Weird "E Speeding Ticket" from NY State

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricks.06

Reaction score
So I did go on a nice 3500 mile trip through the northeast around the 4th. This morning I received the following email.

New York State — Department of Motor Vehicles

UNIFORM TRAFFIC TICKET

POLICE AGENCY

NEW YORK STATE POLICE>

Local Police Code

THE PERSON DESCRIBED ABOVE IS CHARGED AS FOLLOWS

Time

7:25 AM

Date of Offense

07/05/2011

IN VIOLATION OF

NYS V AND T LAW

Description of Violation

SPEED OVER 55 ZONE

TO PLEAD, PRINT OUT THE ENCLOSED TICKET AND SEND IT TO TOWN COURT, CHATAM HALL., PO BOX 117

Funny thing- I wasn't in NY the morning of the 5th. I left Boston that day at Noon to head through NY state. Has anyone ever seen this before? Weird!

Scam...

How on earth would a PD get your email? PD there might or might not aware, would call them, maybe a lawyer first. A PO BOX for a PD? That right there would make me double suspicious.

Since when are the NY State Troopers part of the Department of Motor Vehicles?? No phone number to call either, which I believe is available on any printed traffic ticket. No exact info as to location of the violation, no zip code on the address, and yes, a PO box?? Print it out and send it in...how much is the fine?? I call bullshit.

That sounds like a total scam.

I just got an e-mail stating that I am a long lost decendent of an African prince (my Irish mother and father never mentioned anything like this to me) who recently died. I stand to inherit $10 million; all I need to do is send them my name (which, come to think of it, they should already have), address, phone number, social security number, bank account numbers and $175 in cash to cover shipping and handling charges.

There were several typos in the e-mail (which seems odd since they claim to be a legal firm representing my long lost African relative's estate), and they never mention my name specifically. Should I be suspicious?

ANY email that says "open the attached whatever" is a malware container. Even if it came from a trusted email address.

I just got an e-mail stating that I am a long lost decendent of an African prince (my Irish mother and father never mentioned anything like this to me) who recently died. I stand to inherit $10 million; all I need to do is send them my name (which, come to think of it, they should already have), address, phone number, social security number, bank account numbers and $175 in cash to cover shipping and handling charges.

There were several typos in the e-mail (which seems odd since they claim to be a legal firm representing my long lost African relative's estate), and they never mention my name specifically. Should I be suspicious?
No you shouldn't.

In fact - if you send me the same information requested and the original email, I can look further into whether this is a suspicious email or not.

...waiting for email... :D

No you shouldn't.

In fact - if you send me the same information requested and the original email, I can look further into whether this is a suspicious email or not.

Good thing you in the Midwest, I provide this service on the east coast and don't look kindly on people trying to get in on my territory.

I know some guys who know some guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
No you shouldn't.

Good thing you in the Midwest, I provide this service on the east coast and don't look kindly on people trying to get in on my territory.

I know some guys who know some guys.
Well, being from Chicago...I happens to know some guys who know guys as well. You and me will come to an understanding...you know what I mean? ;)

EDIT: BTW, "Bigsie" says Hi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you by any chance related to that other famous Irish/African/American O'Bama? :rolleyes:

Don

Thanks fellas. Funny thing is I traveled across the entire state East to West on the day that was stated in the email. I hauled ass that day so at first glance, I crapped my pants.

No need to investigate the sender. I wired my $350 to Nigeria and took care of it :blink:

I found this on-line today:

ALBANY, N.Y. -- State Police are issuing a warning to residents about a hoax in which an email is sent claiming to be a copy of a traffic ticket from the DMV issued by the State Police. Investigators said this email is not from the Department of Motor Vehicles or State Police.

The email mail requests that the recipient open an attached zip file, which is a fake copy of a traffic ticket to fill out and send to a town court. The zip file is believed to contain a computer virus. The subject line of the email may read, “UNIFORM TRAFFIC TICKET.”

The State Police Computer Forensics Lab is analyzing the file.

If you receive this, investigators say do not open the email or the attachment. If you've opened the attachment, investigators say you should update and run anti-virus software and take steps to be sure your computer system is secure. Do not forward the email to police.

Yea, I would have been suspicious from the start...how in the hell would they have had your email? The variation of email scams is wide and very deep...plus entertaining in most circumstances. UPS apparently has a ton of packages waiting for me...if only I'd open those "tracking number" attachments, lol. Wasn't there a site where the members followed up on those emails to scam the scammers?

Nigerian 419 Scam. Several sites where scamees lead the scammer down a twisty garden path. Some of the victims are very creative.

Dennis