Were You at YFO? You Dodged a Bullet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Air quality in Yosemite today... :(

yose.jpg

Tragic news, Mariposa has been a special place for me for years, for forays into and out of Yosemite.

Prayers for the town and for the fire fighters! Hoping for the best possible outcome!

So far. The fire's still only 10% contained, per the local news half an hour ago.

So depressing to drive through recently burned land. I'm not looking forward to my next trip down that way.

Yep, they had some awesome video on the news tonight showing clips and photos. It wasn't us, Yosemite and the whole Sierra Nevada Mountain range is a very active and sometimes a bit dangerous.

Last Saturday I rode the Feej from my house in Kingsburg to Oakhurst, then took Highway 49 all the way to Placerville and back home for a day trip. It was my first chance to see the damage done by the Detwiler Fire, and it was significant.

Although the fire was virtually on the doorstep of town, you have to get a bit north of town (on 49) before you can see the devastation that was done. Once you hit the damage in earnest, it runs virtually all the way to Coulterville. The area through the canyon down to Bagby and back to the north side (of the canyon) was completely torched, and with coming winter rains could be a real problem.

The damage is just heartbreaking to see, and it is amazing the number of houses that should have been consumed were somehow saved by the diligent work of firefighters. They truly went above and beyond the call of duty - kudos to all who served!

The cause you ask?? According to the CalFire website "discharge of firearms on public lands". Argh.....