What is this sensor and how do I remove it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithpa68

Reaction score
I am attempting my first valve check on my 2008 FJR 1300 tonight. Disassembly was going fairly smooth until I ran into this sensor. I assumed I had to remove it so when I lift the valve cover I don't strain the wire. I didn't see a connector I could remove on that end, so I pulled the bolt out and tried to remove it. It wiggles a little but thats it. I don't want to force it.

First, should I remove it? Or is there a better way around it?

Also I noticed the threads of this bolt has some sort of a green thread compound on it. What is that??

This is a picture of it.

I believe that is the cam position sensor.

Leave it attached to the valve cover.

Find and disconnect the connector on the

right side of the engine.

Thanks guys. A little twist and it popped right out. I am always ham handed with electrical connectors so .. I picked the sensor end.
smile.png
I assume the green thread compound is some kind of oil friendly locktite or something.

Thanks guys. A little twist and it popped right out. I am always ham handed with electrical connectors so .. I picked the sensor end.
smile.png
I assume the green thread compound is some kind of oil friendly locktite or something.
Yeah, I think it is. I've never cleaned it off, just a firm GNT [Good 'N' Tight] when reinstalling.