Weather getting better!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wetdog

Reaction score
Hello fellow SW-FOG riders....I'm still not sure I'll be attending the upcoming ride....If I do I'll have to show up on the second day. Weather up here in Northern Arizona starting to improve. Had the bike out for it's first "real" ride. Up until now I've just made short trips around town.. Today I fired it up and rode about 250 miles. Bike was great, but I did make a discovery.....I don't like the seat (or my ass).....one of the before meationed has to go....the stock seat is not going to make it on a 500+ ride. I started looking at new seats and some of the seat covers. I was wondering what opion. you guys had???? I know others areas have comments on seat, but I figure I would most like run into guys from the southwest area on the roads first, not to meantion we have special "HEAT" consideration here in the SW. What do you guys thinks of some of the seat covering (beaded, sheep skin, gel) or custom seats????? Any experiences winter/summer?????

I'll agree with you about that stock seat! Here's what I finally did about it. Bill Mayer Saddle write-up

Mine is now showing on their website BMS Website. I'm very pleased thusfar. Have yet to really put it to the test, but hope to soon.

As an alternative solution, some have opted for the wooden bead seat pads (ala NYC taxi driver) for IBA rallies and warm weather travel.

I have a Russel Day Long and love it. Live in Tucson

and have no trouble with the heat.

Joe

Glad someone responded with there opinions. I have been looking at the Russell, but I hadn't seen the Bill Mayer Saddle. It looks impressive. I have to find something, I have serveral multi-day/multi-mile rides to take this summer. Stock seat is okay for short rides, but I can't see a 400-500 mile day on one.

Glad someone responded with there opinions. I have been looking at the Russell, but I hadn't seen the Bill Mayer Saddle. It looks impressive. I have to find something, I have serveral multi-day/multi-mile rides to take this summer. Stock seat is okay for short rides, but I can't see a 400-500 mile day on one.

Wetdog...

I just got my seats back from Russell. I've only got about 50 miles in the new saddle...but already I can feel that it is

a HUGE improvement in comfort (supposed to take 500-1000 mi to break in) over the stock. I feel like I will be able to

stay in the saddle all day. With the stock I was uncomfortable after only 30 min. One consideration. The Russell seat

will sit you higher and it's wings makes it harder to plant foot. I have a 36" inseam and I have put my seat back down

to low...and still it feels kind of tall for me. But not a big issue for me. If your shorter...then you may want to look at

the Sergent...it will allow you to sit lower and reach easier.

I'm in the Southern NM deserts so butt heat will be an issue for me too. I am gonna try a beaded pad for some airflow

this summer.

I have the Russell Daylong and it lives up to it's name. Heat can still be an issue as it has a vinyl cover. I am considering the wooden beads to help in that area.

Hope to meet you at SWFOG.

Burk

Let me know how the saddle feels after break in and after you spend a few hundred miles in the seat. I don't think the height thing will be a problem (I'm 6"4"). Also Badcat let me know what you think of the beads....I thought that would be good for the heat. If they're okay I might buy some until I order a new seat. I heard some say the bead work good by themselves. :blink: