What type of accessory plug?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGroenke

Reaction score
I bought a used 03 last winter and the PO has installed an accessory plug on the left side of the fairing near the flasher button. I hadn't even looked at it becasue I had no use for it. But in a few weeks I'm going on a long trip and would like to power a GPS. I looked at the plug this weekend and it is smaller than the standard automotive cigarette lighter type plug. It has a contact in the center at the bottom and grounds on the outside just like all the automotive plugs I'm used to but it is a smaller diameter, maybe about 15mm. From the mods on the bike I'm pretty sure the PO followed the forum to make his mods so does anybody have an idea what type of plug this might be? Where would I get a matching male plug to power my GPS?

Thanks,

Jeffery

Edit due to Fred having more free time than me...

Get the Powerlet to standard lighter chord. Now all your "stuff" that has a ligher plug on it will work.

I run this chord to my tank bag and power my GPS and Iphone on the fly. Clicky

Keep in mind, this is mostlikely straight off the battery. If so it will continue to power while the bikes shut down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Powerlet also makes a "BMW Style" plug. Double check to make sure which one you have. The required plug ends are different.

All the farkles I have are, for the most part, connected to my Eastern Beaver Box. I do want to add a connector up front to plug in a cell phone charger while I ride. I figured I'd just do one of those nice, weatherproof, spring-loaded cap type cigarette lighter receptacles but now I wonder if I should go with a Powerlet and an adapter. Can someone explain what I would be gaining by using the Powerlet? What makes it better and why is it good to adapt from Powerlet to Cigarette rather than just Cigarette type? I guess I'm missing something. :blink:

All the farkles I have are, for the most part, connected to my Eastern Beaver Box. I do want to add a connector up front to plug in a cell phone charger while I ride. I figured I'd just do one of those nice, weatherproof, spring-loaded cap type cigarette lighter receptacles but now I wonder if I should go with a Powerlet and an adapter. Can someone explain what I would be gaining by using the Powerlet? What makes it better and why is it good to adapt from Powerlet to Cigarette rather than just Cigarette type? I guess I'm missing something. :blink:
smaller size port fits in the A or D panels (with all of the stuff underneath) and a bit more weatherproof / rugged.

Another (less expensive) option would be to install a bulkhead SAE 2-pin power connector (think 2 wire trailer connector). I know I've seen some other folks using those and they look like a pretty good (and frugal) idea. They are very rugged and completely water resistant.

Or, if you don't even want to cut any holes in your panels, just run a fused battery tender cable from the battery to somewhere convenient up front. Then use SAE type connectors to hook up your accessories. Also makes it convenient to power a small air pump for tire emergencies.

That is how I power my mini tank bag on my VFR800. The tender cable comes up between the tank and seat (between my legs) and plugs into a pigtail coming from the rear of the tank bag. When I am not using the tank bag I just tuck the bike end of the cable under the seat.

Do you usually ride with a tank bag? If so, you can electrify that and have cigarette lighter ports for your cell charger and anything else you want to plug in. That is what I do. I have a single powerlet port in the "D" panel that is direct (fused) wired to the battery. I plug a cable into it that runs to a 3 way cigarette power port in the tank bag. Inside the tank bag I have most of my electronica, my Starcom1, cell phone charger and (usually) cell phone, etc. I also run a cable from there to the radar detector up on the right bar. My GPS has a hardwired, switched 12V power cable, with a mini co-axial inline power disconnect up on the triple tree so that I can quickly remove it when necessary.

Copy that!

Makes sense on the panel install regarding size. I already have an SAE connector off the battery, hidden down where the coolant reservoir is. That works for my Tender as well as my compressor that I carry under my seat. My GPS, 9500i RD, 900i Alarm, Clothing connection, and Autocom (underseat), are all hardwired and switched (except GPS is unswitched). I do like the idea that you are using for the adapter to the tankbag. About the only thing that I can think of currently is just charging my Droid while on the road so the tankbag would seem the best place for that.

I'm gonna be tearing into this soon to install a Stebel, and HID headlamps so I better get on the horn and get a powerlet ordered up to do it at the same time.

Copy that!
Makes sense on the panel install regarding size. I already have an SAE connector off the battery, hidden down where the coolant reservoir is. That works for my Tender as well as my compressor that I carry under my seat. As I mentioned, my GPS, 9500i RD, 900i Alarm, Clothing connection, and Autocom (underseat), are all hardwired and switched (except GPS is unswitched). I do like the idea that you are using for the adapter to the tankbag. About the only thing that I can think of currently is just charging my Droid while on the road so the tankbag would seem the best place for that.

I'm gonna be tearing into this soon to install a Stebel, and HID headlamps so I better get on the horn and get a powerlet ordered up to do it at the same time.
One other thought, you could put a cigarette charger port in the glove box, just like those cheesy 2nd gens have. :rolleyes:

Copy that!
Makes sense on the panel install regarding size. I already have an SAE connector off the battery, hidden down where the coolant reservoir is. That works for my Tender as well as my compressor that I carry under my seat. As I mentioned, my GPS, 9500i RD, 900i Alarm, Clothing connection, and Autocom (underseat), are all hardwired and switched (except GPS is unswitched). I do like the idea that you are using for the adapter to the tankbag. About the only thing that I can think of currently is just charging my Droid while on the road so the tankbag would seem the best place for that.

One other thought, you could put a cigarette charger port in the glove box, just like those cheesy 2nd gens have. :rolleyes:
Damn Fred, I see your trying to be like your hero Howie with the Gen II bashing... what are you poor bastards gonna do when it's time to upgrade from the Gen I. Then again, I'm sure whatever koolaid you all are drinking at the time will be the best ever!

But yes! The cigarette lighter in the glove box is cheesy! protected at a whopping 2.5amp fuse.... My first test of my air compressor fried that sucker in a millisecond! My first thought....Cheap ass air compressor!

So adding a Powerlet outlet fits the bill for ALL my power needs (to date). No fuse block needed, yet.

If you already have a fuse block, and/or Battery Tender access. A Powerlet would be a bit of overkill.

I'm gonna be tearing into this soon to install a Stebel
You're gonna love that horn! :devil: :yahoo:

In case you haven't researched installs on FJR's, here's a handy list of options including the best one (mine ;) ):

Harald

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=520719

FJRandy

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...autilus+install

Spunkmyer

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=107159

kolonial72

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry513441

I'm gonna be tearing into this soon to install a Stebel
You're gonna love that horn! :devil: :yahoo:

In case you haven't researched installs on FJR's, here's a handy list of options including the best one (mine ;) ):

Harald

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=520719

FJRandy

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...autilus+install

Spunkmyer

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=107159

kolonial72

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry513441

Ohh....I Know! So far, it's the ONLY thing I really miss from having my little sport-tour version Suzuki SV! That horn was awesome and the new owner wouldn't let me keep it.

Damn Fred, I see your trying to be like your hero Howie with the Gen II bashing... what are you poor bastards gonna do when it's time to upgrade from the Gen I. Then again, I'm sure whatever koolaid you all are drinking at the time will be the best ever!

Scotty, Scotty, Scotty... I'm not trying to be like Howie... He's trying to be like me! :p

Some day you may come to appreciate the truth in this situation: That Mamma Yamma got it right(er) the 1st time with the FJR.

In an attempt to appease the whining of the peckerhead PDP buyers, who bought their FJRs and then promptly abandoned them and ran back to BMW (maybe because the FJR final drives were too robust) who complained that the "heat" was too much, and maybe the bikes were too light and too fast for their tastes, they ended up screwing the proverbial pooch and installing bad ECUs (recall!), overloaded ignition switches (recall!), flaming ground spiders (should be a recall!), ridiculously overcomplicated automatic shifting transmissions that dealers can't fix when they break... You get the picture.

I'll stick with my "too hot for you" 1st gen, thanks. ;) And if this one wears out (it probably never will) I'll just buy another lightly used one.

Scotty, Scotty, Scotty... I'm not trying to be like Howie... He's trying to be like me! :p

Some day you may come to appreciate the truth in this situation: That Mamma Yamma got it right(er) the 1st time with the FJR.

In an attempt to appease the whining of the peckerhead PDP buyers, who bought their FJRs and then promptly abandoned them and ran back to BMW (maybe because the FJR final drives were too robust) who complained that the "heat" was too much, and maybe the bikes were too light and too fast for their tastes, they ended up screwing the proverbial pooch and installing bad ECUs (recall!), overloaded ignition switches (recall!), flaming ground spiders (should be a recall!), ridiculously overcomplicated automatic shifting transmissions that dealers can't fix when they break... You get the picture.

I'll stick with my "too hot for you" 1st gen, thanks. ;) And if this one wears out (it probably never will) I'll just buy another lightly used one.
If you honestly believe the garbage you were spewing, you would be more apt to quietly enjoy your superior bike, instead of jumping on any opportunity (even off topic like this thread) to bad mouth a Gen II and or AE.

My desire to own an FJR came from a test drive on a Gen I that had 90K miles on it. I'm sure you would tell me, I should have bought that bike (as over priced as it was) instead of my Gen II. You probably even believe I would have been better off.

I am smart enough to realize all bikes have advantages and disadvantages.

My AE has never needed ANY work other than the scheduled preventative to date. The only complaints you have listed above that has merit is the ground spider problem on the Gen II and the heat problem on the Gen I. If it's been recalled, that is a suitable acknowledgement. Yamaha fixed the Gen I heat issue (Gen II), and I hope once enough data is collected will address and recall the Ground Spider issue in the near future (before someone gets hurt). If they don't, I will address it myself before 20-25K.

Considering I picked up my shiny new bike off the showroom floor for less than 11K (including the YES warranty you think I need so desperately), I've got NO complaints.

So I guess my query is why would you, someone smart enough to avoid such a POS as the Gen II?

Thank God for the Gen I, or I wouldn't owner of a very complicated, bloated, over gadgeted Gen II AE ;)

Are you by chance in Politics? :unsure:

If you honestly believe the garbage you were spewing, ......
Whoa!

Take a chill pill......and lighten up there a bit Francis. ;)

Seriously. There's a difference between friendly bike generation rivalry and where this thread appears to be going. Everybody take a chill pill.

Thanks.

The Management

If you honestly believe the garbage you were spewing, ......
Whoa!

Take a chill pill......and lighten up there a bit Francis. ;)

Seriously. There's a difference between friendly bike generation rivalry and where this thread appears to be going. Everybody take a chill pill.

Thanks.

The Management

Really Scotty... You haven't the ability to see the humor here.. Good Gawd!! thankfully Reno and a few of the more dedicated Superior GenI riders ain't chimed in..

:jester: