VStream Touring Windscreen in summer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd bought the OEM touring screen prior to taking delivery of my 2018, because I'm a sucker for the barn door approach. But I then spent the next 1,200 miles jogging the thing up and down its runners for entire journeys at a time, which it finally dawned on me was probably a sign I wasn't happy with it.

I finally took the decision to unbolt it and replace it with the standard screen back plus Puig 4639W deflector which... totally transforms it. Very happy and will post a pic next time the bike is out.

The touring screen I haven't yet missed. I'm 6'2 and regardless of seat height always felt I was looking directly into the lip of the thing, something that I found really distracting. The higher seat helped but I just don't like the higher seat position. And while buffeting was reduced when fully extended, the relaxed pressure on my chest and turbulence behind my head wasn't a comfortable combination, despite the quiet. The deflector manages to lessen the noise without disrupting the air flow to the point it feels, well, weird.

Like so many things on a bike these are personal choices. But I thought it was worth sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one of the "clamp-on" windscreen extensions, got ready shoot a decent video about installing one, and... broke my left thumb. No riding for me for at least another month. :(