What type of gear are you using

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainMaxMan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I only bought my FJR last fall and never had time to get any proper riding gear yet. I don't want sport bike stuff and figure adventure riding gear is not right either. I love yamaha gear but not much of a selection here in Canada. I would like to have leather for safety and warmth, not the warmest way up north here, and like to have some other protection.What do you guys wear?

I use Klim Latitude way up hear in Southern Canada
smile.png

https://www.klim.com/Cat/Outerwear/Gender/Men/SubCat/Jacket-Non-Insulated/Passion/Motorcycle

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear mesh and textile, depending on the time of year, so I can't comment specifically on leather. Just make sure you get a motorcycle specific leather jacket. You'll find inexpensive ones, that are just leather fashion jackets with pads put in, so I'd stay away from those. Shop at well-known stores, such as Revzilla https://www.revzilla.com/mens-leather-motorcycle-jackets , that will give you a variety of styles and prices, to suit your needs.

Best of luck,

Rob

Klim Badlands Pro Jacket, Motoport Ultra II Cordura Pants, Nolan N104 helmet, Sidi On Road Gore-tex boots (discontinued), Racer High End gloves (discontinued).

Aerostich Roadcrafter R3. Expensive and took a few tries to get the proper fit, but love it!!! It's good in almost all weather conditions, except hot and humid. I've ridden as low as 30 degrees (Beartooth Pass) and as high as 104 (dry heat in Arkansas) and it was fine. Hot and humid in New York was a little uncomfortable last year. Vents on the upper part, but no vents on the legs.

Take your time and buy the right gear. It might be expensive, but it's worth it.

PS: I really like the look of the Klim gear and have only heard good things about it.

stevec677 posted: Aerostich Roadcrafter R3. Expensive and took a few tries to get the proper fit, but love it!!! It's good in almost all weather conditions, except hot and humid.
Ding, Ding! Another R3 one-piece wearer here.

I have mesh gear, too (Yamaha jacket; Alpinestars overpants) but still wear the R3 unless I need to be 'presentable' at my destination. Hot and humid + R3 = wilted shirt and necktie in less than 5 minutes. They'll last 15 minutes in the mesh gear -- which is just about my commute time.

Mesh gear + t-shirt + short pants = fun riding experience (but does not = ATGATT)

I would also recommend the R3 for what you're looking for, despite the fact that it's not leather.

Another vote (actually two as we both have them) for Aerostich RoadCrafter. We use them in the cooler weather, less than 90. For long summer trips, we have Revit mesh jackets and Olympia pants, both with removable liners for cold and light rain. I can vouch for this latter setup as it was well tested when I hit a dog a few years ago and slid quite a ways on broken asphalt. We carry rain over-jackets for those gully-washers you get in Nevada and the west coast.

Oh, BTW, the Roadcrafter has been well tested as well. Had to send it back once for repair one as I slid on my butt quite a ways!

I wear Motoport stretch Kevlar pants with the Kevlar mesh jacket, alpine stars gortex boots, Olympia gortex gloves. The gloves change depending on the season! What is underneath varies also, lol.

Tour Master Transition II jacket, Olympia pants, Sidi boots, Held & Teknic gloves, Knox and Forcefield spine protectors. Now that I don't have my R1 any longer, my 2 piece leathers are just hanging in the closet. They seem a little out of place on the FJR, haha!

Klim Badlands Pro for long multi-day rides

Aerostich Roadcrafter for short trips and work

Sidi boots (I have narrow feet)

Velocity Gear gloves

Schuberth or Shoei Helmet

Don't bother with leather gear.

+1 on the Revzilla site - also check out motorcyclegear.com - they have good, honest reviews and great pricing.

If you dont mind used check adventure rider forum. They have top notch stuff for sale all the time. I got a great deal on my olympia airglide pants and jacket as a set on motorcycle closeouts. Ive been updating my gear over the last few months. Picked up a scorpion 920 modular and got a set of rev it neutron gloves in the mail today.

If you're on a budget, Look at Tourmaster textile, Decent quality, waterproof or at least mostly waterproof and you can get everything boots, jacket, pants and gloves for $500-600 USD.