Well, I CRASHED again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always sucks to hear that someone has gone down. Sorry about the bike and glad to hear you are ok. Thanx for sharing your 'experience' and get well soon.

I think I'm going out to buy some sliders!!!! They are on my list but I'll make them a priority now!!!!

Fooshman - The skid marks are diagonal to the street . Unless it has to do with the curve denoted by the double yellow (doubtful, as you would've been on or over the line), you were already turning right pretty hard to avoid the cat when you locked the tire. The tire didn't slide out, you went down on the left because you high-sided. I doubt you'd even remember but it's gut instinct survival (avoid bad stuff) and is what the marks say.
You mentioned practicing stops, but it would be really hard to make a sudden turn and then hit the really brakes hard. With that length skid, you probably would've been fine if going straight. Not a criticism, just an observation to help train for the next cat.

Checkswrecks
The road is significantly crowned there, and a sliding tire (or bike) slides downhill. I hear what you're saying, though, and I wonder if the grab on the brakes pulled the bar some?

Dang man, sorry about the slip-n-slide.
However, this is starting to look like a very obvious case of karma imbalance. If I remember correctly from posted pictures, you just so happened to marry waaaaaaay above your own personal standing. This is all fine and dandy when one can pull this off, but one must remember that this creates a riff in the great cosmic-karma continuum. This riff is the equivalent of a deficit, or bill-to-be-paid, if you will. The dreaded cosmic-karma-chameleon (not the same one made famous by Boy George) comes calling to collect said bill and re-balance the forces of cosmic-karma.

In my case, it cost me a mere 29 bone-breaks. Still, a bargain.

So, IIRC from the pictures of you and your SO, two crashes sounds about right. Of course, you might want to make a donation to United Way just to be sure.
The hell with balancing karma, I'd just like to keep the bike balanced now!!! :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Next timemake sure you accelerate when you hit the cat. I ahve hit a few small animals in my time ...possum...groundhog. A little gas will smooth'em right out. if you dont believe me ask my avatar :)

Glad you made it out relatively unscathed... the bike can be fixed.

Easy to say "run over the damned cat" but I know in practice the instinct is to avoid the collision. Hopefully the cat got eaten by a coyote as it ran away.

I learned first-hand the value of sliders last week when I got caught in a freak snowstorm, and low-sided (low speed) twice. Yours seem to have done their job, as did mine.

Griff

A little gas will smooth'em right out. if you dont believe me ask
av-5155.jpg
No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'!

-Monty Python pet shoppe sketch

Those ankles strains really suck, especially if you tear major ligaments. A few years back I slipped off the side of a trailered boat and fell about 4 feet onto concrete. All my weigh (200 lbs) came down on the left side of my left ankle. As my ankle contacted the ground my left foot folded up under me. X-ray's showed no broken bones but the doc said I would have been better off if my ankle would have just snapped. I ended up tearing major ligaments up my leg. MAN was that painful! It took 3 weeks for the swelling to go down (initially monster sized ankle). The worst part was it took 18 months before I could walk without pain. Hopefully you didn't do that much damage.

With the adrendaline rush, it's easy to "over-do" the binders in a panic situation. I never thought about this angle before, but ABS may have really helped in your situation.

Hope you heal quickly, your bike repairs go quickly, and the cat dies.

SR-71

Damn cat :angry: :angry: Maybe it will show up at the local buffet :dribble: Glad you're OK......it sucks when that happens! I have had a couple of spills like that (wet leaves and gravel. bad combo) and it's no fun. You're body panels seemed to fair better than last time though.........but those ones still look great on my bike!!! Thanks for those....well.....I'm not thankful that you had to go down for me to end up with them...........you know what I mean :))

Anyways.........take it easy, have a few beers and enjoy that florida sun!!!! Get well

Remember,

scars heal,

broken bones will mend................and you'll ride that JFR again :yahoo:

Was that too corny????

Hey, this is annoying:

On closer inspection of the jacket, I found a place where about 3-quarters of an inch worth of stitching came out. The leather's not on top of the mesh, it's two different panels. Had that come apart, it would have been just me under there.

DSC_0032.jpg

They don't make this jacket any more, but I may see if I can send this info to Tour Master anyway, see what they make of it.

Hey, this is annoying:
On closer inspection of the jacket, I found a place where about 3-quarters of an inch worth of stitching came out. The leather's not on top of the mesh, it's two different panels. Had that come apart, it would have been just me under there.

DSC_0032.jpg

They don't make this jacket any more, but I may see if I can send this info to Tour Master anyway, see what they make of it.
Jesus dude...Stop falling off your bike! You're freaking the rest of us out!! I'm glad your ok, and I'm glad all your gear worked. Just a couple of observations though...Has anyone noticed that at approx. 30mph (isnt that what you estimated), Woofshee's FJR traveled less distance than that BMW kuckle-head with the new tires? And also did you see that during this thread, your post count hit 666? WTF is that all about? Maybe Satan wants your bike.................

That baby seal doesn't look very flat, daly.
daze made'a rubba or sumpin. he jes bounced back... but he didnt get back up :rolleyes:

PS Wfooshee, stitches are THE weakness of most gear. Funny thing is it seems that a lot of gear makers are going in the direction of more stitching so as to make prettier gear.

Fooshman - The skid marks are diagonal to the street . Unless it has to do with the curve denoted by the double yellow (doubtful, as you would've been on or over the line), you were already turning right pretty hard to avoid the cat when you locked the tire. The tire didn't slide out, you went down on the left because you high-sided. I doubt you'd even remember but it's gut instinct survival (avoid bad stuff) and is what the marks say.
You mentioned practicing stops, but it would be really hard to make a sudden turn and then hit the really brakes hard. With that length skid, you probably would've been fine if going straight. Not a criticism, just an observation to help train for the next cat.

Checkswrecks
The road is significantly crowned there, and a sliding tire slides downhill. I hear what you're saying, though, and I wonder if the grab on the brakes pulled the bar some?
You'd have to have a really significant slope, and brakes alone on a one-track vehicle won't move you sideways.

I was thinking about those marks some more - always dangerous. The initial write-up was so strong about the front brakes that I over-focused on them in jotting down a quick response.

Couldn't you have actually touched the rear brake pedal? It'd be a totally common reaction and with weight-shift forward from using the fronts, especially in a slight curve (double yellow), it wouldn't take much for the rear to lock up. The spacing of the slider, white mark (probably engine case, shifter, or foot-peg), and skid really suggest the rear tire skidding then being lifted as the hard parts hit, not the front tire. That'd also make more sense for the divergence of the slider and tire marks as the back came around. If you're actually interested enough, checking the skid width against your tires would tell really fast.

Oh well, either way, it still sucks to fall. I'm likely going to be on your side of Pensacola in June and if it works out I'll buy you a beer.

Bob

I think I'll stop putting off getting sliders now. :blink:

Next timemake sure you accelerate when you hit the cat. I ahve hit a few small animals in my time ...possum...groundhog. A little gas will smooth'em right out. if you dont believe me ask my avatar :)
Gunny! If it's not too big and you can use it as a speed bump, do it! Better than going down.

Don't the alligators there keep the cat population down? :butcher:

Sorry to hear of your mishap, glad you're OK.

Now the bike has more character...

While I am sorry about your get off, and I hope you heel up quick, I can't believe how insensitive everyone is being toward that harmless little cat. The comments scare me. We are all on this planet together and we need to respect each others lives. That poor little cat didn't know what he/she was doing. It was going out for a little run just like we do on our bikes. It wasn't on purpose when she ran out in front of the bike. Please be more loving towards our fellow living beings and let's all just try to get along.