Weird handling after GIVI top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I installed the GIVI specific rack on my 2004 FJR yesterday, and popped on E52 that I got locally for a good price.
This morning, I head off down the road, and as soon as I exceed 60 mph, I can immediately feel some side to side movement that wasn't there yesterday. This is bad enough on the freeway that I exited to check tire pressure, as the bike really didn't want to track in a straight line. Tire pressures are all where they should be (36 front, 40 rear, just as it was when I purchased the bike).

Doing some searching, there are some complaints about this problem, but not a lot of resolution other than sticking a passenger on the bike. Apparently it also doesn't help that I have a V-stream windscreen.

Any ideas?

What mechanism is at work? Is this air coming up, over, and pushing down on the box, or is this air coming around and pushing on the sides of the box?
Tighten up your rear suspension, run 42 lbs air pressure in the tires, lower the shield some. Some of the ST1300 had the same issue, that is why Honda never sold a top box in the states for it. Might be your V-Stream shield forcing air back into your E52 box. That is a pretty big top box. I run a V46 box with a Cee- Baily shield on my 2014 FJR and do not have an issue up to 105mph. Have not taken it any faster as of yet.

IMG_0248.JPG
What tank bag is that?
It is a sw-motech tank bag
smile.png
But an older model i think..

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum/21-accessories-/8412-sw-motech-cool-tank-bag.html

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-luggage/bags-connection/daypack.htm

https://www.theyeagergroup.com/Bags_Connection_Tankbag_Install.html

Body size, gen, windshield, and trim, and rider size make a difference. I've got the E55 on my Gen III. Mine produces no handling effects behind the stock toy windshield, the yamaha touring shield, or the large Cee Bailey. Even with crosswinds, even at closed track speeds.

So I installed the GIVI specific rack on my 2004 FJR yesterday, and popped on E52 that I got locally for a good price.
This morning, I head off down the road, and as soon as I exceed 60 mph, I can immediately feel some side to side movement that wasn't there yesterday. This is bad enough on the freeway that I exited to check tire pressure, as the bike really didn't want to track in a straight line. Tire pressures are all where they should be (36 front, 40 rear, just as it was when I purchased the bike).

Doing some searching, there are some complaints about this problem, but not a lot of resolution other than sticking a passenger on the bike. Apparently it also doesn't help that I have a V-stream windscreen.

Any ideas?

What mechanism is at work? Is this air coming up, over, and pushing down on the box, or is this air coming around and pushing on the sides of the box?