Wheaton finally rides to California

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Wheatie you will have plenty to do out here. If you need a place to stay near Nevada City we have room for you or you can camp in our yard :lol: Your also welcome to use my garage for any on the road FJR needs.

California will help you round off you tires after the desert crossings.

Well Wheatie you will have plenty to do out here. If you need a place to stay near Nevada City we have room for you or you can camp in our yard :lol: Your also welcome to use my garage for any on the road FJR needs.

California will help you round off you tires after the desert crossings.
That's a very generous offer there Bugnatr...when I finish up my itinerary...I'll let you know. Hope to see you while I'm out there.

...And Mark, I am bringing my gear.

:lol:
1. So am I. We might match! Pink, right?

2. Seriously, I'm glad yer bringing gear...cuz I've never crashed with anyone on the back.

3. If I don't have the tent and sleeping bag on the pillion, yer welcome to it. Just hang on cuz you never know which way the road will turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich,

I just looked at the Fortuna area on the Gazetteer. HOLY CRAP! 36 goes on forever! :yahoo:

Looks like my kinda place. :clapping:

...And Mark, I am bringing my gear.

1. So am I. We might match! Pink, right?

2. Seriously, I'm glad yer bringing gear...cuz I've never crashed with anyone on the back.

3. If I don't have the tent and sleeping back on the pillion, yer welcome to it. Just hang on cuz you never know which way the road will turn.
I'm just hoping there'll be something fer me to grab hold of, hehe

https://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/RockyMtn/UT/UT_index.htm Bummer you won't be able to fit in Utah Highway 95 on your M/C trip Mark. Wolfhound is right, 95 is a righteous motorcycle road. This website details all of the Utah roads you will be riding and they are all fabulous. As we get closer to your departure we Zonies will name a place and time where we will meet you. https://classic.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Chandler&1s=AZ&1y=US&1l=33.306099&1g=-111.840599&1v=CITY&2c=Boulder&2s=UT&2y=US&2l=37.908298&2g=-111.422203&2v=CITY 500 miles for Robert and Papa Chuy that day also on Sunday, May 15.

I hope you're taking 95 to 24 to 12 to get to Bryce Canyon. Possibly the best ride in all of Utah ! Or at least 24 to 12 to get there. You won't be dissapointd for sure.
Thanks for the tips...definitely doing 24 to 12 to get there... :)

I don't think I will be able to fit 95 in as I am coming from the east side of Denver that morning...and staying about 8 miles south of Boulder Utah...as it presently stands. That's already a shade over 500 miles.
Awesome ! The bottom half of 24 & all of 12 is the best riding in the state, ask anyone whos been there. The section south from the highway is very boring but worth it to get to the rest of the ride. You can stop for a burger & gas in Hanksville & make it the rest of the way easy to Bryce.

Enjoy !

Don't worry Don, I'll do a SW trip some year where I catch that, AZ, NM, and southern CO.

I just wanted to fit in some pretty parts of Utah on my way out to Kali. It will be all for nought...if I-70 happens to be snowed in with a spring storm that weekend.

Don't worry Don, I'll do a SW trip some year where I catch that, AZ, NM, and southern CO.

I just wanted to fit in some pretty parts of Utah on my way out to Kali. It will be all for nought...if I-70 happens to be snowed in with a spring storm that weekend.
https://www.islanderrvresort.com/ If Interstate 70 is snowed in, we Zonies have got a back up plan! I own a vacation home at Lake Havasu City (Big-D's home town) at the Islander Resort over the London Bridge. Come across on Interstate 40 and spend two nights at my getaway place; two bedrooms, pull out bed in the living room and in mid-May it is still cool enough at night a dozen guys could sleep out on my patio deck. We will fire up my Boston Whaler power boat and my two jet skis, load them up with beers and food, and hit Lake Havasu and the Colorado river for a day of boozing and eating!

island-aerial-view.jpg
My home's in the middle by the trees.

Then we will send you on your way West on Tuesday, May 17; probably some of us will continue on to Kalifornia with you and camp out at the Honderosa!

Damn you Beemerdons...you're trying to make this a 4 week trip aren't you by waving pretty and shiny things in front of me. :lol:

All seriousness aside, I really appreciate your generosity...and hope I get back to the southwest again sometime...in spite of everything you have said on this forum. :)

Damn you rich retirees! :p

This trip is all about Central and NorCal...

Damn you Beemerdons...you're trying to make this a 4 week trip aren't you by waving pretty and shiny things in front of me. :lol:

All seriousness aside, I really appreciate your generosity...and hope I get back to the southwest again sometime...in spite of everything you have said on this forum. :)

Damn you rich retirees! :p

This trip is all about Central and NorCal...
Mi Casa es su Casa, mi bueno Amigo; Saludos!

Rich,

I just looked at the Fortuna area on the Gazetteer. HOLY CRAP! 36 goes on forever! :yahoo:

If it were me, I'd probably spend 2 nights in Fortuna. There's a reason we NorCal riders go over there for a 3 day weekend pretty much every year. Stay at either the Comfort Inn or the Super 8 across the parking lot (stumbling distance) from the Eel River Brewery.

Hwy 1 north to Fortuna is just terrific, and you won't find a more sublime set of rhythmic twisties on good pavement anywhere than Hwy 1 between where it turns inland from the coast and where it hits 101 at Leggett. Just above Garberville, detour off 101 to ride Avenue of the Giants (a quarter to half mile east of 101 and paralleling it). Destination Fortuna with food at the Eel River Brewery, sleep across the parking lot.

While there's more than one way to bag these roads, and a lot more good roads up there, the following is one idea about bagging the essentials in two days.

First morning go north on 101 from Fortuna lodgings to 299 east to Willow Creek. Then north on 96 along the Klamath River to just above Yreka. Then south out of Yreka on 3 to 299 west. 299 west to 101 south and back to Fortuna for more rest, food, alcoholic beverages.

Next morning, 36 east all the way to 89. (I'd reroute this to send you east on 44/299 (from Redding or Red Bluff to hit 89 above Lassen Volcanic Nat'l Park so that you can ride 89 south through the Park IF it's open all the way through by that time of year. Really worth seeing and riding, but they get a lot of snow at the top, so it might be worth a telephone call to the ranger station there.) South on 89 to Graeagle, where you take Gold Lakes Road to 49 at Bassetts. West and south on 49 to Nevada City and 174 south to Bugnater's in Peardale, or continue on 174 to 80 west to Auburn where you're also welcome to stay here (couch in condo available and garage space).

Those are a couple substantial days of riding, and there are ways to reroute or shorten them if you like. But IMHO, those are the "essential" roads in the Eureka - Fortuna - Red Bluff area PLUS the very killer route on 49 from Graeagle to Nevada City.

If you want to ride around Lake Tahoe, you're going to be here at the ideal time -- before the kids are out of school and the tourists pack the roads. From Auburn, I'd be happy to reprise the "Back Way Ride" -- up what remains of old Hwy 40 most of the way to Truckee, lunch on the Lake, circle it and back to Auburn -- a fun, less long day with some really good riding and classic camera opportunities. Next day could start a serious 2 or 3 day education in our favorite passes and routes over, across and up and down the Sierras before spitting you back out in Sacramento.

This trip is all about Central and NorCal going to pay my respects to James Burleigh...
Fixed it for you, Wheaton, because I think it's time you stopped running from the truth and were honest with yourself. So on this note, I look forward to our time together in the San Francisco Bay Area, your principal destination, urban environment or not. If you see some other people along the way, that's okay I guess. And if it turns out I'm still riding motorcycles, well, maybe I'll take you on a little ride into San Francisco (you may have to leave the saddlebags off that day :rolleyes: ).

Till May, my friend.

JB

This trip is all about Central and NorCal going to pay my respects to James Burleigh...
Fixed it for you, Wheaton, because I think it's time you stopped running from the truth and were honest with yourself. So on this note, I look forward to our time together in the San Francisco Bay Area, your principal destination, urban environment or not. If you see some other people along the way, that's okay I guess. And if it turns out I'm still riding motorcycles, well, maybe I'll take you on a little ride into San Francisco (you may have to leave the saddlebags off that day :rolleyes: ).

Till May, my friend.

JB

Well how could I argue with that?

Everyone else in the hospital has seen your penis, I might as well too.

Rich, put those well thought out plans of excellent riding on hold...I gotta go visit JB.

Till May, my friend.

JB

Rich, put those well thought out plans of excellent riding on hold...I gotta go visit JB.
Well, he DID invite you. And JB wonders why some refer to the urban areas around the SF Bay as the Gay Area. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I forgot that there were other "attractions" on the northward journey from Carver's. :eek: :lol:

Till May, my friend.

JB

Well, he DID invite you. And JB wonders why some refer to the urban areas around the SF Bay as the Gay Area. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I forgot that there were other "attractions" on the northward journey from Carver's. :eek: :lol:
Wheatie, two items to consider: 1) I do believe that Old Michael has also seen it, not just the lucky hospital staff. 2) If Hans asks you if you would like to visit The Castro Gulch, the answer to that question is NO!!!

Rich,

If it were me, I'd probably spend 2 nights in Fortuna. There's a reason we NorCal riders go over there for a 3 day weekend pretty much every year. Stay at either the Comfort Inn or the Super 8 across the parking lot (stumbling distance) from the Eel River Brewery.

Hwy 1 north to Fortuna is just terrific, and you won't find a more sublime set of rhythmic twisties on good pavement anywhere than Hwy 1 between where it turns inland from the coast and where it hits 101 at Leggett. Just above Garberville, detour off 101 to ride Avenue of the Giants (a quarter to half mile east of 101 and paralleling it). Destination Fortuna with food at the Eel River Brewery, sleep across the parking lot.

While there's more than one way to bag these roads, and a lot more good roads up there, the following is one idea about bagging the essentials in two days.

First morning go north on 101 from Fortuna lodgings to 299 east to Willow Creek. Then north on 96 along the Klamath River to just above Yreka. Then south out of Yreka on 3 to 299 west. 299 west to 101 south and back to Fortuna for more rest, food, alcoholic beverages.

Next morning, 36 east all the way to 89. (I'd reroute this to send you east on 44/299 (from Redding or Red Bluff to hit 89 above Lassen Volcanic Nat'l Park so that you can ride 89 south through the Park IF it's open all the way through by that time of year. Really worth seeing and riding, but they get a lot of snow at the top, so it might be worth a telephone call to the ranger station there.) South on 89 to Graeagle, where you take Gold Lakes Road to 49 at Bassetts. West and south on 49 to Nevada City and 174 south to Bugnater's in Peardale, or continue on 174 to 80 west to Auburn where you're also welcome to stay here (couch in condo available and garage space).

Those are a couple substantial days of riding, and there are ways to reroute or shorten them if you like. But IMHO, those are the "essential" roads in the Eureka - Fortuna - Red Bluff area PLUS the very killer route on 49 from Graeagle to Nevada City.

If you want to ride around Lake Tahoe, you're going to be here at the ideal time -- before the kids are out of school and the tourists pack the roads. From Auburn, I'd be happy to reprise the "Back Way Ride" -- up what remains of old Hwy 40 most of the way to Truckee, lunch on the Lake, circle it and back to Auburn -- a fun, less long day with some really good riding and classic camera opportunities. Next day could start a serious 2 or 3 day education in our favorite passes and routes over, across and up and down the Sierras before spitting you back out in Sacramento.
Oh jeeeeeez Wheatie !!! Some crazy great roads there :yahoo: