Water Water Everywhere...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redfish Hunter

Gone Fishing
Reaction score
and nary a drop to drink...

I am seeing a lot of coverage on the 'net about the flooding in my area. A simple fact of life is that when you live in and around a swamp, the water is going to rise from time to time. While I have some compassion for those who unwittingly wind up living in a flood zone, many of the "victims" of flood waters in my area know what is coming. Of course, in some parts of Louisiana and Texas there were lots of folks living on high ground that were victims of historic high water. For them, I have sympathy. It can happen to any of us I guess.

At any rate, today is my day off. I wanted to ride my FJR. I wanted to test my new Nolan N86 helmet. I wanted to look at high water. I like to type on this forum. So, I combined these things in an effort to entertain myself and you folks along with me.

First up was Bayou Manchac Road. I have posted a high water pic from this same spot before but that was with my Honda. That curvy road sign is pretty rare in this part of the world unless you can find a road running alongside a bayou.

I took a few more pics along this road but the riding was more fun than the picture taking so we will just move along. My next photo stop was at Fred's in Port Vincent. I grew up about 4 miles from this place and it is a major fun spot during the summer. Boats of all types will be here every weekend, there is a public boat launch immediately to the right of the building. As a younger man I spent many Sunday afternoons sitting on that deck, sipping beers and watching the drunks attempt to pull their boats out of the water. Many times I have seen trucks and trailers disappear under the muddy water to the consternation of the drunk owners. It is worth noting that along with summer temps and fast boats come bikini bathing suits and well tanned skin. Good times...

Anyway, Fred's on the Amite River:

Because I am a rebel sometimes I chose NOT to park in the motorcycle parking area:

Next up was a visit to Mom and Dad's. Mom was happy I showed up right at lunch time and I was too. I took a walk on Dad's property behind the house to see where the water was. Dad chose wisely when he bought that land in the late 60s. He has never flooded although they have been on their own private island a couple of times.

Next I took a ride through the village of Port Vincent and found this road to be a bit deep for Scar so I just took a pic.

A little farther down the highway I found some more unhappy folks:

In this pic the area in the background with the swiftly moving water is actually the Amite River. These riverfront homes are very sought after and command a premium price. I prefer higher ground myself.

My last stop of the day was at Canal Bank on the Diversion Canal. This is another hugely popular summertime hot spot. There is a boat ramp (submerged) immediately to the right of that building. I can happily recall many wonderful evenings in the days of my misdirected youth spent here. Some of the best (and worst) local bands, cold beer, and fast boats populate this place every weekend of the summer. If I close my eyes, I can hear the music, smell the suntan oil, and taste the beer even now. Or was I tasting the suntan oil and smelling the beer? It has been so long, it all runs together now.
smile.png

I am fairly certain Spring has sprung here. It was 72 degrees when I started and it was 84 when I shut down. I hope a few of you who are still experiencing winter got a little enjoyment out of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bayou Manchac Road........Eugenie Boisfontaine........
aaskull.gif

Water is high here, but not like that. Local flooding, low areas, mostly agricultural, a few closed roads and highways.

Thanks for sharing Redfish!Especially the first picture is really nice!

What about your new N.86?I have the N103 and i like it.

You're at what...54ft? That is nowhere near high-ground. I'm telling you, when the polar ice caps melt, you're gonna have to trade Scar in for a submarine. The beach will be WAY closer to my house, and my property value at 6000 ft is going to go through the roof!

Good preview of some of the stuff I am likely to see when traveling in East Texas. Hopefully Arkansas will be dry. My Gramps lived near the Red River Basin in North Texas and the water there was huge at times. I imagine it gets even bigger by the time it gets to you. It all has to go somewhere!!

Well done - good to see you riding for fun, instead of just the commute to work. Dad wasn't up for a run?

As the crow flies, I'm about 65 miles to the west of RFH. The front door of my house is 24 feet above sea level. Oddly enough, I'm not required to have flood insurance, but I do anyway. If WHEN the next hurricane comes our way, the egg heads say I'm going to get it.

For whatever reason, we escaped most of the flooding over the past week. We got plenty of rain, but it came in intervals, and included some breaks for run off.

RFH and I have the same W/S - Cee Baily sport, tinted. Works and looks great.

Thanks for the pics and prose RfH, nice to see someone riding!

In my little slice of the PNW, it was drizzling and 45 coming home from work. Look out though, the next four days are dry and I've got twisty roads waiting!! ;-)

--G

That windshield looks darn good on that bike.
It does doesn't it?
smile.png
Of course, the whole package is pretty damn awesome.

Seriously, thank you. This is the best looking bike I ever dreamed of owning. Even today as I was riding it I could barely comprehend that I could have a bike that awesome. I am still like a kid every time I get around it.

That windshield looks darn good on that bike.
Yes it does .. What kind is that ? I may feel compelled to get one ...
Oh and nice water ...
That is (as hppants said) a Cee Bailey Sport in dark tint. I confess that I do not normally like a dark tinted shield even though I do not look through it. But as soon as I saw the pics of the '15 I knew what shield I wanted. I had it ordered before I took delivery of the bike.

It is worth noting that the shield for your '08 is going to be different but Cee Bailey does make a Sport Shield for the Gen 2.

Bayou Manchac Road........Eugenie Boisfontaine........
aaskull.gif

Water is high here, but not like that. Local flooding, low areas, mostly agricultural, a few closed roads and highways.
I had to look that one up. A shame really.

Thanks for sharing Redfish!Especially the first picture is really nice!What about your new N.86?I have the N103 and i like it.
I like the N86 but not as much as my Shoei Neotec. In fact I had a Nolan N103 before the Neotec. Good helmets but not quite on the same level as the Shoei. But I do like the N86, I bought it for an everyday helmet. I am well pleased with it, it has better ventilation than the N103.

You're at what...54ft? That is nowhere near high-ground. I'm telling you, when the polar ice caps melt, you're gonna have to trade Scar in for a submarine. The beach will be WAY closer to my house, and my property value at 6000 ft is going to go through the roof!
Wikipedia says that the City of Baton Rouge is at 35 feet. I am at extremely high elevation for this part of the world. This property, which I bought from my wife's family, has been in my wife's family for almost a hundred years. Her grandfather chose wisely. This is supposed to be the second highest point in this parish.

Did you see Steve McQueen paddling around in a canoe with a very ill looking Suzanne Pleshette?
Nothing as cool as either of them. If I had seen anything that looked like a young Suzanne Pleshette in distress, I would be talking to a divorce lawyer right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing Redfish!Especially the first picture is really nice!What about your new N.86?I have the N103 and i like it.
I like the N86 but not as much as my Shoei Neotec. In fact I had a Nolan N103 before the Neotec. Good helmets but not quite on the same level as the Shoei. But I do like the N86, I bought it for an everyday helmet. I am well pleased with it, it has better ventilation than the N103.
Thanks for the review,i believe in all things,you take what you pay..
smile.png

Nice report. Sorry for the people that are flooded. Glad you, your mom and dad, and Joey are high and dry!

Good wishes for the people that are flooded. It has to be a helpless feeling as the water rises and there is nothing you can do.

Is that a paddle-boat Blazer??
smile.png

Nice pics RFH. We don't get to see that kind of water in our neck of the woods
That Blazer is one of the first good reasons I've seen for a stratosphere lift kit.

As far as AZ flooding, we were in Wickenburg on 7/17/15 and commented on the dry washes around and through the town. Then on 7/18 Wickenburg almost washed away with inches of rain. I hope that feller chained to the jail tree made out ok with all the flooding.