What Digital Camera to buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
My pillion's trusty old Kodak C533 is starting to act up. It wasn't an expensive camera and has been used and abused over the past several years quite extensively, producing a lot of memorable shots. It doesn't owe us a thing. But it's time to upgrade and the choices are many.

Ideally the new camera should have the following desired features:

Rugged

Waterproof

Long battery life

Fast power on

Use SD cards for image storage

Rechargeable / swappable batteries

Image stabilization would be nice

Glove friendly controls would be good also

Cheap as possible in case it does any pavement surfing

Resolution doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

The old Kodak was only 5MP, and it took perfectly adequate shots. Besides, can you even buy less than a 5MP anymore?

Point and shoot will be the sole modus operandi, so fancy SLRs are out of the question ($), even if there was one that would meet the above criteria.

It seems that the reviews that I read about "waterproof" models are very mixed. Some reviewers claim the photo quality is inferior (To what, I wonder? Would I even notice?) And some bad reviews are that the camera wasn't as waterproof as claimed, but those are mostly people trying to go underwater with them. We'll only be concerned with rain.

Recommendations?

[edit] looking at a Pentax Optio WG-1. Anyone know anything about those?

Last edited by a moderator:
[edit] looking at a Pentax Optio WG-1. Anyone know anything about those?
Fred - I buy my cameras from a local mom & pop (3rd generation running it now) store 'cause I like the 'personal touch' (which is all this thread needs to go down the crapper ;) )

Last February, I brought home a WP Pentax Optio (forget the model number) - played it with for a few days and decided I didn't like the photo quality (My old film SLR is a Nikon; my digitals have all been Canon).

1. one of the gals at work bought the Pentax; I'll check with her re: how she likes it

2. I'll round up Consumer Reports mags to check the camera ratings. I don't if the mags are here or 'there' :blink:

Thanks. Not locked into the Pentax yet. Just looked like a rugged option. Probably only the looks. ;)

It seems that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 gets some decent reviews.

What model Canon are you using? Waterproof? It seems like the Powershot D10 is their only WP model right now?

Fred - I buy my cameras from a local mom & pop (3rd generation running it now) store 'cause I like the 'personal touch' (which is all this thread needs to go down the crapper ;) )
Dear Heavenly Lord, please grant your Son just two wishes: 1) That it was now Friday! 2) That I owned a camera store in Freddy Beach! Amen Patria, Papa Chuy Viejo

Dear Heavenly Lord, please grant your Son just two wishes: 1) That it was now Friday! 2) That I owned a camera store in Freddy Beach! Amen Patria, Papa Chuy Viejo
SEE?! See what I mean ?! :blink:

Geezers, Papa. Get your hands out of your pockets mind out of the gutter.

And step away from the computer :D

:kiss2:

if "waterproofness" is a requirement, check out this review:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311waterproofcompactgrouptest/

I'd go for either the Sony Cybershot DSC-TX10, or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3.

The Lumix has better ergonoomics. I know from experience with other Sony subcompacts, that the buttons tend to be very small.

Nikon just released (or is currently releasing) a new waterproof and rugged camera, the AW100, that has me intrigued.

Nikon Coolpix AW100 Review

• Waterproof down to 33-feet
  • Shockproof up to 5-feet
  • Temp proof down to 14 degrees F
  • Oversized buttons for gloves
  • 5X wide angle zoom lens
  • E-compass
  • GPS for geo tagging, but there will be basic maps as well.
  • A new feature called SWING CONTROL – shake the camera in a certain way to change functions (portrait to landscape) w/o going into the menu
  • 1080p/30 and 720p/60 HD video recording (60fps = slo motion) with a mini HDMI out
  • The Nikon Coolpix AW100 will be available September 8, 2011 with an MSRP of $379.99. It will be available in blue, black, and orange

For camera reviews check out Steve's Digicams and Digital Photography Review (DPreview) as trusted resources.

For bike use, beyond image stabilization some other important specs are Power Up time and especially Shutter Lag. Helen was getting tired of spotting the shot, pressing the button and (then the camera sets exposure, auto-focuses and the releases the shutter) neatly capturing a telephone pole, tree or street sign. I bought her a Canon A720 because it was 1 second from power on until the first picture was captured and more importantly a sterling 1/10 second Shutter Lag including auto-focus time. The A720 also has many of the desirable specifications, with the only shortfall of being a battery eater without an optional battery pack being available. This camera is obsolete but you can get newer revisions in the Canon Power Shot 'A' series of pocket cameras. Overall I think Helen has had good results with her Power Shot A series cameras.

Edit to add: The camera should also offer ISO speed of at least 1600 and be nearly 'noise' free at this speed. The A720 is just a bit noisy at high ISO speeds. Her Nikon DSLR is useless at higher speeds but my Canon DSLR is totally noise free.

Hey Fred,

What price range are you talking about as that would make a big difference? I am looking at buying a camera for the same purpose. I will probably get a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH2. It is 14.1 MP with a Leica lens. They go for less than $120. I already have a higher dollar Panasonic with the Leica lens and love it. The Canon Powershot series is also a good bet. You can get one with decent features for around the same price.

I won't make any specific recommendations because I bought my Panasonic Lumix ZS-7 over a year ago and I'm sure its obsolete by now. (Has a good range of features but not waterproof and not particularly glove-friendly - actually has a built-in GPS too) However, I would have a look at this line of cameras.

I have found two websites to be quite good for looking at features and comparing models

dpreview.com

cnet.com

dpreview, in particular, provides incredibly detailed in-depth technical reviews for selected camera models.

Have fun with the research

Ross

Good discussions.

The dpreview website mferriter linked to is a good comparison of what's available right now, and it seems the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 wins in the image quality department and seems to be highly recommended everywhere I look. I may just start shiopping for one of them.

Seems that they going price is close to 3 Benjamins. <_<

SEE?! See what I mean ?! :blink:

Geezers, Papa. Get your hands out of your pockets mind pocket rocket out of the gutter.

And step away from the computer :D

:kiss2:
Fixed.

Back on Topic (God, how I hate that!): Nikon Coolpix AW100 jmarran recommends sure looks like the bomb. Maybe SkooterG will get that for his Papa Chuy this Christmas! Yeah, that will happen!

Something that I am finding in my due diligence research is that these camera manufacturers, like the GPS makers, sure are commanding a big premium for the "waterproof" feature. Similar quality and featured compact cameras are about half the price of these waterproof ones.

Hmmm.... Do we really need water-proof-ness on a bike? How often will we want to take pictures in the rain?

Well besides during the annual Maine Chowder run that is. :rolleyes:

If one was to strike that off the list of "required features" it sure opens up a whole lot more possibilities and lowers the price of admission.

Something that I am finding in my due diligence research is that these camera manufacturers, like the GPS makers, sure are commanding a big premium for the "waterproof" feature. Similar quality and featured compact cameras are about half the price of these waterproof ones.

Hmmm.... Do we really need water-proof-ness on a bike? How often will we want to take pictures in the rain?

If one was to strike that off the list of "required features" it sure opens up a whole lot more possibilities and lowers the price of admission.
I can say right now that it is not a "required" feature for me. Like you said, how many times do you think you are going to want to take pictures on the fly when it is raining?

I was gonna ask that question... I've had several of the Canon Powershot series cameras and have been extremely satisfied with the quality of pics as well as features, storage, etc. I've never "lost" the camera to water (no deep sea riding here) and have actually taken some photos in the rain with it with no issues. Gives you a lot more options if you drop that requirement from your list. :)

I've taken reasonably good pictures with my PS ("point and shoot"/"piece of sh**") in a ziplock sandwhich bag. The plastic is thin enough to get a reasonably good picture and protects it from the elements.

I have to agree, though, I don't take many pictures in the rain.

I used the ziplock bag method when taking pictures on the Maid of the Mist at Niagara Falls.

Keep in mind that you'll get water droplets on the lens when using it in the rain (ziplock bag or not) that will effect the picture quality.

In my opinion(?) it is best to select a camera with the biggest shutter knob, whether it is a 16 MP or a 3 MP.

... just my CO2

I think I liked the ruggedness and handiness of the GPS tagging as much if not more than the waterproof feature.

I think I liked the ruggedness and handiness of the GPS tagging as much if not more than the waterproof feature.
If I was a big time scuba diver, then having the "waterproof-ness" would be mandatory, and then nice when using a motorcycle.

I'm with jmarran - the GPS tagging would be more interesting, and as others have said, riding along in the rain and trying to take pictures while maneuvering my 600+ pound motorcycle at speed are things I'm probably not going to try simultaneously.