what is the highest mph speeding ticket you have had on a motorcycle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Continuing with stories of tickets never received -

Its 1974, 55 mph speed limits are in effect in the US. I am blasting down AZ 77 in my '72 Kawasaki Z1 (electric start and the second frt disc) on a Sunday morning and have not seen another vehicle in about 3 hrs. I am doing 80 more or less, and just outside of Holbrook I get pulled over by a local LEO, about 20 yrs old, driving a '74 Monaco (yes Bluesmobile, but neither of us know that then)

In those days BC drivers licenses had the Royal Coat of Arms and the provincial BC shield printed on them. The cop just didnt believe that it was a real license. Also had no idea where Seattle was, let alone Vancouver.

He decides we are going into town to see the judge. He keeps my ID and registration and tells me that he will follow me, and not to "try anything funny". 54 mph into town, about 10 miles or so. We pull up at the rear of the courthouse, and he takes me inside.

I am told to sit in last row of the courtroom and wait for the judge to call me up.

The judge is a women, wearing a pink bathrobe with her hair in curlers. From what is going on I gather that a drunk boyfriend has broken into his exgirlfriends trailer to get his "stuff" and was caught while in the process. It seems that this isnt the first time either.

About 10 minutes later my cop gets a chance to whisper something into the judges ear, and I see her look up at me.

He hands her my ID, she calls a recess and the cop collects me and we go to the judges office.

The judge asks me why I am in the area and where am I headed. (Vacation and west on 40) We have a brief chat about how hot it is there and how much cooler the PNW is. She tells me she has to get back to the court case and that if I plan on speeding, I better do it once I am on the interstate, because then I am the Highway Patrols problem. She hands me back my license and wishes me a nice visit.

I am very careful to do 54 the rest of the day.

(Even with the dual frt discs, the brakes sucked, and the bike ate chains. I sold it later the same yr)

-Steve

81 in a 55 on Hwy 89 at Squaw Valley turnoff on a 1978 GS1000EC in 1980 or 1981. A friend had the same bike and got a matching performance award, but we were over 100 just before we were nabbed. Glad that highest speed award was well short of the worst I've been guilty of committing. Smarter, more sane and riding less with advancing age now; it's been 10.5 years since I've been pulled over or cited on a bike, and almost 14 in a car.

25 or more years ago, I got pulled over by Barney Fife in Forest Hill, Louisiana. My BIL, a young attorney fairly fresh out of law school and I were coming home from a day with the 4-wheelers in the woods. I knew it to be a speed trap, but I forgot. You ever forget? I do.

A town of about 500 people and 4 square blocks, I'm quite certain that 90% of their operating budget comes from speeding tickets. State highway goes from 55 to 25 mph and to their credit, there is a warning sign that says "reduced speed ahead". But the sign was covered by a large tree branch and I honestly couldn't see it as I passed.

(Barney) "License and Registration, please. I clocked you going 40 in a 25."

(Pants) "Officer, I acknowledge I was going over 25, but can you see the large branch covering the warning sign back right there."

(Barney) "What difference does that make?"

(Pants) "Well, sir. I think if the city would have given me fair warning, I would have been able to obey the speed limit in a more timely manner. Without proper warning, it doesn't seem fair to expect me to reduce my speed by that much in such a short distance."

He leaves to his vehicle and returns 10 minutes later.

(Barney) "I'm citing you for speeding 40 in a 25, sign here.

(Pants) "Sir, I do not think this is fair for the reason I explained earlier."

(Barney) "Well, you are welcome to contest the ticket. You are in luck as our magistrate is on duty today and he could probably see you right now. Our court office is that building right there."

(Pants) "That sounds great! I've even got my attorney with me right here."

The officer leads me to the court office. I stand at the window with BIL at my side as he goes behind the door.

(Barney - emerging from the back room wearing some sort of judges robe) "Good afternoon sir, I'm the magistrate for this court. I understand you wish to contest a ticket?"

(BIL) "Pay the man his money and let's get out of here, man."

I've got more if you want it....

Last edited by a moderator:
The last story reminds me of my first ticket...

I was in college (1980 ish) and riding my 1978 KZ 1000 during my summer jobs ( working in the kitchen at a Country Club). I was carrying a passenger (guy) between the CC party for employees, and the 'after' party at someones house. We might have had a few beers, but not a lot... Anyway it was a 45 limit and I was going about 45... but it was pouring rain. I got pulled over and ticketed for 'too fast for conditions'. I was pissed and protested. He said I wasn't safe in the rain.

Since it was a $50 ticket I took it to court. I was prepared to show the KZ is a marvelous machine, capable of many maneuvers in both sun and rain. I had added electronic ignition, 2nd front disc brake, better tires, etc. ... all to make a safer ride since I had recently ridden solo to and from Florida.

After my 10 minute diatribe, the judge said ' since the officer was a motor (bike) officer for sometime, what he says is too fast is TOO FAST!' Pay the fine at the door.

Since my beautiful KZ was bright red (with added chrome cases, carbs, etc) I blamed the ticket on 'Arrest me Red' but now I know... I was lucky he never did check my breath... 'coulda been a lot worse.

What's the issue with admitting it on a public forum. I've divulged numerous times that I have what remains of Jimmy Hoffa in my basement.
I used to work for the Traffic Department, and one of our hated jobs was to use a concrete saw to cut grooves in the pavement, insert looped wires in the grooves, and then fill the grooves up with hot, stinking tar so the Traffic Control Computer would know if someone was waiting for the light to change. As the cars sped by their air would swirl the "dust" created by the saw choking us, and the poorly designed propane burner that heated the tar, would make your throat sore from all the unburned hydrocarbons. All this in 95-100 degree heat.

So that's my excuse for telling any of the drivers that asked us what we were doing, that we were "looking for Jimmy Hoffa". LOL

Haven't had one yet....
Me either, but I am VERY nervous about spelling that out loud.
Me neither although I have been given a stern "talking-to" upon a few occasions.
Some of you boys just are not trying hard enough.
Situational awareness my friend, Situational awareness
NV, WY, MI, MN, OH, IA, OK, TX, CA....they all love my need to contribute to their economies.

Apparently I have very poor "situational awareness", and absolutely no ability to talk myself out of the need to "contribute".

Only 40 more to go and I can lay claim to my own version of 48+. lol

What's the issue with admitting it on a public forum. I've divulged numerous times that I have what remains of Jimmy Hoffa in my basement.
I used to work for the Traffic Department, and one of our hated jobs was to use a concrete saw to cut grooves in the pavement, insert looped wires in the grooves, and then fill the grooves up with hot, stinking tar so the Traffic Control Computer would know if someone was waiting for the light to change. As the cars sped by their air would swirl the "dust" created by the saw choking us, and the poorly designed propane burner that heated the tar, would make your throat sore from all the unburned hydrocarbons. All this in 95-100 degree heat.

So that's my excuse for telling any of the drivers that asked us what we were doing, that we were "looking for Jimmy Hoffa". LOL
Philter, I've installed thousands of "loops" as a contractor that built traffic signals. Nasty job. One time I caught the tar trailer on fire in front of the Boeing Developmental Center. Three alarm response. I buried the whole trailer with a big loader that was on site. When, at age 55 I got a job with a municipality in transportation, my only requirement was no loops for me.

Apparently I have very poor "situational awareness", and absolutely no ability to talk myself out of the need to "contribute".
TITS, sir. Ask 'Zilla. If you can't stop speeding, then that and some long eyelashes are what you need (you can get them installed nowadays) to avoid contributing. You'll have to do the math to amortize that cost across the expected savings in performance awards to see if those are farkles you want to add.

Sometimes helps to get off your fast-looking steed wearing your non-squidley (ATGATT) riding gear. Take off the helmet to display the grey (and disappearing) hair and have your documentation ready. Polite and apologetic goes a lot further than any show of aggression.

2015...cited for 91mph in a 55mph zone...in my defense, was on a lonely stretch of arrow straight road in north louisiana, only traffic on road were 2 pickup trucks hauling utility trailers with 4-wheelers on them, followed by a truck hauling a 20-25 ft boat...got on it too pass quickly, and low n behold, a trooper was on the side of the road hidden in a clump of trees...I explained that I accelerated and overtook quickly for my safety, but no joy. Sucker wrote me up and added, have a safe and nice day.
rolleyes.gif

Next day at work, my boss sent it in to his contact, and a couple of weeks later, totally taken care of , not even the usual court costs. That's the only perk I will miss being retired. LOL

I got asked for DL, insurance, and registration heading toward Tacoma from Seattle. It was night and raining. When I politely explained that my home state didn't require we keep our registrations in our car and we are warned that it's an easier way to steel and re-title a car (so it's a bad idea). The cop got belligerent and insisted he used to be from my home state and knows better. I politely disagree (while apologizing again) but he's having none of it so I shut my trap. He keeps me there for 45 minutes while he "runs my info" back in the pre-computer days (77-79). It ended up a burned out tail light so he gives me a verbal and sends me on my way.

I still insist he was talking out of his ass about registrations on the vehicle. Now that the internet is a thing, it's easy enough to confirm.

https://www.dmv.com/faq/oklahoma/car-registration

In the state of Oklahoma, you are not required to carry your car registration in the vehicle. If you are pulled over by a law enforcement official, they will usually ask for the following:

It is only on boats, that the registration must be kept inside the vessel.
Fucking pig.

It the same for many states. Many endurance rallies have a registration on-hand requirement to ride them simply because it's easier (and quicker) than debating with clueless bureaucrats.

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/curious-texas/2018/09/12/type-documents-need-drive-car-texas-curious-texas-digs-glove-box

we asked Detective Cruz Hernandez, public information officer for Rowlett Police, for an answer.

He said drivers should have the vehicle's registration with them if there has been a recent title transfer on the vehicle, but law enforcement should be able to find this information if the driver has owned the vehicle for a while.

I got asked for DL, insurance, and registration heading toward Tacoma from Seattle. It was night and raining. When I politely explained that my home state didn't require we keep our registrations in our car and we are warned that it's an easier way to steel and re-title a car (so it's a bad idea). The cop got belligerent and insisted he used to be from my home state and knows better. I politely disagree (while apologizing again) but he's having none of it so I shut my trap. He keeps me there for 45 minutes while he "runs my info" back in the pre-computer days (77-79). It ended up a burned out tail light so he gives me a verbal and sends me on my way.
I still insist he was talking out of his ass about registrations on the vehicle. Now that the internet is a thing, it's easy enough to confirm.

https://www.dmv.com/faq/oklahoma/car-registration

In the state of Oklahoma, you are not required to carry your car registration in the vehicle. If you are pulled over by a law enforcement official, they will usually ask for the following:

It is only on boats, that the registration must be kept inside the vessel.

Fucking pig.

It the same for many states. Many endurance rallies have a registration on-hand requirement to ride them simply because it's easier (and quicker) than debating with clueless bureaucrats.

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/curious-texas/2018/09/12/type-documents-need-drive-car-texas-curious-texas-digs-glove-box

we asked Detective Cruz Hernandez, public information officer for Rowlett Police, for an answer.

He said drivers should have the vehicle's registration with them if there has been a recent title transfer on the vehicle, but law enforcement should be able to find this information if the driver has owned the vehicle for a while.
A classless remark.

On the weekly run down to Rockford, a little town about 18 miles away, through the rollings hills of the Palouse. I turn into Rockford doing 25 mph, like I always do. As I round the 1st corner, there is a stater sitting by the grain silos. No biggie, I'm doing 25. The minute he sees me he starts the car and puts it in gear as I can see it lurch forward. Sure as shit, the second I roll by him, he is on my ass with the lights a rollin. Rather than pull off to the right where there isn't much space, i pull into the parking lot of Frednecks, the local saloon. I dismount and remove my helmet and turn around.

He is standing by the open door of his rig with his hand on his gun. He yells at me "Put youur helmet back on and sit on the bike" I comply. He walks up and asks me what i am supposed to do when getting pulled over? I reply "You're supposed to pull over" "NO!, You are supposed to pull over on the right hand side of the raod." "Ok," I said, "Why did you pull me over??" He replies "I got a cell phone call from somebody that says you were passing on the double yellow line, speeding, and passing more than one car at a time, ;did you pass on the double yellow lines?"

I looked him strraight in the eyes and said "You know, I MIGHT have crossed a double yellow at the beginning, or end of a passing zone, but that would be about it"

"How fast were you going?"

"The speed limit is 55 sir"

"How many cars were you passing at a time?"

"I usually pass one at a time unless there is a Prius with a grandma driving in the front of the line"

He takes my license and goes back to the squad car for 8 to 10 minutes. He comes back and hands me my license and says "I don't have cell service here so i wasn't able to get a hold of the person that called in the complaint, If I could have, I would certainly be writing you a ticket for at LEAST reckless. You can go, but I better not get any more calls about you."

Headed on my merry way to Idaho. On the way back to Spokane, I passed him on the Palouse going the other way and waved politely.

Thanks for having my back on post #28, Barb. I always prefer to have them pressed AGAINST my back, but with ATGATT and back armor, even that isn't as much fun as it used to be.

Some years ago I hooked up with some local hooligans from the PNWRiders web site for a run to Winthrop over SR20. Now I really should have known better, but what the fuck, my bagger is sporty enough and I was feeling it. Nevertheless, I'm running sweep because even though I'm pretty dumb, I figure I'm smart enough to apply splints and bandages and the guys running in front might need that service. We're tearing it up pretty good as we come down the dip between Rainy and Washington passes. The guy in front of me pulls out to pass a couple of cages going through the dip and I follow. As we pass the rest area at the bottom I see Washington's finest. I glance down and it's indicating north of 120. Fuck, this is going to hurt. We get stopped at the next wide out and the WSP steps out and he looks like he's about 19. Double fuck. There's nothing worse than a WSP fresh from the academy. I'm bracing for a smoking ass chewing and perhaps a trip to town it the back of the cruiser. But, he walks up and says: "Hey you guys, I ride too and I know sometimes you just have to let it go but you have to be careful out here, we just picked a guy up yesterday who hit a deer." Now I'm confused. Young WSP without an attitude? Huh? Turns out that his ride is a GSXR 1000 and he does get it. He tells us to clue in our friends and to have a good day - but take it easy. Whoa, missed a big one there. But, to be fair, he didn't have us on radar and that little section of highway is in Whatcom County and his office is in Okanogan. That would have put the court in Bellingham and he would have had to waste a whole day or more to drive to court. Which he wouldn't have done. There was no sense in trying to write a ticket that would have been tossed anyway. Although, he could have been a dick, and he wasn't. He chose to educate in a way that connected with the folks he contacted rather than extract the traditional WSP pound of flesh. Very professional.

A classless remark.

What would your reaction be to holding you (in the rain) intentionally longer-than-needed simply because the cop didn't like being wrong? Did I mention he had his gun drawn as he approached me? For going the speed limit and pulling over right away? I know a lot of cops and "police officers" (more formal but very buttoned up and aware of interpersonal skills).

This guy was a dick and, by extension, the worst example of the species.

Assuming your story is accurate and unembellished, I would be pissed. I might call the LEO a jerk, but you, some years later and free from the emotions of the moment, chose to belittle the entire profession. That I find to be classless.

Latest posts