vibration on front brake just before stopping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has happened twice on my 3-month old 2016 ES - both times during moderate braking right before I coming to a stop. Brakes seem to be working just fine at higher speeds etc. so not super worried about it. However, this combined with the constant rattle sound from the front (which many others have also reported) while driving on uneven roads, doesn't leave a nice Yamaha first impression on me...

I think that the sound during braking is the holes in the rotors passing over the leading edge of the brake pads. Absolutely no issue whatsoever. Not often, but I also hear/feel this from time to time. I have never had a brake issue on this bike.

The rattle is generally attributed to movement of the floating rotors. They will move around a bit until you get a few more miles on them and they will stop moving (as) freely as some dirt accumulates in there. Again, nothing wrong. Could also be brake pads rattling but the retaining clips should minimize this.

Sound coming from the front-end, especially over sharp bumps is the floating rotors rattling. Chatter is a different story, and my '07 has never done that. I've had both Yamaha pads and EBC HH Sintered pads.

Same issue with my '07. Low speed vibration usually just as I approach a stop. I wasn't too worried about it. Seat- of- the -pants diagnostics showed that the bike stops, it also goes (sometimes really goes) and the ABS is working when tested intentionally. Now I'm very curious.

Same issue with my '07. Low speed vibration usually just as I approach a stop. I wasn't too worried about it. Seat-of-the-pants diagnostics showed that the bike stops, it also goes (sometimes really goes) and the ABS is working when tested intentionally. Now I'm very curious.
That's my kind of testing procedure, Gen2Jockey!