What kind of investment to open yam dealership?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yesIfly

Reaction score
I am curious what kind of investment is required to start a motorcycle dealership? Here in Montgomery, there is but one Yamaha dealer and I have not had a great customer experience with them. But they are the only Yam dealer within 50 miles. I think that the Montgomery Metro area could support two dealers. Any dealers out there?

Thanks

There also seems to be a pre-requisite that either you are a complete asshole or you hire a service manager that is...

You also can't have a conscience. You must be willing to sell anything to anyone with the cash. This includes 180hp sport bikes to kids w/o licenses or any formal training.

You must be able to do this, and look the other way.

(I know that isn't always the case, but it seem true more than not).

There also seems to be a pre-requisite that either you are a complete asshole or you hire a service manager that is...
You also can't have a conscience. You must be willing to sell anything to anyone with the cash. This includes 180hp sport bikes to kids w/o licenses or any formal training.

You must be able to do this, and look the other way.

(I know that isn't always the case, but it seem true more than not).
Amen to that!Look at how many 50+ old farts are first time bike owners and HD customers.Get ready to spend a lot of money(about1.5m or more) for an existing dealer,you will need Imitrex for the headaches,abusive customers,racer wannabes with thier hands out,abusive employees,franchise rights,territorial restrictions,choices of either a single line dealership with factory incentives or multiline,huge overhead expenses,lawyers when someones stupid kid piles into an 18wheeler at a buck 30,a finance manager 30 something with brains and big tits,endless hours,large payroll little return.There are two dealerships here in north Texas that seem to have a revolving door for owners with the largest dealership being sold again.Third owner I know of in 5 years and is now a part of a large corporate chain with sales in other recrational vehicles besides bikes.You want to own one then just call either Yamaha's corporate office or any dealer out of your area.Also you can call HD.They will be more than happy to talk to you about dealer development especially of you are a minority(i.e. gay,female,asian,AfricanAmerican) They have enough rich bubbas in the woodwork

Jeez, gentlemen, a bit jaundiced cynical, aren't we? The best way to "run the bums out" is to do it better. Any volunteers to accept the challenges of hiring/managing employees, keeping the bike manufacturers happy, stocking the right parts and accessories for your potential client base, dealing with the various franchise tax boards, try to please customers with various personalities and knowledge levels, work with financial institutions and insurance agencies, etc., etc., etc.................

and "smile" because everyone else (especially your motorcycling friends) thinks you are a rich American business tycoon. :rolleyes:

Jeez, gentlemen, a bit jaundiced cynical, aren't we? The best way to "run the bums out" is to do it better. Any volunteers to accept the challenges of hiring/managing employees, keeping the bike manufacturers happy, stocking the right parts and accessories for your potential client base, dealing with the various franchise tax boards, try to please customers with various personalities and knowledge levels, work with financial institutions and insurance agencies, etc., etc., etc.................
and "smile" because everyone else (especially your motorcycling friends) thinks you are a rich American business tycoon. :rolleyes:
Ok.Point taken. <_< I think we all need to smile more.Maybe I vented too much over past employment with the broken promises etc.One of the dealerships I go to now, I believe, is a hobby for the owner.Incredibly nice guy and a believer in customer service.He has made a lot of money in the last 25 years at his car and rv dealerships.He is a rider like us and saw a huge need for a dealership there.I do trade with another dealership too and both places remind me of the laid back atmosphere of years ago when most were not corporate owned.