We don't get to decide....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Tom Waits...
wub.png

Update - 6/30/16

Feeling a little bit melancholy this morning, so I searched for this thread and re-read it for a little inspiration. Good stuff here, man. Good stuff to be sure.

My FIL continues to amaze us. He's been home about a month and goes to Physical Therapy 3 days a week for 8 hours each day. He can walk with a cane. The finer motor skills in his right hand are still a big challenge, but the therapist insist that the only limit to his recovery is his attitude.

If that is true, then he's got plenty of improvement left. He's given up on his career, but perhaps not some kind of vocation. He thinks about how his mental talents might be of use to others, since his physical talents are now limited. We will see how that goes. Regardless and all things considered, his attitude is truly remarkable and I have good confidence that the best is yet to come.

As for me and SWMBO? Our attitudes have changed too. We are trying not to let stupid crap get to us anymore. It takes concentration, but over time it gets easier. The small stuff is just a nuisance that hardly is worth our attention. Right now we are concentrating on the BIG picture. Wrapping up our careers over the next few years and retiring to our paradise.

And where will that paradise be? The jury is still out, but recon missions are in the works. Namely, today after work, we head East to North Georgia for the long weekend to look around.....

..... and dream.

Stay thirsty, my friends....

Last edited by a moderator:
When someone close to us is unexpectedly debilitated or lost it can have a life changing impact on us. It opens our eyes to the fact that we often lose sight of what is important in life and focus on the material side of life, to our detriment.

For Annie and me it was the sudden death of her sister's 48 year old husband from a stroke. His loss and the effect it had on his family were eye opening. Before his death we had a plan that was based on working so as to maximize our retirement income.... everything was based on $$$$. After his death we decided to retire as soon as we became eligible, move to be near my daughter and her family and focus our lives around helping raise our grandchildren and riding motorcycles. It was the right decision for us. It sounds like your FIL's health issues are having the same impact on you and your wife. Good luck to your FIL and good luck to you and your wife as you create your own version of Paradise.

Just revisiting this thread again, and it's great.

Kevin (Ptero...) You obviously live in a really cool place. Take your time deciding whether or not you want to pick up the stakes and move to be near your daughter. I only say that because, if she's fairly young, her career and life could change at any moment, and she could move almost anywhere. Not sure of the situation, but think it through before you move. You're smart enough (after all, you bought an FJR.....) so you will do what's best for you, as it should be.

Last Friday, I rode 210 miles to have lunch with my brother and his son, turned around, and rode 210 miles home. Why? Because I could. And it was fantastic.

As everyone else has said, your next ride could be your last ride. Enjoy it. Ride it like you have to poop, to quote my riding buddy. I'm taking tomorrow (Friday) off from work, and I'm going riding. I don't know where I'm going to ride to, but I'm going. None of my riding buddies can go, so I'll be solo. And I will be smiling. And when I'm too infirmed to ride, and wearing a diaper, and sitting in my own filth, eating pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, a smile will come across my face, for no apparent reason. I will be picturing those days spent riding through the beautiful countryside, on a 70 degree day, without a troublesome thought in my mind. So, ride safe, but ride, whenever you can.

Pants, great wake-up call thread. Keep up the great work.

Just revisiting this thread again, and it's great.
Kevin (Ptero...) You obviously live in a really cool place. Take your time deciding whether or not you want to pick up the stakes and move to be near your daughter. I only say that because, if she's fairly young, her career and life could change at any moment, and she could move almost anywhere. Not sure of the situation, but think it through before you move. You're smart enough (after all, you bought an FJR.....) so you will do what's best for you, as it should be.

Last Friday, I rode 210 miles to have lunch with my brother and his son, turned around, and rode 210 miles home. Why? Because I could. And it was fantastic.

As everyone else has said, your next ride could be your last ride. Enjoy it. Ride it like you have to poop, to quote my riding buddy. I'm taking tomorrow (Friday) off from work, and I'm going riding. I don't know where I'm going to ride to, but I'm going. None of my riding buddies can go, so I'll be solo. And I will be smiling. And when I'm too infirmed to ride, and wearing a diaper, and sitting in my own filth, eating pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, a smile will come across my face, for no apparent reason. I will be picturing those days spent riding through the beautiful countryside, on a 70 degree day, without a troublesome thought in my mind. So, ride safe, but ride, whenever you can.

Pants, great wake-up call thread. Keep up the great work.
We made the move to Montana nearly five years ago. We were living in Alaska when we both retired. Loved Alaska and have ridden back there twice since we retired, but it does limit your motorcycling opportunities. My daughter is a nurse and her husband is a fire fighter... they ain't going nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update 8/5/16

My FIL texted me this morning "I'm at the gym and need some help understanding these machines. Can you come by?"

(Pants) "Absolutely - I'll be there at 10:00 am"

His recovery is truly amazing. He's working hard (I mean HARD) with his therapists, at the gym, at home, and anywhere else he goes. He is absolutely focused on making himself better and becoming more independent. He has let go of his former career and is really concentrating on what is important. That includes his physical health, as well as the other finer things in life that perhaps he may have taken for granted before the stroke.

Quite frankly, seeing him this way is motivational. It reminds me that once again, our time is a fart in the wind. Just when we start to feel and understand it, it's gone. The time is now to play, to wander, to enjoy life. Like my FIL, I'm focused on that like a hound dog chasing rabbits in the woods.

At the same time, I'm reminded that sometimes we get a lemon. When that happens, we all get a choice. Either sit in the corner and suck your thumb, or pick yourself up and move! I don't want a stroke (or similar) to hit me, but if it does, I hope I have the courage to get out of the corner.

Sincerely:

A VERY proud son in law.

Update 9/23/16

My FIL passed his driver's test and there is no looking back now. He works out 5 days a week, and spends a couple hours with a therapist 3 days a week as well. He's asked if I would take him to the LSU/Alabama football game Nov. 5. He wants to climb the stairs and get into his seat by himself. The therapist told him to set goals and work hard to achieve them. He's listening. I told him I'd be honored to bring him, and I am.

If you'd would have told me 6 months ago we'd be here, I would have bet the farm against it.

Pants Life Lesson #142,321: If you need a 2nd chance, and you get one, don't fuck it up.....

Super news!! 6 more months and that grizzled FIL will be back doing something he loves. Heck, he might even be back at some kind of work. He is certain to have a setback when Alabama comes to town. It might actually be the end for Les Miles. Great to hear success stories like this.

Les Miles didn't get to decide. And he did not pay attention to lesson #142321. He truly F'ed it up.
He is still a top 25 coach in the Nation. Didn't they get hosed at the end of the game? And additionally, who are they gonna get that is better? Freaking Boosters!
You like that weird bastard that much, you take him. We hate him.

But since LSU did not ask me, I did not get to decide. (See what I did there?!)

You are absolutely right Fred. Raising my kids to be responsible self-sufficient adults is currently living my life to its fullest. Nothing is more important than that, except being able to feed them and put clothes on them. They are my life. I don't know if that will ever change, but my responsibility will shift at some point, as they take off on their own. Just hoping I live long enough to see that happen.
Daughters turned me into a grandpa, and whats worse my wife into a grandma. Remember, home safe at the end of shift.

Update 11/5/16

Well, today is the day! Yes - today is the day LSU plays Alabama. Big F-ing deal. It's a football game. Somebody is going to win, probably not the boys in purple, JSNS.

But today, I bring my FIL to the game. He's been working so hard EVERY day to continue to build his strength. He's been focusing every day on this day, when he will get himself to his seat and truly enjoy something that he loves. I'll be right there with him. I suppose he takes some comfort in knowing that I'm there just in case he needs a hand.

But what he may now know is that I'll be there right next to him CELEBRATING. I'll be beeming inside with pride at the recovery he has made. I'll be thinking about how far he has come in a relatively short period of time. And I'll be quietly but abundantly thankful to him for inspiring me to take a personal inventory of my own life. To realize how short our tour on this 3rd rock from the sun is. To live more every day. To realize and accept that today might be the last, and if it shall be that way, to be peaceful in the thought that I have lived a good life.

On the outside, I'll be shouting and rooting for the Tigers. But on the inside, I'll be cheering for something far more important.