Weird handling after GIVI top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And all this time I thought it was R2D2, riding in his special carrying case, using some hi-tech stuff that was keeping us stable at speed.
uhoh.gif

IMG_0248.JPG

I have noticed the high speed side to side movement with the V46 on the bike. It has only happened once on the interstate northbound out of Portland. I actually stopped at the next exit to see if my rear tire was flat.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess would be that the larger your windshield is the more likely you are to notice this problem.

If I raise my factory touring screen all the way, I can feel the air start to hit me in the back. Lowered an inch or two and I feel no back pressure.

I never feel back pressure with the standard screen at any height.

I am guessing the larger your quiet air "bubble" is, the more likely your trunk will be in the turbulent air on the backside.

I've never noticed the problem on my bike with either screen. I do have a fairly small trunk though. It has been tested at triple digits.

I've been well over XXX speeds with both bags and the top box (E460) on, and have never, ever felt any type of weave. Like someone said above, maybe because I'm a bigger guy? 6'3" and wide shoulders so maybe I'm punching thru the air differently than the original poster?

Yeah, I am 6'2", 225, somewhat wide shoulders.

Frankly, I'm starting to wonder if the V-stream is part of the issue. I've been riding the bike w/o the top box, and there's still something unusual there that wasn't present when I was riding with the Cee Bailey.

I think I may try a Calsci large windscreen to see how things improve. The V-stream screen actually moves around a fair amount while I'm riding, which I don't like.

So, you bolted a "sail" on the back of your FJR and it handles differently. Really? Umm, what did you expect? Wait until you ride in a strong cross wind. I bet $100 it'll want to drift in the direction the wind is blowing. Any takers?

Wait until you ride in a strong cross wind. I bet $100 it'll want to drift in the direction the wind is blowing. Any takers?
I could really care less about drift, this more of a side-to-side oscillation that happen regardless of what's in front/to the side of me.

I'm gonna blame highway 167 for the weave. ;)

I have the same issue on my 07 FJR when the OEM topbox is installed and I don't have a passenger. It doesn't feel scary unsafe, but more of an annoyance. I've never worried about it because it's unusual for me to have the topbox on without a passenger.

I've never considered my windshield choice and cannot even remember which shield was on when I've had the weave. I'd offer any of mine for you to try, but I have a vastly superior Gen II ;) so none will fit your bike.

I put the hugemongous E55 on my FJR. Took it for a little spin yesterday and on the way to work this morning. Didn't notice anything squirrelly. But like some others, I'm a big ol' boy and the wind has to get around me before it gets back there. And I think I'm wide enough that the two streams don't come back together for a couple of car lengths. 99% of the time my stock windscreen is in the lowest position since I prefer the wind.

15331178958_57ae55ba39_c.jpg

45L Givi top box + vstream + gps-reported speeds up to 120 mph (so far) + 36/42 psi. No more impact to handling than what I'd expect from a top case + current wind conditions.

Nankoweap, Are all those toys yours? Bike for everyday of the week - nice!
Thanks. Not all of them. The boy has the little dirt bike and the woman has the Ninja 2-fiddy. The rest have followed me home over the years. I'm trying to shake up the garage a bit. The 2013 FJR is sold, but I have an 05 GL1800, 07 ST1300 and a 2012 Super Tenere.... if you're interested. :) I'm trying to get down to a two-bike garage not counting the little dirt bike and the 2-fiddy, of course.

I can confirm the E55 with the OEM Touring screen in up or down gives a wiggle without a passenger above 60. It's not bad, feels like you are being hit by a crosswind. But it completely disappears with a passenger of course.

I have an '04 with a Givi. It is about 20" across x 15" front to back x 11.5" tall. I don't remember what size that is in liters, but it is stable up past 135 MPH. I have an '03 screen (shorter than '04) and I'm pretty wide myself.
smile.png

Does that sound like a 46 liter?

IMG_1848_CC_zps698ae3ae.jpg

Anybody know how to rotate the pic? It's right in Photobucket.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I installed the GIVI specific rack on my 2004 FJR yesterday, and popped on E52 that I got locally for a good price.
This morning, I head off down the road, and as soon as I exceed 60 mph, I can immediately feel some side to side movement that wasn't there yesterday. This is bad enough on the freeway that I exited to check tire pressure, as the bike really didn't want to track in a straight line. Tire pressures are all where they should be (36 front, 40 rear, just as it was when I purchased the bike).

Doing some searching, there are some complaints about this problem, but not a lot of resolution other than sticking a passenger on the bike. Apparently it also doesn't help that I have a V-stream windscreen.

Any ideas?

What mechanism is at work? Is this air coming up, over, and pushing down on the box, or is this air coming around and pushing on the sides of the box? Tighten up your rear suspension, run 42 lbs air pressure in the tires, lower the shield some. Some of the ST1300 had the same issue, that is why Honda never sold a top box in the states for it. Might be your V-Stream shield forcing air back into your E52 box. That is a pretty big top box. I run a V46 box with a Cee- Baily shield on my 2014 FJR and do not have an issue up to 105mph. Have not taken it any faster as of yet.

So I installed the GIVI specific rack on my 2004 FJR yesterday, and popped on E52 that I got locally for a good price.
This morning, I head off down the road, and as soon as I exceed 60 mph, I can immediately feel some side to side movement that wasn't there yesterday. This is bad enough on the freeway that I exited to check tire pressure, as the bike really didn't want to track in a straight line. Tire pressures are all where they should be (36 front, 40 rear, just as it was when I purchased the bike).

Doing some searching, there are some complaints about this problem, but not a lot of resolution other than sticking a passenger on the bike. Apparently it also doesn't help that I have a V-stream windscreen.

Any ideas?

What mechanism is at work? Is this air coming up, over, and pushing down on the box, or is this air coming around and pushing on the sides of the box?
Tighten up your rear suspension, run 42 lbs air pressure in the tires, lower the shield some. Some of the ST1300 had the same issue, that is why Honda never sold a top box in the states for it. Might be your V-Stream shield forcing air back into your E52 box. That is a pretty big top box. I run a V46 box with a Cee- Baily shield on my 2014 FJR and do not have an issue up to 105mph. Have not taken it any faster as of yet.