What's the Best Replacement Front Fork Springs--Gen I?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To confuse you more I have a set of Gen II stock springs with 8K miles on them off an 06'. Make me an offer and they are yours. I don't know what they cost new. Having said that, I would go with something aftermarket. My front end was squishy with the stock springs but I'm 250lbs.

Yabbut... as I showed in the table above, the spring rate on the 2nd gen fork spring (.85kg/mm) is actually softer than the 2nd stage of the dual-rate 1st Gen springs (0.8 - 1.1 kg/mm). Not sure why anyone would prefer the 2nd Gen spring over the 1st Gen.

Yabbut... as I showed in the table above, the spring rate on the 2nd gen fork spring (.85kg/mm) is actually softer than the 2nd stage of the dual-rate 1st Gen springs (0.8 - 1.1 kg/mm). Not sure why anyone would prefer the 2nd Gen spring over the 1st Gen.
I wouldn't trust that table even if the data came out of the FSMs. The GEN1 springs that came out of my 05 are not 1.1 kg/mm in the second stage.

Race Tech here with gold valves. Invested a great deal of time to figure out the stack that went in the tubes.

Major challenges are related to the spacer length, you will have to cut the spacer since the Race Tech springs are longer than stock, which is a good thing in my opinion for the suspension travel range.

Plus, do not forget the plastic spring buffers - Race Tech springs will dangle and bang around without them.

An appropriate washer on top of the cartridges is mandatory so as to prevent the Race Tech springs of getting wedged on top of the cartridge - a major disaster and potentially life threatening.

GP sells a spring kit that has a flanged collar that interfaces between the top of the cartridge and the bottom of the spring. With the L shaped cross section of the collar is securely holds the bottom of the spring in place and prevents it from sliding over the top of the cartridge, as has been known to happen with certain other springs

100_4117.jpg

100_4118.jpg

They also sell these "Spring Buffers" (black spool looking thing), which are installed into the top of the spring to hold the spring concentric to the damper rod, especially as it gets compressed. You just need to shorten the spacer by the thickness of the buffer's top.

100_4017.jpg

I believe mine were 1.05 kg/mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Now Fred, you got me all worried that my new Traxxion Omni springs are going to slip over whatever stock cartridge is down there.
uhoh.gif

I do not recall what brand of springs it was that were slipping over the cartridges, It was in the earlier days of Gen 2, so the after-market spring makers may have tightened the tolerances a bit since then. Still, that GP Suspension flange is a pretty good idea.

PS - I believe that the top of the 2nd Gen cartridge is shaped pretty much the same as the top of the 1st Gen in my pictures above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now Fred, you got me all worried that my new Traxxion Omni springs are going to slip over whatever stock cartridge is down there.
uhoh.gif
I had a set of Traxxion AK-20s sitting in my garage last winter and my recollection is that the springs had a much smaller outside diameter than the OEM springs. If you are worried about it, just call Traxxion or send them an email.

As I recollect it when doing revalve and respring of Gen 2 forks, the top of the cartridges is narrower than the Gen 1 cartridges. Pictures of the naked Gen 2 cartridges are available in several fantastic write ups provided by this FJR community.

So the problem compounded with the wider diameter RacTech springs was worrisome and I spent time finding a proper washer to add to the stack that went into the tubes. This sure adds value to the GP flange piece depicted in Fred's pictures.

The Gen 1 came from the factory with a large, flat washer pressed onto the top of the cartridge. The spring was free to float around on the top of that flat washer. The photo I posted above was after that washer was removed. I believe that the Gen 2's were the same cartridge, just without that big washer.

Here's a picture of the stock Gen 1configuration:

100_4115.jpg

100_4116.jpg

And here's a better picture of the GP suspensions spring and flange. They sell the same spring kits for 1st and 2nd Gens. You just remove the big flat washer and install their spiffy flange.

100_4117.jpg

Find someone near you with an upgraded suspension that will let you ride their bike.
If you can't tell a difference, then save a bunch of money and don't do anything.....

smile.png
Mike - I think this is an idea worth considering - I upgraded to GP awhile back and just (finally) had Roseville change the fork oil and we made some other adjustments at Zack's suggestion - if you want to go this route (e.g trying my bike) give me a shout but it's a no go for me this weekend.

Find someone near you with an upgraded suspension that will let you ride their bike.
If you can't tell a difference, then save a bunch of money and don't do anything.....

smile.png
Mike - I think this is an idea worth considering - I upgraded to GP awhile back and just (finally) had Roseville change the fork oil and we made some other adjustments at Zack's suggestion - if you want to go this route (e.g trying my bike) give me a shout but it's a no go for me this weekend.
Thanks Dan. Good hearing from you, and I'd like to get together for a ride as soon as we can make it happen. Think up a good route, 'k? Might be a while for me, for a couple reasons, tho.

But thanks to everybody for all the info and suggestions here. I took the bike to Roseville a couple weeks back and let them do the whole job, including new front forks to replace the bent ones (how the hell did THAT happen?) I had.

But thanks to everybody for all the info and suggestions here. I took the bike to Roseville a couple weeks back and let them do the whole job, including new front forks to replace the bent ones (how the hell did THAT happen?) I had.
Ouch! Sounds expensive.

You haven't popped any deer on that thing have you? :unsure: I'm pretty sure that was how my '05 fork legs got tweaked.

uhoh.gif
I had a set of Traxxion AK-20s sitting in my garage last winter and my recollection is that the springs had a much smaller outside diameter than the OEM springs. If you are worried about it, just call Traxxion or send them an email.
Traxxion has told me they have installed that spring kit on hundreds of FJRs, no trouble there.

I just pleased as punch with that kit. It is so much better than the stock setup.

I wonder how much better the AK-20s would be.

Get the Hyperpro set, both front and rear. I installed them 2 years ago along with a new Gen2 rear shock.

It was huge improvement in both ride quality and overall stability. One of the best bang for your buck upgrades!