Want Aux. lights to operate off high beams

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eworth

Reaction score
Hey All,

Have a 2007 FJR. Purchased Garauld's light brackets and PIAA 1100x driving lights and harness.

I want to set up the driving lights to turn on when I activate my high beams. (I will have the PIAA switch in tact in case I don't want to use extra lighting)

The switched wire in the PIAA harness needs to connect to the high beam wire... Correct?

Wire is YELLOW?

Where in the world in the maze of wires do I find the high beam wire to connect to?

I know, this is probably super simple. Have pity please and get me through the install.. :help:

Explanations / photos, anything would be helpful.

Thanks!!

Eworth

OK, found the left headlamp socket . With Yellow, Green and Black wires.

Do I unravel some of the harness tape at that location?

Figuring that the yellow wire is the high beam and that I can use a posi-tap to connect it to the Piaa switched wire...

Is that correct?

Tap into the high beam (yellow) wire only to trigger the relay on for your aux lights. Your lights have a relay, right?

I did the same, but added a double throw switch with off in the center, in line so that I could have the aux lights either switched on/off with the high beams, or just the ignition switch, or off all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fred,

Yes, the PIAA wiring harness has an installed relay. So the FJR's yellow high beam wire would be tapped and connected directly to the Piaa "switched power" wire.

Is that how you understand it to be?

Going as far as you did in your wiring would make my brain smoke. :dribble:

Do "tap into", do not cut the yellow wire. No need to unravel any taping.

If you have an electrical wire stripper, then cut the yellow covering only and peel back.

Tie the PIAA relay wire onto the yellow wire, and you will get your desired effect of the

lights coming on when you throw on your highbeams.....got a voltmeter installed?

Hi Fred,
Yes, the PIAA wiring harness has an installed relay. So the FJR's yellow high beam wire would be tapped and connected directly to the Piaa "switched power" wire.

Is that how you understand it to be?
Ok, sounds good.

Going as far as you did in your wiring would make my brain smoke. :dribble:

Nah... It's not that tricky. If you want to do something like that let me know and I'll mapo it out for you.

FJR ReminigtonRID and Fred,

Thanks guys!!! Out to the garage to make it happen.

Much appreciated!

Eworth

Pretty cool stuff to have virtual brains around, eh Eworth?

Oh, I'm not one of the 'brains'.. I used a 2.5 kw Honda generator in a trailer to power my high beams.. :lol:

Let us know how it ends up..

Dcarver,,

YOu bet!. Having others here on the list help is a life saver for me. Working on the wiring tonight.

The hardest part (after figuring what goes where) is actually fishing all that wiring into the framework so that it looks professional and not some kind of a hack job. That would drive me nuts and would have to start over.

Hoping to get most , if not all of it done and tested tomorrow. I have to remind myself to be patient and do it right the first time...

Will post when done!

Thanks again y'all.

Eworth

All wrapped up!! Works as it should , looks great!! Now just to try it out at night to adjust for the correct angle in relation to the roadway. Relieved!!!