What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bled the Unified Braking System (was gonna(incorrectly) say rear brake...) only took maybe half hour for the whole deal... but it was quality time :)

It wasn't completely nonexistent, but it was less than consistent...pedal seems firmer... will have to try it out when this rain stops...

Added r/motorcycles stickers to the vent panels and my helmet.

x5RKJrAl.png

YWwMb5Zl.png

vhdJTZFl.jpg

Changed the oil and installed Garauld's Stiffy Kit.....

stiffy%20Kit-L.jpg

The installation was very easy and fit perfectly. I also did the ABS tests after locating the ABS test connector in front of the battery. I have read the testing procedure in the manual and also used Ionbeam's excellent post on the subject. Both tests went well and I cleared out the error codes. I just got everything buttoned back up as the rain started.

Is there a trick to stretching the return springs? Those kickstand springs are stiff.
You could lose an eye from those things if yer not careful.

If there is a I haven't found it yet. I cuss them every time.
Another reason to own a genII,
smile.png

Road mine to work today.
Nice to hear your Gen II doesn't use return springs anywhere. I suspect it gets tiring holding up parts with your foot, but then again, my throttle isn't slack to instant-on either.
not_i.gif
I just did the same service and never touched the kickstand. Now that I reread it I never lubed the kickstand. Didn't even know I had too. Reading comprehension wasn't always one of my strong points.

Sorry Tom, my mistake in interpretation.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a trick to stretching the return springs? Those kickstand springs are stiff.
You could lose an eye from those things if yer not careful.

If there is a I haven't found it yet. I cuss them every time.
Another reason to own a genII,
smile.png

Road mine to work today.
Nice to hear your Gen II doesn't use return springs anywhere. I suspect it gets tiring holding up parts with your foot, but then again, my throttle isn't slack to instant-on either.
not_i.gif
I just did the same service and never touched the kickstand. Now that I reread it I never lubed the kickstand. Didn't even know I had too. Reading comprehension wasn't always one of my strong points.

Sorry Tom, my mistake in interpretation.

Dave
Ok, now I'm not so confused. You had me goin' there, "Gen2 with no kickstand springs"........ On mine when the kickstand doesn't pop back up freely it's time for a clean-and-lube job, maybe once per year.

Installed my Stiffi bracket! Now we are ready to ride 2-up, fully loaded, down for the Appalachian Camping trip.

Dave, no problem! I am really enjoying how much smoother the bike is shifting, and the brake is not sticking. The kickstand was slow to return to the up position and it just glides now. Once the springs are off, the rotation collar can be separated and lubed, and it makes a big difference in smooth operation. I also cleaned and lubed the kickstand safety switch and added a bit of grease where the KS pushes up on the switch. I had neglected this for over 40K miles, so the difference was noticeable. Springs are tough, but manageable. I was just cussin' out lout.

I am really enjoying how much smoother the bike is shifting, and the brake is not sticking. The kickstand was slow to return to the up position and it just glides now. Once the springs are off, the rotation collar can be separated and lubed, and it makes a big difference in smooth operation. I also cleaned and lubed the kickstand safety switch and added a bit of grease where the KS pushes up on the switch. I had neglected this for over 40K miles, so the difference was noticeable. Springs are tough, but manageable. I was just cussin' out lout.
Well now, since you're the pro...I'll bring mine right over.

Oh...and I did ride to work today

Rode The Crest Highway 2 in So Cal from WRIGHTWOOD, where I had lunch, to NEWCOMBS.

Weather was great about 73 or so at NEWCOMBS.

Hung out at NEWCOMBS for about an hour or so and rode the Crest back through WRIGHTWOOD and home.

A nice little 200 mile ride for me.

Rode to work and had a guy in the parking lot ask if he could take pictures of my bike for his kids. I said "sure no problem, and I'd be happy to ride to your house to show it to them if you want."

Added a RAM ball for my GPS and cleaned up my wires last night.
MaERoVjl.jpg
Wait... you mounted your GPS on the right side handle bar? How do you mess with it while riding?

Oh, I get it... just showing off that you have the fancy cruise control!!
haha.gif

Rode to work and had a guy in the parking lot ask if he could take pictures of my bike for his kids. I said "sure no problem, and I'd be happy to ride to your house to show it to them if you want."
...and I'm sure that didn't creep him out at all!
rolleyes.gif

2 new TARS! PR3 in front, PR4 in back (I know, I'm resistant to change ... so only 1 new thing at a time).

Today I took the FJR for a ride with my wife leading the way on her bike. With a four-year-old at home, we seldom get a chance to ride together. We stopped and took this photo:

v3hif9.jpg

By the way, I think both those diesel locomotives are for sale if anyone is interested.