What are the symptoms of a shot starter?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heidi,

If you are thinking of doing it, a precautionary starter replacement sounds like a good job do be done at the upcoming (In)tech day! Multiple FJR gurus to be found in one gathering!

Scott, it would be Bob (Intech) that would be doing a starter swap for me for the cost of chewy beers. I was at his house this past Sunday. #1... the clamp that he had was DC & not AC... I think that was 1 issue. The 2nd... he looked & couldn't figure out how a clamp would even fit around it. Any suggestions folks?

& I've considered tech day, already. I will most likely be going up for that. It's right at a 2 hour ride for me. Are you going up? Interested in hooking up for the ride?

Last edited by a moderator:
Need DC clamp on meter, not AC. (AC ones are much more common). Should be able to get one on one of the battery leads but might have to remove a side panel??? I haven't tried to do it (Thankfully, haven't had the need.)

Edit: Current can be measured at any point of the starter circuit from the battery to the actual starter.

I do believe that he wanted to measure the current @ the actual starter & really couldn't get to it well.. & apparently I had the current type turned around. Oopsie!

For the initial troubleshooting, checking the starting current using a (one) battery cable at the battery is fine. As mentioned previously, the amp probe has to be DC and preferably have a Peak Hold function because the current draw isn't steady.

As Ross says, a DC amp probe is less common to find and an AC/DC amp probe may cost a little more. I was able to find two different types of AC/DC probes for $45 - $80 each, one is a combined current probe & multi-meter and the other one is just a current probe that plugs into a DMM.

I have a clamp meter that's DC capable and can bring it if you can't locate one locally. The Fluke 36 I normally use doesn't have a peak hold function for DC current, but should give an accurate measurement if the motor can crank long enough for the reading to stabilize (a few seconds). Tom

Scott, it would be Bob (Intech) that would be doing a starter swap for me for the cost of chewy beers. I was at his house this past Sunday. #1... the clamp that he had was DC & not AC... I think that was 1 issue. The 2nd... he looked & couldn't figure out how a clamp would even fit around it. Any suggestions folks?
& I've considered tech day, already. I will most likely be going up for that. It's right at a 2 hour ride for me. Are you going up? Interested in hooking up for the ride?
I am going. Since the wife is out of town I have to ride up and back on Saturday. I plan on being on the road by 6 AM.

lol!... & Scott... OMG! 6:00 in the morning! Must be planning on a valve check. I guess that i"ll see you there. Staying @ Jay's.

I have a clamp meter that's DC capable and can bring it if you can't locate one locally. The Fluke 36 I normally use doesn't have a peak hold function for DC current, but should give an accurate measurement if the motor can crank long enough for the reading to stabilize (a few seconds). Tom
Bring it with you if you can.

I have a DC Clamp on meter
Are you coming over?

Jeez and I thought somebody said Bob was AC/DC......
I thought I was, but found out different. Another tool I need to buy!

Bring it with you if you can.

I have a DC Clamp on meter
Are you coming over?
Yeah...probably can't count on Hogan, to bring his over...
whistle.gif

I had planned on using a battery lead as there isn't much of anything else drawing current once you turn the key on. I thought my clamp was DC. I will be getting one!

yes, it was the starter. Since install, I have put the bike through a good solid hot trip... the kind where I wondered if the bike would start after a gas up... it now turns like a new bike.

Also of interest... The bike had sat for a couple of weeks between when the starter was changed & said hot trip. The bike started right up. Before the swap, it is for sure that I would've had to jump start the bike from my car battery apparently, because it was drawing so much power even when cold.

Also of interest... The bike had sat for a couple of weeks between when the starter was changed & said hot trip. The bike started right up. Before the swap, it is for sure that I would've had to jump start the bike from my car battery apparently, because it was drawing so much power even when cold.
Changing it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The air box does have to come out.