Weekly Harley Rant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been riding for over 10 years and have never run into any of our Harley brethren being assholes. Juz cracks me up when the HD bashin' starts. Can't we all just get along? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I've been riding for over 10 years and have never run into any of our Harley brethren being assholes. Juz cracks me up when the HD bashin' starts. Can't we all just get along? :thumbsupsmileyanim:
In 10 years? Really? Of course, you may not have the percentage of cruiser-types and tourer-types that gather and purposely block roadways that we are privileged to experience in the Sierras and along the coastal highways.

J.B. may have experienced the behavior of two Harley riders, but the Goldwing/touring trios-sextets are just as famous, in my general area, for enjoying the scenery @ 5-10 miles below the speed limit and making sure everyone behind them shares the same joy.

And, yes, I have seen groups (from 3-8 bikes of both "types") check their mirrors and tighten their formation to prevent someone from passing....

It does give one a great opportunity to work on and apply patience coupled with understanding that "my" (in a generic application) style is the "right " style.

In 10 years? Really? Of course, you may not have the percentage of cruiser-types and tourer-types that gather and purposely block roadways that we are privileged to experience in the Sierras and along the coastal highways.

J.B. may have experienced the behavior of two Harley riders, but the Goldwing/touring trios-sextets are just as famous, in my general area, for enjoying the scenery @ 5-10 miles below the speed limit and making sure everyone behind them shares the same joy.

And, yes, I have seen groups (from 3-8 bikes of both "types") check their mirrors and tighten their formation to prevent someone from passing....

It does give one a great opportunity to work on and apply patience coupled with understanding that "my" (in a generic application) style is the "right " style.
Hey Now Dougie Mikey, stop your screaming away at Hondapotamus-Fairlaner, doncarver, BikerGeek and Papa Chuy; damnit to Hell, we're putting along as fast as we can! jes' sayin'-nuff' said!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Now Dougie Mikey, stop your screaming away at Hondapotamus-Fairlaner, doncarver, BikerGeek and Papa Chuy; damnit to Hell, we're putting along as fast as we can! jes' sayin'-nuff' said!
Now, Papa Chuy, you know that wasn't a rant. It is stating facts based on experience.

None of us like it when it happens but it is just as much a part of the motorcycle lifestyle as trucks and RVs clogging roads and refusing to use turn-outs. We all must learn to wait for our opportunity to exercise our option to pass.

I'm not picking on riders of that style or type of bike, I've followed cruiser and touring riders (including the famous brand assembled in Milwaukee) that set a pace that was challenging for me. Everyone should have the chance to follow a couple of our local Sierra and foothills residents out enjoying the day on their V-twin....it WILL challenge any preconceptions about that motorcycles ability (or lack thereof) to hustle on a winding road.

I'm jiss sayin'....

It's impossible to pass a pack without breaking ranks and jumping in the middle of their formation or doing a blow your doors off type pass that is then perceived as showing off. I know this pisses them off but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm tired of Harley always taking the rap for this kind of behavior. I've seen metric cruiser and sport bike packs blocking the road as well. I've shown up behind some cruiser riders that I swore were gonna end up off the road because they were about to cross the line of their abilities in an effort to keep me from passing. Some people take getting passed personal.

TurboDave has the best approach to this situation.

At a gas stop, he strides over to the 20+ Harley Herd and states to the leader -

"Wait until we leave first. That way we won't have to pass you again!"

It's impossible to pass a pack without breaking ranks and jumping in the middle of their formation or doing a blow your doors off type pass that is then perceived as showing off. I know this pisses them off but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm tired of Harley always taking the rap for this kind of behavior. I've seen metric cruiser and sport bike packs blocking the road as well. I've shown up behind some cruiser riders that I swore were gonna end up off the road because they were about to cross the line of their abilities in an effort to keep me from passing. Some people take getting passed personal.
What???!!! I would NEVER wedge myself into a group of cruisers, or pass them at 7500rpm in third gear. That would just be rude...Right Don?

What???!!! I would NEVER wedge myself into a group of cruisers, or pass them at 7500rpm in third gear. That would just be rude...Right Don rushes?
Gunny, as rude as Rushes!

Maybe its just me. But I think it unworthy of any motorcyclist to impede traffic on an open highway. Usually when I come up on a pack of Harleys they have 5 or 6 cars behind them with grandmom's and librarians at the wheel that are stuffed by the 50-55 MPH Harley group. So now I'm on my favorite twisty route that I spent a half day to get to and I have a choice. 1) Ride at the Harley group pace and behind the grandmoms OR 2)pass them all as I see the opportunity present itself. I'll let you guess what I typically do. Harley groups are the worst violators...Gold Wings are next. The Gold Wings I can't understand as they are truely performance bikes. Why pay for that performance if you ain't gonna use it.

Bill

This has been an interesting subject, An issue viewed by different individuals of the motorcycle spectrum from vantage points across the U.S. and Canada. complete with individuals actions and reactions.

I have not had to deal with large packs of pirates or the space invaders on crotch rockets. Just a few here and there. The issue for our roads is the H.U.A. tourists, from Volvos packed tight to Cab0ver campers, and Subaru's stuffed with smelly dirt firsters, they all do 35-45mph on any turn, and then hit 70mph at the first hint of a straight section, their favorite is passing lanes, if you get by them at 80mph and slow down because it a 55mph zone, they will repass you and then assume their snail pace once again in the two lane section.

As far as Harleys being slow or fast, seems to me the only time I see a fast Harley is normally in a very crowded parking lot with lots of kids loose and women around for the cocks feathers to flair. Parking lot racers, generally with loud pipes. It always makes my panties wet.

My .02 cents worth..

FWFE

I have seen groups (from 3-8 bikes of both "types") check their mirrors and tighten their formation to prevent someone from passing....
I'm guilty of shrinking a group when someone tries to pass. But.......for the purpose of making the group smaller and decreasing the passing distance for the overtaking vehicle.

It's impossible to pass a pack without breaking ranks and jumping in the middle of their formation,
Nothing pisses me off more than someone doing just that. Car, truck, or MC, anyone that dives into my safe following distance to make a leap frog pass is not welcome. It's a public hiway, not NASCAR. A known rider, with known abilities will be tolerated, but not loved for such actions. Strangers (on MC's) are pushing their luck. If I have to grab a hand full of brake to prevent ass ending an interloper, it's a safety issue. I've had strange to me riders force their way into a fast moving pack from the left lane (of a 4 lane road), brake hard to make a space on their right and hit an exit when it would have been just as quick and easy to tuck in behind or overtake to make the exit.

or doing a blow your doors off type pass that is then perceived as showing off.
Totally acceptable (and preferred) behavior in my book. If I'm in the lead, I'll always brake tap and let you blow by.

I'm tired of Harley always taking the rap for this kind of behavior. I've seen metric cruiser and sport bike packs blocking the road as well.
This has been my experience as well. The Ozarks are in my backyard. I've had more troubles with dawdlin', unskilled sport bike *owners*. The type that flies past you on a straight, emergency braking to go around a curve (at 20 below the posted speed), and then tears out again. All the while causing you to ride the brakes to keep off of them in the curves.

Finally, Harley tribe steps up and speaks out! :yahoo:
You KNOW that I'm not barking at the Harley Tribe. It's ANY tribe that isn't or doesn't try to ew courteous.

When I'm in "tourist mode" (And yes, smarty-pant's-Papa Chuy, it does happen), I always keep an eye on my "6" and flag others around when it's safe. When we were in Banff last year, a couple of cars caught us (they were waaaay more prepared to drive that much faster) I would give room ahead of me and then flag them by, Sam (Nightshine) did the same and so did Rich (exskibum).

IMO, it's a matter of attitude and willingness to share the road rather than protecting one's little piece of it. My blocking another's progress isn't going to teach them anything, it isn't going to influence them to slow down....it's going to raise their intolerance anc anxiety and cause them to possibly over-drive their abilities. THAT makes the situation dangerous to me and it's MY fault for elevating the emotions.

YMMV.

Points from a different perspective (or side of the road?)

All road UK users were told (in "The Highway Code", a booklet we had to learn to pass our driving test) that we should leave room in front of us for an overtaking vehicle. Obviously, this is impractical on modern roads and traffic conditions, certainly in the UK. But we should all be prepared to allow a faster vehicle to pass, and make room as necessary.

The problem comes when a slow group of bikes wants to stay together. Being passed by cars will inevitably lead to the group being broken up, so (I'm guessing, I'm no shrink) they build a mentality that says no-one should pass. Well, I'm sorry, if I'm being held up, I will pass. If I have to pull into the middle of a reluctant group, I will do so, so long as I believe it's safe and that I'll be able to get by the rest sooner rather than later. If that upsets them, tough titties.

The strangest experience I've had was when passing a group of HDs and clones, about ten bikes, doing perhaps 5mph below the posted speed. We're on a winding country road, markings precluding using the "wrong" side of the road in many places, and light traffic coning the other way. As I approached, I could see the rear bikes begin to bunch up, obviously not really wanting me to pass. When it became obvious they weren't going to co-operate, I waited my moment, and took the rear two at speed, braked hard to pull into their group. Having done this to a few more in ones, twos and threes, I found myself third in line as we entered a 30mph zone in a village.

Now the scary bit. These two in front seemed to desperately want me to pass, they were almost scraping the curb in their desire to make room for me, even though they were doing the posted thirty and it should have been obvious I wasn't pushing to overtake - I didn't want to with pedestrians milling around. In the end I did squirt past because I could see them hitting the curb and coming off in front of me.

I still don't know how I should have dealt with that!

I've not done much group riding, but when I have it's been with well disciplined groups, with a leader (on an FJR) who has a lot of experience. The groups have always had competent riders, the group ability ranging between fairly boring to me being the least able (but that was the most fun). When a vehicle wants to go faster than us, we will individually allow them to pass. (Occasionally our leader will ride ahead to play with a Porsche or a Hayabusa, but never forgets the group, and will be found stopped in a lay-by further up the road with a big grin on his face.)

If, for any reason, the group does get split, he will pull us over into a lay-by top let the group re-form, and will always ensure we all follow at a turn-off.

The most difficult passing to deal with is one group passing another. I've been in both the passing and the passed group, and on each occasion both groups have been disciplined and co-operative. Had one group been otherwise, it could have got very interesting.

Finally, Harley tribe steps up and speaks out! :yahoo:
'You KNOW that I'm not barking at the Harley Tribe. It's ANY tribe that isn't or doesn't try to ew courteous."

Mi Querido Hermano Donaldo: +1, Gunny! Don't be lulled into a false sense of security by these FJR Forum Harley Bashing Bastards! These cucksockers think it is cute to pour half a quart of oil under our Milwaukee Tractors and then giggle their silly asses of when we see the puddle!

They are all Pinche Cabron Chingon Pendejos!

Its true. I ride in the PNW (OR, WA, ID, and BC) and MT mostly. But usually don't run across bonehead HD riders. Having said that - the wife just came back from MT yesterdy in her car and around Coeur d'Alene, ID she said there was about 500 Harley riders pluggin' the left lane of hiway 90 (two lanes in one direction). She said it was difficult to get around these guys. They did not let her in when she needed to get around a car in the slow lane. Real pain. OP original rant makes sense. I just get tired of all the Harley bashin' that seems to go on. Hey - but that's just me. :p

I just love these threads! We go from pissed off and impassioned, to reasonable and well-thought-out. I tend to go through both extremes while on the same stretch of road, following the same bunch of assclowns. All I know for sure is, they may not see the smile, but they damn sure see me wave as I go on by!

I find these type of topics very entertaining. I'm sure many forum members only want to read about nuts and bolts, tires, oil, etc..I like those too if and when they apply to what I need to know. But these more emotional threads provide me entertainment and sometimes are thought provoking. Let em rip I say.

Bill

I find that IQ drops relative to the number of, and somtimes type of, riders riding together. Hurd mentality makes it easier to ride and to not have to think at the same time, just follow. Kinda like what most people do when driving a cage.