What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought it. :yahoo:

Brand new, left-over 2011 FJR1300A in Silver (the best colour, of course).

Picking it up (and dropping off Scarlet, my trusty '05 VFR) next Saturday.

Hope the unseasonably fine weather continues... :D

Washed the windshield. Then rode to the mountains, cold and rain coming so I also rode back home (400 + miles)

On the way home it hit me!

Riding long distances on a factory seat is a lot like being in prison.

No matter which way you lean, you are going to have a sore ass when you get home!

Baby got a new set of 023GTs, cleaned and lubed the splines and fork flush/fluid change. Front 023GT lasted 10K, rear only 8K, had to put on a take-off to bridge the [wear] gap. Benefits of changing your own tires... :)

--G

Just rode. No one else could go so I just went by my damn self for a leisurely ride west across central NC. Stopped here...

LakeNormanSP.jpg

And here...

SouthMtnsSP.jpg

...along the way.

edit: Almost forgot the memorable sight. I usually see something really unusual or amusing each ride I take and this one was no different. Imagine: rolling hill western North Carolina farm country; long, slow right sweeper; 2 guys on the left repairing a fence, 1 waves as I pass. Then another guy spraying herbicide at the fence on the right. He waves too. Then the boss man, in a golf cart, the kind modified with plywood to make it a tool hauler. But this one's different. It's got a gun rack mounted on the roof posts behind bossman's head. Either a shotgun or rifle hanging in it. I LMFAO as I go by, never seen no shit like that before.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you do to your FJR today?

There are probably a lot of things folks do to their FJRs that may not warrant a whole new topic. This thread is a place to post such things.

I'm kind of surprised there isn't already a thread like this here already, so mods feel free to delete this if I missed it somehow.
Mounted,balanced and gave my new Micheline PR3 tires a test ride and they are sweet !!!!

I must have did a really good job on the balance cause now the mirror blur is almost completely gone :D

Dad took it for a shakedown run this morning. Success! He was so pleased that he did in fact let me wash it. Then I put a coat of Yamaha Polish and Detailer on it. He rode it home and will start packing it for our 10 day trip to the Smokies.

Take note of him drinking coffee and giving directions:

IMG_6240.jpg
">
What seat is that on his bike ??

Broke my leg in five places at work... I forced myself to watch my son ride it for me! Oh........ I don't know which hurt the most!

Today..after many weeks of procrastinating I finally got around to changing the plugs. I believe these were the original plugs with 50,000 km on them, definitely due for a change. However having said that they looked really good I must say. But I'm sure the bike will be happier now with the new iridium plugs in her.

Installed the forks after rebuilding them at Tech Day V in Owosso and then went for a test run. The front end seemed a little harsh so I backed off the preload one ring and backed off the rebound one click. Seems better to me now but I want to measure the sag front and back to get the readings before I change anything else.

Bill, try this:

First, get the spring preload set right based on static and dynamic sag measurements. (I know that you know how to do that)

Then crank back the damping to minimum on both compression and rebound and go out for an adjustment ride. Incrementally increase the compression damping 2-3 clicks at a time until the fork feels too stiff (you'll know it when you feel it) then back off one or two click. Now concentrate on the rebound after you hit a bump and how much float or oscillation there is. Only add enough of that to make it go away. It's really easy to put too much rebound damping in as the only down side is the shock packs up and squats on multiple hits. So err on the side of too light there.

Have fun.

Checked out the bike and stashed some emergency stuff before tomorrow mornings all day ride in the desert and mountains. I will have a hard time falling asleep tonight. :yahoo:

Today I got my new "winter" helmet. A Nolan N90 (just over 200 clams @ compacc). It feels great! Test drive was quite nice, shoulder check vision acceptable. No more chilly face!

Put on Givi rack and waiting for the Shad top case. Figuring out how to mount a 2m/440 antenna.

Troy
I mounted mine on a aluminum plate so it would clear the factory tailbox..Used a 1/4 wave counterpoise for each band..I couldn't get a good RF ground anywhere I tried w/o the counterpoise.Use your grid dip meter to find resonance...Have Fun de N5BBC

Yesterday---Attended local East Texas eat & greet.Took about a hour to make it to Henderson , about 3 hours to make it home....Something about perfect temperatures and light traffic caused the extra time to make it home.. :rolleyes: :yahoo: