Wanna See a Darn Good Looking Bike!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I am a big fan of the Tankslapper kits and recommend them. Don't get me wrong, they are not perfect, but I installed one on my first FJR early on and it definitely helped keep the bike looking good for a long time. I don't have one on FJR#2 and various places are showing wear quickly. I don't know what happened with yours, but the corrosion is not from moisture getting locked under the material. The material lets moisture pass through it.

The kit contains two types of material - the tankslapper stuff, and the 3M stuff which is thicker and actually has some adhesive. The TS stuff doesn't have adhesive. Eventually, after a lot of miles the TS stuff started to come off but definitely did it's job. Especially for the tank, the sidebags, and the headlights. When I ordered replacements, I ordered the 3M material in place of the TS stuff. It' harder to install, and since it's thicker is a little bit more visible, but that stuff doesn't come off.

I'll be installing an all 3M version on FJR#3 soon.
I didn't know it let moisture pass though. I agree with you on the pros of the tank slapper. I'm not sure what is causing these minute rust speckles on my gas tank. If I manage to capture them with my camera i will send a pic to you. They are probably about .3mm in diameter and cannot be felt, like they are underneath the clear coat... very odd I know.

Ohhh look at that blank canvas! So much to add to make it more better....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys.. just picked up my new 2010 FJR this past weekend as well. I've had a Honda CBR 600 RR.. tried to graduate a little and went to a VStar 950 last year (yawn) so now I decided to try and merge the two and ended up with an FJR. I may be in love.. the smooth power this bike has is unreal. And my back doesn't hurt for 4 days after riding 100 miles (my CBR). I've got the OEM Touring windshield and expandable tank bag on order.. I almost did the OEM gel seat but decided to wait and see how the stock one does on my first ride.. so far so good.. I'm hoping to do a week long trip in the next 2-3 weeks through the NC / TN mountains.. I'll be riding down from Ocean City, MD to meet up with some buddies

(Am I missing the photo upload option?)

Congrats Jshort! That's got to be a big difference coming from a CBR background. I've sat on those and they are pretty aggressive on the back/neck.

That's three of us. I just picked up my new 2010 this past weekend as well. Put 110 miles on it on Sun, I am officially in love.

You said yours doesn't clunk when you put in 1st? Mine does, not a severe or particularly loud clunck but audible and I could feel it as well. Also on the ride there were a few occasions where at a stop I had a hard time getting it to down or up shift. Shifter lever would just have more restance and not travel full distance. Slightly letting out the clutch fixed it. I have driven sticks in cars my whole life and occasionaly I would have that problem as well, always fixed but letting out the clutch just a bit.

Something up with mine? I figured this was all normal or it was me and I just need to adjust to the bike. This also happens to be my first bike so I don't have much to compare it to. I've been borrowing my Dad's bike all fall and winter.

That's three of us. I just picked up my new 2010 this past weekend as well. Put 110 miles on it on Sun, I am officially in love.

You said yours doesn't clunk when you put in 1st? Mine does, not a severe or particularly loud clunck but audible and I could feel it as well. Also on the ride there were a few occasions where at a stop I had a hard time getting it to down or up shift. Shifter lever would just have more restance and not travel full distance. Slightly letting out the clutch fixed it. I have driven sticks in cars my whole life and occasionaly I would have that problem as well, always fixed but letting out the clutch just a bit.

Something up with mine? I figured this was all normal or it was me and I just need to adjust to the bike. This also happens to be my first bike so I don't have much to compare it to. I've been borrowing my Dad's bike all fall and winter.
Hey Bigslim..Again, from three bikes I've ridden (VFR,ZX14,Concours14) the FJR is the slickest shifting bike.

Gotcha, I was thinking it might have been a comparatively speaking thing. As I was trying to explain, I don't have much basis for comparison.

Yours is NORMAL on all counts. It's odd to hear of an FJR that doesn't 'clunk' at least somewhat going from neutral to first gear. There are things you can do to minimize it like holding in the clutch for several seconds before shifting, revving the engine a bit before shifting, or starting the bike in gear (obviously with the clutch pulled in).

And all non-syncro sequential (motorcycle) transmissions frequently exhibit the 'no change gears with out something moving behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who makes the seat bag you have pictured?? Looks interesting....

Axio Hard Tail Bag.

https://www.axiolugga...bag_silver.html
Just tried calling them (Axio direct) but the number is no good, where did you get yours and for how much if you don't mind?
Hello Sir...I ordered mine from what use to be New Enough, but has changed names to MotorcycleGear.com. Here is the Link https://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/luggage/tail_bags/axio/hardpack_motorcycle_tail_bag.html

I paid about $150.00 for mine.

You'll notice that the tank slapper kits aren't what they're made out to be...

After I had mine on for a couple years small bits of moisture, dust, grime ect. gets underneath them, along edges and even further in... have some VERY tiny rust spots speckled across my gas tank because of moisture getting locked in under the plastic I assume. Where the plastic used to be. They were installed well not a single bubble anywhere, but I wouldn't recommend them.
Carlson Sorry to hear that...and suprised. I've installed the film on all my bikes including the Headlights on my Truck and Wifes Car. I received the full kit today and worked on it some when I got home. One thing about it, you can't get in a hurry. Some of those pieces will make you say a few choice words! Another plus of Silver is that the film blends right in. Hard to tell it's even there.

https://thetankslapper.biz/osc/index.php?cPath=26_235&osCsid=77bc55b854d73b03b2f476018af0595e

make that 4 of us with the 2010

IMG_2348e.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

This color almost looks like (the Australian or Euro) model?

Is it Sandalwood or Silver?

Man, it has been soo long since mine was clean.

Poor girl, great miles, many many smiles.

I wish you the same.

FJR%20in%20Dealership.jpg

Yours is NORMAL on all counts. It's odd to hear of an FJR that doesn't 'clunk' at least somewhat going from neutral to first gear.

And all non-syncro sequential (motorcycle) transmissions frequently exhibit the 'no change gears with out something moving behavior.
Thank you, good to know.