I'm curious to know if this is occurring on the FJR's in spite of the brand of pads used.
Geek has the opposite problem..Swapped EBC's for stockers and now he has a low speed vibration.

My 2007 Does this also but only since last year and on very rare occassions at low speed and mild braking. But my brake pads are due to be replaced anyway. I'm hoping this takes care of the issue. while replacing them I'm going to clean up the calipers and rotors anyway. Hopefully that does the trick.

Yep my 09 has done this occasionally since new. feels like rapid pulsations coming from the front.

I would say it is only with front and rear brakes applied and usually at low speed but braking a little

hard like when unexpected braking. Car in front stops for a yellow light I expected they would go for

or something along those lines. Just a guess but I'm thinking it is due to the linked brakes but have

no proof. I have never noticed this on more spirited road conditions. Although the front brake does seem

a little slow to release sometimes when braking hard for a turn. Not sure if it is me or the bike at fault.

Usually it's an oh shit moment when it happens.
My '06 does this occasionally as well, under the same circumstances. Strange...but it seems to stop OK and nothing is loose on the front end so I just shrug and ride on.

Geek has the opposite problem..Swapped EBC's for stockers and now he has a low speed vibration.
Yep. Ever since we put those Carbon Lorraine pads in there, that thing vibrated so bad I quit riding it until I could get my hands on some Yamaha pads.

Which I did.

And, thanks to the FJRTech pad swap write-up, I just swapped 'em out (although I did have to wedge a screw driver wrapped in a shop towel in there to push the pots back into the caliper, but no big deal there) and I noticed something.

The brass cover plates were grungy as all get-out, and I had a few minutes, and I happen to have some brake cleaner and an old toothbrush laying around in the garage, so I kinda de-gunked 'em.

I know that at least one of the cover plates was on backwards.

So, outta curiosity, anyone know what the effects on braking would be if those brass cover plates are installed backwards?

I took the bike out for a quick shake-down run and, other than hearing a pad dragging just a bit (no big deal, I know) the bike now stops nice and drama-free, no weird noises (left the helmet at home so I could better hear anything odd) just the way I like it. Went over behind a shopping center and did several ~40 MpH to almost stopped runs and all is OK.

So, the summary question: what could have cause the vibration (and we're talking pretty damn severe vibration - enough to make the windshield vibrate): the after-market pads we installed (and that I probably didn't 'seat' or whatever it's called properly), or those cover plates in there backwards?