West Virginia Spring Ramble-Planning stages

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaholic

Reaction score
Well, for the past couple of years I've hosted an Ohio Fall and Spring Ramble ride for FJR's in the area. We've had a great time meeting the area riders, riding nice twisties, bench racing, etc.

This year I've decided (with input from past attendees) to do a West Virginia ride instead. The roads are better maintained and offer better scenery than in Ohio.

What I need from those who may attend is input on the event so that it meets everyone's expectations:

1.) Would you like to make this a 2 day ride?

2.) If yes to #1, what type of place do you want to stay (cheap motel, motor lodge, mountain resort, bed and breakfast, state park resort, etc)?

2.) What do you want to do? Just ride good roads or is there a destination you want to see such as the New River Gorge, Radio telescope, Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley park, etc?

3.) When can you attend? Late April is likely the earliest time I would plan the event. There are several high-altitude (for the east coast) mountain ranges we will cross. Early May would be wiser. Throw out some dates!!! I'm flexible.

4.) If we decide to do a multiple day ride, my thought is to ride Fri/Sat to allow those a day to return home on Sunday. Everyone OK with this? Any other thoughts?

5.) Starting point? End point? My thought is to start in either Parkersburg, Charleston, Clarksburg, or along the PA/OH/WV Ohio River Valley border. Does this matter much to you guys? If not, I'll decide as plans develop.

Thanks for your input and looking forward to another great event!

Well, for the past couple of years I've hosted an Ohio Fall and Spring Ramble ride for FJR's in the area.  We've had a great time meeting the area riders, riding nice twisties, bench racing, etc.
The past rambles have been great.

I'm DEFINITELY in on this one!

1) Definitely 2-day ride.

2) Less expensive to moderate is fine.

2A) Just ride those GOOD WV roads.

3) Early May - for the reasons you suggest. I will come in late April if you decide that way.

4) What you suggested is fine Ride Fri/Sat.

5) No preference, you be the judge.

Thanks for putting this together, Mike!

Really looking forward to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only done one (last fall) and it was great, you can count me in for the Spring ride.

Two day ride (Friday-Saturday) is good for me.

As far as hotels go, I'll stay anywhere, no real preference.

As far as weather goes, I think the later the better, sometimes April can be ugly, at least in northeast Ohio (where I'm from) it can be.

As far as where we go: windy, twisty, senic roads, where else?

Thanks for the organizing, I look forward to the ride.

Jay

I can be up for anything Mike.

+1 w/ wheaton, the last two rambles have been great... ;)

Perhaps we could combine a destination with good roads. A mountain lodge definitely has some appeal for me. If the ride can be arranged early enough, maybe we could get some off season rates at nice places.

Last spring you picked the perfect weekend. Those before and after were pure garbage. Anytime in late April / early May will be good.

Keep us posted with questions and / or developments.

--G

1.) Heck Yeah!!!

2.) Cheap but decent is my vote

2.) Just ride good roads

3.) Pick the date that works the best for you... those that can make it will.

4.) Fri/Sat sounds good...

5.) No preference

-bvw.

1.) Heck Yeah!!!
HOLY CRAP!!

You're riding from Minnesota?! :bigeyes: I thought last fall was going to be a onetimer for you for this event. Most impressive! B)

I thought I was far enough at 550 miles... :)

Sounds great guys. Valetz-my cap is off to you. I can guarantee you will like the WV roads (likely far better than Ohio)

I do have a good idea based on these comments where to stay (motel, not too fancy but clean). I'm going to make a few calls to find out about room rates. Thinking about Bridgeport, just East of Clarksburg. AWESOME riding is just outside of town, and there are several branded restaurants within 1/2 mile of the hotels.

As for riding, plan on us going to Seneca Rocks, Canaan Valley, Monongahala Nat'l Forest and into the George Washington Nat'l Forest (and back to Bridgeport) in Virginia one day. The other day we can ride south into the Snowshoe area.

Yamaholic - I live in N VA - what're the chances of meeting you all for a part of your ride (W VA and VA). Thanks. Jim

what're the chances of meeting you all for a part of your ride (W VA and VA
Jim- I would say darn close to 100%. I'll post the route prior to the ride so you know where to find us.

BTW, did I bump into you this fall in Seneca Rocks? I was on an '03 with hi-viz aerostitch. Seem to recall your username???

Nope, wasn't me. But then can't imagine someone else with such a lameass username! I'll keep my eyes open for ride info - thanks.

Jim

Watching with interest.

I am planning to do a run to the Gap in the Spring and the EOM in the Fall.

But WV is closer than the Gap and a better journey to/from.

Wife won't let me take long trips without her anymore.

Since she scrapped her shoe at the EOM, she's hooked on twisty rides.

Quick summary to avoid thread highjack:

A fast mover came up on us on the Gap.

I speed up to not slow him down too much.

As we are laying a trail of peg in the 1st half of a switchback (scrapping passenger shoe too), a GSXR passes us!!

He never came close to throwing back over to make the 2nd curve.

Total wipe out. He totally misjudged our speed.

He was OK, just embaressed. His slider was bent over more than 90 degrees and plastic was F#$%ked. But, he hardly had a scratch, just mud covered.

Anyway, after seeing all the idiots at the Gap, she decided I was half way sane and actually much safer than many. :eh:

I am going to plan on coming. I have burned all my vacation days on WFO. Planing 5 days there and 5 back on the 2000+ northern route from Indy. But that is not till july and if I can get off on a fri by trading a day I will be there.

I would be in.

May is better than April for weather reasons

2 days is good

Cheaper is better as long as the place is safe for bikes

Anywhere we ride is fine, since it's pretty tailights and blurred scenery anyway.. :)

I would prefer Sat/Sun actually. This would seem to make more sense, since most of the people are local and this wouldn't necessitate a day off from work to attend.

Isn't the STN meet in June?

Do you happen to know what routes and accomodations they use for the Mail Pouch Fly-By??

Scooter