Wheaton finally rides to California

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
REVISED 4/20/11

The purpose of this thread is just to let people know my plans for the trip out to Kali this upcoming May...so I can meet up with you guys as I get out there.

I will have airboss taking this trip with me, splitting motel costs. Unfortunately, very unfortunately, griff recently had to bow out of this trip...therefore it is just airboss and me...

2wildandcrazyguys.png

Griff will be manning the home base while airboss and I do this Kali foxes!! recon for him. Quite frankly, I think barb and Tyler scared the bejesus out of him...or was it Old Michael...I forget.

Tyler and Rich/exskibum have been quite invaluable for helping this plan morph into reality...in fact making it better than I thought possible, because it looks like I am going to be able to meet LOTS of you guys out there! :clapping:

The weekend of May 20, 21, 22 Tyler has posted plans for meeting places...

Plans for rides/gatherings for Friday night in Santa Clara<clicky>

where it looks like airboss and I will be joined by:

Beemerdons,

Big-D,

Fairlaner,

SacramentoMike,

Panman,

EscapeFJRtist and maybe others...

Saturday breakfast at Alices'<clicky>

barb

Tyler

Highlander

Brodie

SacMike

MM2

HYCLE +1

rogdeb

jwhite518 (maybe)

beemerdons

Nightshine

James Burleigh

Panman

Saturday night in Bodega Bay<clicky>,

Tyler

barb

Fairlaner

SacMike

exskibum + guest

Highlander

MM2

Brodie

Nightshine

beemerdons

rogdeb

Old Michael

HYCLE +1

Roseville Steve

Big-D

gfran +1

Panman

and Sunday night <clicky>

Sunday night AND Monday night

FJRay

Fairlaner-HIX

Big-D

Rich/exskibum +1

Sunday night only

beemerdons

Tyler-Super8

Thanks Tyler for planning all that! <whew!> :clapping:

Although I have my Gazetteer (AND a GPS now!)to figure out the good roads in NorCal, Rich/exskibum, Tyler and others have provided great route ideas and suggestions. If someone is free and wants to ride those roads during the week, keep an eye on this thread for itinerary updates.

Revised itinerary...

Sat May14 THRU Tues May17

SAT-MAY14TOTUES-MAY17.jpg

Sat May14 Leave Wheaton for Denver area

Sun May15 Leave Denver area for Bryce Canyon

Mon May16 Go thru Bryce and Zion, then head to just east/north of Death Valley area in Beatty, NV.

Tues May17 Leave in AM thru Death Valley for Goleta area...visit and stay with my Dad, while airboss stays in local motel near Solveng - in Buellton, CA.

Wed May18 Breakfast with Dad...then head north, meet up with airboss and KJ in Los Olivos and ride having Khunajawdge as a tour guide. KJ to assist in performing Trooper Mod!!...have lunch over at Morro Bay. After the day's riding, Stay at this motel: Paso Robles Motel 6

Thu May19 Head north on some great roads...route TBD...and head back on Hwy 1 in the afternoon. Buy Tyler some dinner at Big Bubba's BBQ . Stay overnight at Paso Robles Motel 6

Fri May20

Route may be different than shown on this map. TBD...probably similar to Fairlaner's route in post #257...

FRI-MAY20PASOROBLESTOSANTACLARA.jpg

Fri May20 Strike out from Paso Robles, ride with Tyler and airboss, and maybe Fairlaner and FJRonaMission. Stay Friday night at:

Vagabond Inn

3580 El Camino Real

Santa Clara, CA 95051

(408) 241-0771

www.vagabondsc.com‎

<clicky>,

Sat May21

SAT-MAY21SANTACLARATOBODEGABAY.jpg

Sat May21 Meet with others at Alice's for breakfast <clicky>...then ride some great roads with friends then head north and over the GG Bridge and into Marin or Russian River area and then over to Bodega Bay and stay at the Bodega Coast Inn & Suites Saturday night<clicky>

Sun May22

SUN-MAY22BODEGABAYTOFORTUNA.jpg

Sun May22 Rise up bright and cheery and have a great ride with our friends up Hwy 1 (Skaggs to 101 and along the Avenue of the Giants)and into Fortuna staying with others at the:

**Fortuna Super 8

1805 Alamar Way

Fortuna, CA 95540

(707) 725-2888

www.super8fortuna.com‎

<clicky>

Mon May23

MONMAY23.jpg

The "zoomed in" area roads look like this...

MONMAY23ZOOM.jpg

Mon May23 Leave with other Norcal riders from the Fortuna base, go north on 101 from Fortuna lodgings to 299 east to Willow Creek. Then north on 96 along the Klamath River to just above Yreka. Then south out of Yreka on 3 to 299 west. 299 west to 101 south and back to Fortuna for more rest, food, alcoholic beverages. Stay with others at either the Comfort Inn or the Super 8...across the parking lot (stumbling distance) from the Eel River Brewery.

Tues May24

TUESMAY24FORTUNATOAUBURN.jpg

Tues May24 Head east from Fortuna with other Norcal riders, 36 east all the way to 89. South on 89 to Graeagle, where you take Gold Lakes Road to 49 at Bassetts. West and south on 49 to Peardale where airboss and I will be staying with the Bugnatr's...and I will be sampling patron for the first time.

Wed May25 From Bugnatr:

Mark, why not add an invite of our Wed. 25th ride to your post.
We can plan a 9 am meet in Grass Valley for anyone who wants to join us. The route will be the secret back way to Oroville then on up Hwy 70 (the Feather River canyon) to Quincy for lunch at the Courthouse Cafe and back to Grass Valley via LaPorte Rd (if open-I'll know by then) or Hwy49 to Grass Valley. Plenty of twisty's no matter how we do this.

This is an easy day ride with plenty of time for photo stops etc.
clicky for Bugnatr's ride

Airboss and I will be following wherever Bugnatr leads us...I'm sure it will be a great day. Staying back at Bugnatr's. Thanks Doug!

Thu May 26

THURS-MAY26LAKETAHOE.jpg

Following Rich/exskibum's guided tour around Lake Tahoe. Kickstands up at 9:30am. According to Rich in post#400...we'll do the Back Way route up to and around Lake Tahoe and back, parting ways in the afternoon where Gold Hill Road tees into 193 in the afternoon, with you going west to Lincoln and me returning to Auburn. Here's the deets:

This "Back Way" will be the alternative to I-80 for all but about 15 miles from Auburn to Truckee. It is mostly what is left of historic Old Hwy.40, with a few exceptions, and the route back will have some differences from the route up. Our route will take us by Donner Lake and all the way around Lake Tahoe . . . BEFORE tourist season arrives -- LOTS of photo ops this time of year with clouds, blue sky, deep blue lake and snow on the mountain tops. Lunch probably at The Landing, on the Lake in Kings Beach.

Thursday, May 26, 2010, meet @ the Starbucks at 13345 Lincoln Way in Auburn, which is ~100 yards west of Foresthill Road and just south of I-80 at its Foresthill exit. Chevron gasoline available at the corner about 75 yards from Starbucks. Kickstands up at 9:30 am. Rough guess is that you'll be in Lincoln between 4 and 5 pm.

(If you're staying at the Super 8 in Auburn, you'll be less than a half mile away from Starbucks.)

I meet up with my Uncle in Lincoln and stay there while airboss will overnight at the Auburn Super 8.

Fri May27 THRU Sun May29

FRI-MAY27TOSUN-MAY29.jpg

Fri May27 Leave my Uncle's in Lincoln, meet up with airboss in Auburn as we both head east across the great expanse on US 50 to Delta, Utah.

Sat May28 Leave Delta, Utah for the Denver area.

Sun May29 Leave Denver area for Wheaton and Pekin.

Mon May30 Go to Memorial Day parade...and relax/take a nap.

Hope to see some of you as we pass thru. :clapping:

I will update this first post with locations and more detail in itinerary periodically.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll meet up with you in Bryce/Zion, Mark; ride to Creston with you, but I'm not going near those NorCal Crazies!
I'm up for that Don...BTW, my itinerary on the way out to Kali IS weather dependent. If a freak snow storm is occuring in the Rockies I may have to swing down into NM and AZ on the way out to Kali instead. Either way, I'd be up for meeting you on the way out to Kali.

Wed May18 Breakfast with Dad...then head north...stop in at Creston??

Thu May19 Head north along coast?

Fri May20 Head up to NorCal...camp or motel?/meet with NorCal gathering? Somebody wanna organize??

Sat May21 meet/ride with NorCal riders?

Sun May22 meet/ride with NorCal riders?
Wheatie me laddie, I'll do everything possible to make you stay in Central Kali for at least a day/night. I must first check the work schedule to see if I'll be doing another Diablo outage before I can fully commit to showing you some of the best freaking roads you've ever been on, IMHO, of course. :fuck: :lol:

Worst case scenario? I'll provide you some super-secret gps routes that have never been shared before.. ;)

I'll meet up with you in Bryce/Zion, Mark; ride to Creston with you, but I'm not going near those NorCal Crazies!
That would be some great motobike fun, to quote mi amigo RJ.. :lol: Once again, depending upon the work thing, I just might you two up there and ride back to here, just for the freakin hoot of it all!
Wheatie, this is just so cool!

I see MadMike2 ready to post..

:lol:

Come on, Mike, what's taking so long?

Writing a novel? :p :eek:

I'm up for that Don...BTW, my itinerary on the way out to Kali IS weather dependent. If a freak snow storm is occuring in the Rockies I may have to swing down into NM and AZ on the way out to Kali instead. Either way, I'd be up for meeting you on the way out to Kali.
Y'know...that'll mean you'd be carrying beemerdons' cooties. That could make you anathema or possibloy make the NorCal group even crazier. And it's all Don's fault! :rolleyes:

Hmmmm....maybe we should ride South and infect Don!?!? :bleh:

:yahoo: Ooohhhhhhh...Party at Carver's! :yahoo:

Good for you wheatie! You will absolutely love the roads in NorCal...and the company isn't too bad either. ;) Keep the itinerary up to date so we can keep tabs on ya in the next few months... :)

--G

Wheaties is a careless lover that way. After awhile you get use to it.

I was giving him 2 days, since he is a little older after all.

You know you can make it to CA in like 1 day you cream puff!
Fixed it for you.

What's up Wheatie? Not even a reach around for us in Arizona?
Yeah Wheatie, for a "Good Time" come to Arizona. Since you're already at Bryce & Zion National Parks and your NP Park Pass is good for a week (unless you get a Life Time Seniors Pass like MadMike2 and Papa Chuy have!), you might as well at least drop down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Jacob Lake. jes' sayin'

You know you can make it to CA in like 1 day you cream puff!
Fixed it for you.

What's up Wheatie? Not even a <visit to> us in Arizona?
Hey, I'll be in your backyard in Zion waiting for you. Don't tell me I'm gonna get that close to AZ and yer not even gonna make the effort?! I even told you when I was gonna be there - against my better judgement. :)

Hey this trip is all about Kali...I'm sure I'll make it to the southwest one of these years...in case you wuss out and don't even bother to make the trip up to Bryce and Zion. ;)

Wheatie me laddie, I'll do everything possible to make you stay in Central Kali for at least a day/night. I must first check the work schedule to see if I'll be doing another Diablo outage before I can fully commit to showing you some of the best freaking roads you've ever been on, IMHO, of course. :fuck: :lol:

I'm amenable to being persuaded to ride great roads! :yahoo:

It would be nice to know if anyone is interested in a gathering on that weekend...

and if one or two or three people figured out where a good place for that would be... :)

Who usually does this out there in Kali land?

It would be nice to know if anyone is interested in a gathering on that weekend...

and if one or two or three people figured out where a good place for that would be... :)

Who usually does this out there in Kali land?
That would be "La Reina de Irlandes con FJR"; Miss Tyler, the Irish FJR Queen of NorCal; ese!

First, per the report on snowpack on the news I heard last night, Tom may have been right (in the other thread on this trip) about the seasonal passes opening late. It said that we are well above 100% snowpack levels (they measure for the water in the snowpack) in the northern Sierra and 227% in the southern Sierra.

Second, May 22 is about the time everyone is going to want to be riding -- green grass everywhere, perfect temperatures, long days, passes usually open, coast usually fog free. We'll forge some sort of riding itinerary between us, and you'll pretty much be riding great roads everywhere.

Wheaties -- as your general route and dates in specific areas gets fleshed out (it's a big state), some of us will probably step up in the next few months and plot some routes (e.g., in Mapsource). Tell us what you want to see if you know -- like Tahoe, the coast, and the general order in which you think it might best go together, how many miles on how many days (400 miles of mostly twisties in the Sierras is a good day, but probably not something I'd be as excited about if I did that kind of riding 8 days in a row).

In other words, unless you want to follow in Dolly's footsteps, let us know HOW you want to get your sore ass passed around. :lol: