Water pump Failure?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No drips or leaks after inspecting when back home.

But, a pix shows some nasty-ass splooge from the weep-hole...

Not liquid, more of a 'gooey' consistency.

Kind of like a really good nose snot.
bad.gif

I'm now wondering if it was a mistake to 'spin' this engine to perform a compression test after it had sat for over 8 months, dry, on a concrete floor.

It never occurred to me to provide liquid for the water pp prior to spinning to engine to determine compression.

Will post up pix 2morrow. Tonight, off to sleep.
Highly doubt it, stop thinking so much ;-)
10522680_755848297805651_1901540335519022223_n.jpg

Here's some pix..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

What I don't recall is the weep hole location, top or bottom? Guess I could go out and look, but it's hot outside and I'm lazy.

Uh Don' the water pump is on the right side of the bike next to where your toes go.

Phil's right, that is the oil cooler. There shouldn't be any weep holes there.

In this case a picture (or several) really is worth a thousand words, this thread is on page 2 already. If the last two pictures are from the bottom looking up, I'd say that is a leak from the hose connection dripping down. Take an awl and check for any corrosion from the inside. Kinda like looking for termite damage with a screw driver.

Run the beast. Next time you change coolant, redo that hose connection.

Brodie
fool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh Don' the water pump is on the right side of the bike next to where your toes go.
Phil's right, that is the oil cooler. There shouldn't be any weep holes there.

In this case a picture (or several) really is worth a thousand words, this thread is on page 2 already. If the last two pictures are from the bottom looking up, I'd say that is a leak from the hose connection dripping down. Take an awl and check for any corrosion from the inside. Kinda like looking for termite damage with a screw driver.

Run the beast. Next time you change coolant, redo that hose connection.

Brodie

fool.gif

OIL COOLER?

You mean my mighty FJR has a stinking water-cooled OIL COOLER?

Boy am I embarASSed!

Water line in, water line out..

Hoses about the right diameter for coolant cooling too..

Jeesh..

flirt.gif

It really IS hard to be perfect!

...or have I discovered the first of many, MANY dreaded oil cooling water pump failures?
devil.gif

Yeah, that does look like a weep hole on the oil cooler. No experience with that. You are sailing off into uncharted territory...
Dear Freddie Bear, that is nothing new for "The California Hippie!" dcarver was the Helmsman on The Flying Dutchman! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

flying-dutchman.jpg

No drips or leaks after inspecting when back home.

But, a pix shows some nasty-ass splooge from the weep-hole...

Not liquid, more of a 'gooey' consistency.

Kind of like a really good nose snot.
bad.gif

I'm now wondering if it was a mistake to 'spin' this engine to perform a compression test after it had sat for over 8 months, dry, on a concrete floor.

It never occurred to me to provide liquid for the water pp prior to spinning to engine to determine compression.

Will post up pix 2morrow. Tonight, off to sleep.
Highly doubt it, stop thinking so much ;-)
10522680_755848297805651_1901540335519022223_n.jpg
lol.gif
Purdie much ^THIS^
lol.gif

Hey Don! If you end up with a cluster on your hands somewhere between the Hondarosa and Sparks, give me a call. I've got an enclosed trailer with a wheel chock that can get you back to where you can get fixed up, if need be.

Good luck, but you should be fine with that little drip.

(at least, that's what the doc said)
rolleyes.gif

Sure, and you all laughed at me when I was the first to have the ignition switch failure, then the spider bite..

I AM one lucky feller!

no.gif

Well then, forced into the humility of examining the kRusTyKrZy8 OE (original engine!)

..HA! There is no weep hole in this high-tech-fangdangled-oil-cooler-Thingie!

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

..and look how wonderful this oil looks... anyone want to buy this fine engine?
no.gif

13.jpg

As strange as it looks.. this is just where the gook cooked and made it look (I AM a poet!) like a weep hole..

5.jpg

DC, since you're disappointed there's not a weep hole in your "oil cooler" why not make one? Then show us how to fix it...

See you Thursday buddy!
drinks.gif

--G

BTW...don't you work in a nuclear power plant ???
blind.gif

I'm glad you guys cleared that up... and to the OP, just for reference, this is your water pump... RH side, just below the clutch cover.Regards,

Mr. BR

1) Mr. BR, please do not confuse Don Carver ever with the facts: That has never ended well for any of us here on our Fine FJR Forum! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/153784-western-fjr-riders-roundup/

2) If you're from San Jose, why aren't you riding up to Reno for the Western FJR Riders Roundup this coming weekend? Brian and Brodie are riding up from SJ, CA!

I'm glad you guys cleared that up... and to the OP, just for reference, this is your water pump... RH side, just below the clutch cover.
1) Mr. BR, please do not confuse Don Carver ever with the facts: That has never ended well for any of us here on our Fine FJR Forum! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!
I have had the opportunity to spend some time with Don and I have to say that his accuracy and performance are directly related to motivation. In the time I've spent with Don he:

1) has never mistaken any other container for being beer, he has always correctly chosen the beer containers

2) has never mistaken which is the correct end of the container, he has always found the cap and ring tab

3) has never mistakenly picked up a container with anything other than beer inside

4) After always finding the beer container and emptying said container, Don has some of the best photos you will ever see taken from the bottom side of his FJR. Since he is already down on the floor and can't get up, why not?

I'm glad you guys cleared that up... and to the OP, just for reference, this is your water pump... RH side, just below the clutch cover.
I have had the opportunity to spend some time with Don and I have to say that his accuracy and performance are directly related to motivation. In the time I've spent with Don he:

1) has never mistaken any other container for being beer, he has always correctly chosen the beer containers

2) has never mistaken which is the correct end of the container, he has always found the cap and ring tab

3) has never mistakenly picked up a container with anything other than beer inside

4) After always finding the beer container and emptying said container, Don has some of the best photos you will ever see taken from the bottom side of his FJR. Since he is already down on the floor and can't get up, why not?
This statement right here proves Alan ionbeam is the Smartest Guy on our Fine FJR Forum (next to RadioHowie, of course!) jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

5.jpg

Donnie-boi....as you NOW know that is not weephole spooge, I've figgered it out....

It's a booger that belongs to FJRay or Fairlaner....it's a reminder from the rebuild.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww...........