We don't get to decide....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smile.png
^^^LIKE^^^
smile.png

Bounce - you have had a run of pretty crappy cards. You have my sympathies and believe me - I was reading between your lines. Thanks for your post.
Meh. Play the cards you're given. More importantly is that you clearly are already doing that which many don't as evidenced by your trip to Red Stick. I used to have a division office there and made frequent trips there (except never after May if I could help it). Great people and wonderful food. There is an abundance of life zest in your area and I encourage you two to drink deeply every chance you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just went through some health crap but I'm back on the bike. I just don't have the words to tell ya how good that feels.
Life is a interesting bitch ... JSNS
Been there -done that as they say. Good to hear your a go now. Fortunately we live where even short rides can be very enjoyable.

This thread brought up a few things for me...

My FIL died of cancer a couple of years ago. Cancer sucks. Fuck cancer.

A friend of mine, and the reason why I started riding motorcycles 24 years ago, died of a brain tumor several (9 years already? Damn!) years ago. He was 42 at the time and I miss that fucking hippy. Cancer sucks. Fuck cancer.

Another friend of mine had a massive heart attack at the age of 44. He was dead before he hit the ground, but he was doing something he loved - fishing in Florida. The world lost a "unique" man that day. I told him for years that when he hit 50 years old, he'd officially graduate to "eccentric." Damn could he throw one helluva party.

So, yah - as the saying goes, carpe the fuck outta that diem. None of us gets out alive.

As some of you know, 2015 was an epically low-milage riding year for me and Sooze. We already have plans in motion to fix this for 2016. For some reason, I've had wanderlust REALLY bad today. Now I've got it worse.

Hey Andy,

I had a big reply to this thread all typed up several days ago and deleted it. It was about my Dad, and some other men I've known, that went far too young.

Every time, without exception, I've always felt it was another case of the "only the good die young" situation. My Dad died after a stroke about 20 years back. He decided (after the massive stroke) that he did not want to live on and be a burden to his family and died honorably. I would only hope that I would do as well.

My Father-In-Law went after a quick bout with "Mr C." He was a smoker and got it in the lungs and then spread everywhere.

A close friend of my Dad's, the most genuine guy you would ever possibly meet, also died after Mr C. attacked his colon.

Another friend of my Dad's, who helped us build their log cabin upo in the woods of Maine, died also after contracting colon cancer.

These men were true and genuine role models to me and everyone they met. They are who I wish I could be on a good day. But they all got dealt a bad hand.

Is there a lesson? You're god-damn right there is:

We need to live like there is no tomorrow,

And consider what we leave on the road behind us.

We need to always be righteous with our family and loved ones, because let's face it... nobody else gives a shit about you when you are gone.

And we need to suck every Carpe out of every fukin' Diem that we can.

'Cause there ain't no re-runs man. We only get to do this stupid thing once.

I had a stroke about 6 years ago and was VERY lucky. Three days in the hospital and every test possible. The scans showed where the damage was but I escaped without any problems.

I asked the doctor if I could still ride and although he recommended that I quit I told him it wasn't an option. I figure that dead is dead and they throw dirt in your face so I'm trying to live every day and have as much fun as I can afford.
punk.gif

Beemersdon.
Don told me up in CFR 2009 Nakusp about his first massive heart attack (while snorkeling ) and trying to crawl up onto the boat and being unable to do so. The dive operator recognized what was happening right away and Don stayed with us for more years. I listened to that story at the Nakusp campground with my jaw dropped, drinking Don's beer and savoring the time that day.Beemerdons sure seized the fecking day.

Salute.

Edit. I sure could use a photo of Don going down a pool slide right about now.

I've left the house every day for the last 20 years, knowing some jackass may decide he's going to shoot me in the face. I do what I can to mitigate that by staying aware, and staying proficient with my gun. I have life and health issues, just like everyone else, and I seriously doubt I will live much past 60, but we'll see. I do know that I was getting fatter than I needed to be, and maybe just lazy. A couple of work injuries and knee surgeries has made running and working out like I used to, much harder than it used to be. I kind of just accepted it, until I got a decent scare just a few months ago.

I pulled a truck over in the middle of the night, and the driver took off running. It didn't take me long to catch him, but I let all this recent PC bullshit get into my head, and instead of just overwhelming him, I slowed things down. He was trapped, so he stopped, and I stopped behind him. I drew my Taser and gave orders, which he ignored. When I lit the Taser off, he moved. One prong went into a telephone pole and one into his chest. That had zero effect, so he pulled the prong from his chest and tried to tackle me. He couldn't take me down, but the first thing he did was reach for my gun. Years ago, that guy would have seen his version of God, because I would have thundered the living shit out of him. This time, I just didn't have it in me I guess. I sort of danced with him before finally taking control and doing what needed to be done. I realized, I needed to fix some stuff, so it was back to the gym and back to fighting on a regular basis.

I'm down 15lbs, and fucking strong again. I HURT for a month; seriously hurt, like I thought I was injured hurt. Then it went away, and things are coming back. Dealing with that jackass reminded me that I'm not going to let some guy take me out. I've always been the guy no one wants to fight, because I'm fast, strong and brutal when necessary. "Be violent enough, fast enough" has always been my mantra, and I failed at that. Never again. 10 years ago, that guy would have gone to the hospital. The next guy stupid enough to try that stunt will not like what happens.

Cancer and dementia got my maternal grandfather. Pulmonary Fibrosis got my paternal grandmother and my dad, so God only knows what I have coming. Do I live every day to its fullest? Sadly, no. I have bills to pay and three daughters to raise. I hope I live long enough to see each of them become successful adults. I do what I can to keep from having a stroke or heart attack, but nobody knows exactly when some body part is just going to decide it is done. We can only hope our preventative maintenance keeps us above ground. I'll live today, today, and see if I don't get to try out tomorrow also.

However, being way younger than most of you old farts gives me hope!

Do I live every day to its fullest? Sadly, no. I have bills to pay and three daughters to raise. I hope I live long enough to see each of them become successful adults.
One might argue that paying the bills and raising your daughters IS living your life to the fullest. It just depends on what your definition of really living is. That definition will be widely different things to different people, and changes throughout your life. It is a matter of personal priorities, and you can't let anyone else dictate what those are. Only you can set them.

You are absolutely right Fred. Raising my kids to be responsible self-sufficient adults is currently living my life to its fullest. Nothing is more important than that, except being able to feed them and put clothes on them. They are my life. I don't know if that will ever change, but my responsibility will shift at some point, as they take off on their own. Just hoping I live long enough to see that happen.

AJ - like Fred, I certainly get what you are feeling. You are at a different point in the drama than I am. My kids are grown. My wife and I have done our part. Right now, they are MOST concerned about themselves (rightfully so), and we get whatever is left over (not much, really). I'm told that they come back in time. We can wait patiently to see when that happens but in the meantime, we are content to watch them enjoy their life from the front row.

At the same time, our parents are all about 75. FIL has his own challenges now, but the inevitable is more real now for all of them. My wife and I have had some serious discussions recently about the urgency of NOW. We know that sooner or (hopefully) later, our parents are going to need us and when they do, we will answer their call. Sooner or (likely) later, our kids will be more interested in us and when they do, we will welcome them. We feel that the reality for us is we may only have the next 5-7 years (if we are lucky) truly for ourselves to be selfish with our time and perhaps our money. My recent experience with my FIL was a wake up call to be sure.

I feel blessed that we were observant enough to see the handwriting on the wall. For SWMBO and I, it's not about work and it's not about money. It's about time and health.

AJ,

You keep yerself in good shape, 'kay?

We need you for NAFOs and campouts...for a LONG time. I'm useless organizing things.

I've had cancer. Survived and learned I'm not as tough as I thought I was. Life really started anew with the birth of my grandson. Never realized just how much fun a kid can be. Now I have a three week old granddaughter as well. My version of living life to the fullest is living long enough to build life long memories for my grandchildren of their time with me.

Joey, I am at different point than you. Both my parents have passed. Both from cancer. And to quote Andy, "Cancer sucks. Fuck cancer." Spanky's Dad died from cancer in 1988. Cancer sucks. Fuck cancer. Spanky's mom is 85 and lives with us. There are others in Spanky's family that live close enough to take care of her when we travel. The reality is that she will not be with us forever. She is OK health wise, but has limited mobility. I believe she will outlive her ability to be self sufficient. What happens then remains to be seen.

With all that being said, the only real thing that limits my "fun" is work. I plan to take care of that as soon as I can start drawing on my 401K. This September is our 30th anniversary. We had planned to go to New Zealand, but the possibility of our daughter's wedding set that aside. That is why we are all over NAFO this year and jumped right on the Yosemite trip for next year. I want to do as much as possible while I still can. While my father did a lot, there were still many places he wanted to see that he never got to. I have been to most of them and still have many on my list.

I am thirsty....

Fred W posted: One might argue that paying the bills and raising your daughters IS living your life to the fullest. It just depends on what your definition of really living is. That definition will be widely different things to different people, and changes throughout your life. It is a matter of personal priorities, and you can't let anyone else dictate what those are. Only you can set them.
Truth.

Both of my adult sons came by for a visit over the past two weekends; one with his wife. I spent 20-odd years raising my boys, and do not regret any sacrifices made in that effort.