What should I look out for on an 03 FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmatt

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I've been riding for many years, and even had a couple of the original FJ's back in the 80's. I'm thinking about trading somebody locally my 02 vtx 1800 for his fjr 1300 (2003). Are there any specific things that I need to check out/watch out for on that model? I love my vtx, and my cbr, but I recently sold the cbr because it's ergonomics are too confined for me. The VTX however is a great bike, but doesn't satisfy my sport-bike side. I thought that the fjr might fit jjjuuuuusssssttt right (to plagarise Goldilocks). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Only had one problem with my '03: Any time I get over a mile away from home I can't get the thing turned around. :yahoo:

There's a Ben-Full-a-Facts near the beginning of this site that'll tell you more than you'll want to know. A 2003 ia a Gen I.

Only had one problem with my '03: Any time I get over a mile away from home I can't get the thing turned around. :yahoo:
+1, Gunny! Picked up Miss Lucy Liu, my 2003 in September of '02; she is still running strong and with absolutely no problems over the years. You just can't go wrong with a 2003 FJR!

Last edited by a moderator:
Contrary to what some (dealers) will tell you, '03 is NOT the first year of the FJR. It started in 01/02 in EU and was shipped to the US as an 03 model. The 03 is basically an EU bike, with less weight, black wheels, and higher gearing just like they had in EU.

Since then it has become 'Americanized' w/ more bells/whistles (more weight) and lower gearing.

I consider it an honor to have an EU version of the FJR and imagine I'm riding the Alps whenever I'm riding (in MN). :yahoo:

There is one significant issue:

If the tach is above 4K, in 2nd gear, and you whack the throttle, the front wheel levitates.

I think it is a factory defect.....

But seriously,

Unmodified Gen 1's put a lot of heat on the rider's left shin and the tank gets hot if running under a quarter tank.

this sucks when it is 100 outside.

Good fixes are numerous and very low cost. chromeit had a good one and insulating the bottom of the tank helps.

It was also my excuse for going with a power commander.

If an '03 has factory suspension, it may be way past it's prime. Lots of aftermarket solutions but a new shock will be $600+ and not compatible with gen2.

Fresh fork springs are ~$100.

Depending on mileage, valve check and cam chain tensioner replacement may be wise investments.

I replaced my '03 cam chain tension at 45K mls just because others have had issues.

Drew bent all his valves when his took a shit. That is a nasty nasty failure that can be avoided for ~$70.

Replace all brake and clutch fluid. They are likely way past their prime.

Rear brake can lock up easily. It just takes experience.

Later years had snatchy throttle issues. But '03 has always been butter.

If the windsheild auto-retracts when you turn the key off, it is easily defeated.

The worst thing of all was the evil TICK found in some gen1's (including mine).

Tribal knowledge is that if the bike makes it past around 25K miles without the issue,

then it never develops. Many were fixed by Yamaha for free. Mine was fixed around 20K.

At 50K, it is all good.

In short '03 is the lightest and strongest year. For the US, it is THE bike that changed sport touring.

Honda challenged with the ST1300 and the FJR slapped it down in every way.

There is one significant issue:If the tach is above 4K, in 2nd gear, and you whack the throttle, the front wheel levitates.

But seriously,

Unmodified Gen 1's put a lot of heat on the rider's left shin and the tank gets hot if running under a quarter tank.

Good fixes are numerous and very low cost. chromeit had a good one and insulating the bottom of the tank helps.

If an '03 has factory suspension, it may be way past it's prime. Lots of aftermarket solutions but a new shock will be $600+ and not compatible with gen2.

Depending on mileage, valve check and cam chain tensioner replacement may be wise investments.

I replaced my '03 cam chain tension at 45K mls just because others have had issues.

Drew bent all his valves when his took a shit. That is a nasty nasty failure that can be avoided for ~$70.

If the windsheild auto-retracts when you turn the key off, it is easily defeated.

Tribal knowledge is that if the bike makes it past around 25K miles without the issue,

then it never develops. Many were fixed by Yamaha for free. Mine was fixed around 20K.

At 50K, it is all good.

In short '03 is the lightest and strongest year. For the US, it is THE bike that changed sport touring.

Well ..... that just about covers all of it. Except that the heat issue was only a problem for some riders -- never had an issue with it myself. The heats there, just doesn't bother me, not through all my gear anyway.

'03 model ----- go for it :yahoo:

you will need to hacksaw a rectangular hole in the (black) left horizontal panel for the glove box if it didn't come with one... :blink:

no glove box ??? May as well get the slightly superior '04 then... :rolleyes:

If your deal falls through maybe the guy wants to trade for my Warrior Midnight... keep me in mind.

Well ..... that just about covers all of it. Except that the heat issue was only a problem for some riders -- never had an issue with it myself. The heats there, just doesn't bother me, not through all my gear anyway.'03 model ----- go for it :yahoo:

Got an 05, pretty much the same but in the faster Galaxy Blue

I never did anything to mod mine for heat and when it gets warm, only on really hot days I just put my feet up on the highway pegs.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/pegs/pegs.html

Its a complete non issue for me, legs extended gets your feet forward of the engine and your "business" off the tank and flows air nicely in that area - cooling things quite well.

As stated, the heat is awesome for those cold days for us that ride down to 30 degrees...

Its an awesome machine and I wouldn't trade it for anything else out there !!!

There is one significant issue:If the tach is above 4K, in 2nd gear, and you whack the throttle, the front wheel levitates.

But seriously,

At 50K, it is all good.

Well ..... that just about covers all of it. Except that the heat issue was only a problem for some riders -- never had an issue with it myself. The heats there, just doesn't bother me, not through all my gear anyway.

'03 model ----- go for it :yahoo:
Wow, thanks for the info. The guy selling it volunteered that he replaced the cam chain tensioner, and replaced all brake and cluth fluids as well as coolant "a few" months ago, and says that he has receipts for all of the work. I cant picture the heat being an issue, as my VTX has sideburner exhaust on it, which nearly touches your thigh while riding, and that doesn't bother me (unless I do something stupid, like touching it - that has never happened, and I have no idea where that burn scar came from on my right thigh). Thanks for all of the info though. Regarding the "ticking" that you talked about, is it like a loud valve, or something else? Also, is that notorious "tick" a factory recall issue (thus will still be fixed for free) or not? Thanks again for all the help guys.

(BTW, loved the comment about watching out for the Harley riders).

If price is not the biggest issue do yourself a big favor and get an 06 or newer there are many improvments.

If price is not the biggest issue do yourself a big favor and get an 06 or newer there are many improvments.
bwahaha.jpg