Wheaton finally rides to California

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will be checking in when the time is close. I can be in Yreka in 3 hours and can intercept from there.

Wed May18 Breakfast with Dad...then head north...stop in at Creston??

*Stay the night in Creston with dcarver

Thu May19 Head north along coast?

*Let Don have his way with you (so to speak)

Fri May20 Head up to NorCal...camp or motel?/meet with NorCal gathering? Somebody wanna organize??

*Meet up with whoever in Paso Robles - day ride up to the Bay Area through the backroads (lots to choose from) and up 25 into San Jose or thereabouts

Sat May21 camp-motel?/meet/ride with NorCal riders?

*Ride through my backyard with brunch at Alice's - head north and over the GG Bridge and into Marin

Sun May22 camp-motel?/meet/ride with NorCal riders?

*Marin backroads up to the Russian River area or maybe over to Napa or Sonoma

Mon May23 Ride NorCal's great roads

*Wheatie continues north where I will let someone else take over the planning for the farther north regions

Howzat for starters?
Sounds like a well considered and well thought out plan of the bay and surrounding areas...however, if I am going to get a taste of the Sierras...I don't think this rendition will give me enough time to get up to Eureka, Klamath, Yreka, Lassen, Nevada City areas and the Sierras before getting to my Uncle James in Lincoln Thursday evening before blasting back east Friday morning.

To do that, I think I need to be heading north on 1 towards Fortuna from the weekend gathering (if it is in the Bay area) by Sunday late morning or noontime to get there Sunday evening...if the weekend gathering isn't up in Fortuna already.

That way I can:

Monday: leave from the Fortuna base Monday am for Klamath and Yreka and back via 299, 96, 3, 299 loop.

Tuesday: head east from Fortuna on 36 via Highlander's route to Lassen area and east and down to Nevada City and Bugnators or Rich's place.

Wednesday: Do a full day of Sierra's rampaging via wherever means Rich comes up with.

Thursday: Maybe do Sierras or a lighter day at Lake Tahoe before heading to my Uncle in Lincoln...and heading home across the great expanse. :huh:

Now that I've given you more of an idea what I'm looking to do, does that help?

Tyler, it will be my great privilege and delight to meet you in person...and even be part of a barb/Tyler sandwich if you force me to :lol: Seriously, I appreciate any assistance you give me or planning you do for a get together. This is a trip of a lifetime for me...and meeting you is part of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wed May18 Breakfast with Dad...then head north...stop in at Creston??

*Stay the night in Creston with dcarver

Thu May19 Head north along coast?

*Let Don have his way with you (so to speak)

Fri May20 Head up to NorCal...camp or motel?/meet with NorCal gathering? Somebody wanna organize??

*Meet up with whoever in Paso Robles - day ride up to the Bay Area through the backroads (lots to choose from) and up 25 into San Jose or thereabouts

Sat May21 camp-motel?/meet/ride with NorCal riders?

*Ride through my backyard with brunch at Alice's - head north and over the GG Bridge and into Marin or Russian River area

Sun May22 camp-motel?/meet/ride with NorCal riders?

*Up Hwy 1 (maybe Skaggs to 101 and along the Avenue of the Giants?) and into Fortuna followed by your schedule below

Mon May23 Ride NorCal's great roads

Monday: leave from the Fortuna base Monday am for Klamath and Yreka and back via 299, 96, 3, 299 loop.

Tuesday: head east from Fortuna on 36 via Highlander's route to Lassen area and east and down to Nevada City and Bugnators or Rich's place.

Wednesday: Do a full day of Sierra's rampaging via wherever means Rich comes up with.

Thursday: Maybe do Sierras or a lighter day at Lake Tahoe before heading to my Uncle in Lincoln...and heading home across the great expanse.
Markie-poo... you could easily make Fortuna on that Sunday from Marin or maybe a little farther north into the Russian River area. Would allow you to still meet and ride with the Bay Area contingent and make your way north for further adventures per your schedule above. I've adjusted accordingly... see if that works with what you'd like to do! B)

So we're definite on May 20-21 along the Central Coast (Bay area to Fortuna)?

I need to decide if I need want Friday and Monday as vacation days so I can meet up and ride along.

Have a great time out there, Wheatie!

But don't be fooled. The Kali korksuckers will put up a false face on the neenernets promising you great things and great times.

Don't be fooled.

Jimmy kick 'em. All of 'em.

'Specially that OM guy. Give him a double. Tell him the second one is from me.

And Gregory. He's a bad influence.

And Fairlaner. British humour... I just don't get it.

And Carver. Don't look him in the eye, though. Trust me on this one.

And MM2. He looks old but the man's got moves.

Keep your back to the wall if Shiney is around. And for God's sakes - do NOT bend over in front of the man!

And, as always - keep an eye out for Petey. The dude has mad ninja moves and he's EVERYwhere.

Tyler - nah. Give her a hug. And another from me. And another from Sooze.

JB - nah. Don't wanna hear about him popping his aorta again.

Everyone else in the hospital has seen your penis, I might as well too.
Ahem.

Pictures are NOT required, thank you very much.

Perv.

Update: It looks like airboss AND GRIFF ARE gonna be riding with me from Illinois. :clapping:

I'll probably split motel rooms now instead of camping since the costs are less...save space on the bike. However it looks like the Russell pillion seat will not be open for barb now as I am still taking sleeping bag and sleeping pad along...I hate rollaway beds. So barbie, unless we are based somewhere, and my bedding is stashed in the room, the pillion seat will be supporting bedding.

Since there is another person along with me...all those that offered to put me up...I wouldn't hold you to that since there are more of us along for the ride. Let me know. I still want to meet up and ride with you guys though. :yahoo:

I've ridden with Karl at CFO in Custer a few years back and your both welcome here anytime.

It's a good thing he will be along to watch your back out here. :lol: :lol:

Yeah......Well................I did the west tour in 2009 and 2010, and I said to myself, self in 2011 we are going to stick to the east as delineated by the Mississippi River and self you shall not cross that muddy stream.

Then Wheaton posts up a ride to California and I being of strong moral fiber and iron will. I immediately toss the above into the recycle bin and ask Wheatie if I can ride with him. :yahoo:

Update: It looks like airboss is gonna be riding with me from Illinois. One other might ride with as well, he's still thinking about it. :clapping:

I'll probably split motel rooms now instead of camping since the costs are less...save space on the bike. Russell pillion seat open for barb now. ;)

Since there is another person along with me...all those that offered to put me up...I wouldn't hold you to that since there are more of us along for the ride. Let me know. I still want to meet up and ride with you guys though. :yahoo:
:)

Markie-poo... you could easily make Fortuna on that Sunday from Marin or maybe a little farther north into the Russian River area. Would allow you to still meet and ride with the Bay Area contingent and make your way north for further adventures per your schedule above. I've adjusted accordingly... see if that works with what you'd like to do! B)
That works for me Tyler! :yahoo:

That allows me to:

Thursday: Maybe do Sierras or a lighter day at Lake Tahoe before heading to my Uncle in Lincoln...and heading home across the great expanse.

Tuesday: head east from Fortuna on 36 via Highlander's [???] route to Lassen area and east and down to Nevada City and Bugnators or Rich's place.

Given the amount of snow already, this may be a late year for opening the passes (Ebbets -4, Sonora -108. Tioga -120), so it's hard to plan for what we won't know until just before. IF they were all open, I'd suggest one more day for them. In fact, one more day would bag you some more cool stuff south of Sonora. But hey -- for everything there is a trade-off. I will note that we have done a 4 passes in one day ride (Tioga Pass east to Sonora Pass west to Ebbetts Pass (4) east to Carson Pass (88) west). It's long, requires an early and southern (Sonora area) start, and will kick your butt to even think about trying that in your schedule.

Therefore, let me suggest the following from what you've so far sketched. (I'll assume 108 is open for this, otherwise, we either ride some lower level stuff south and/or have to use 88 over Carson Pass and do some riding around 88, 89 and 50 -- Markleeville, Monitor, etc.). So, here goes:

Wednesday early, we take 49 south to Sonora (maybe meet others at the Jamestown Chevron), where we proceed east over Sonora Pass (108) to 395 north to a good lunch spot right on 395 in Walker. Then it's north on 395 to Topaz Lake for gasoline, where we backtrack south about 2 miles to 89 west over Monitor Pass (it should be open by then). IF Ebbetts Pass (4) is open, we make a left to ride Ebbetts to Murphys and then back to 49 north from there. If Ebbetts is not open, we go right through Markleeville to 88 west, either to Mormon Emigrant trail north to 50 or to Jackson, or 89 north over Luther pass to 50 west to Icehouse Road to Wentworth Springs Road to Georgetown to 193 to 49 back to Auburn area. (again- subject to roads being open, and this could be done in reverse). Will refine as date approaches and we know about the pass openings.

Thursday, meet at Starbucks in Auburn. Ride old Highway 40 route over Donner Summit (by Sugar Bowl and Donner Lake) to 89 south along the Truckee River to Tahoe City and then east to The Landing in Kings Beach for lunch. Then east on 28 and Lakeshore Drive through Incline Village to do the east side of the Lake. Through South Lake Tahoe to 89 north past Emerald Bay and on to Tahoe City to Truckee, back over Donner via 40 west, but on way back, Norton Grade and Placer Hills Road are on the agenda before taking you through the beautiful green hills toward Lincoln (I have a couple great routes toward Lincoln I can lead you down that are gorgeous into the afternoon sun with everything green that time of the spring.)

Sounds like it's a plan that is coming together. :D

Great news about Airboss! You'll make it the WHOLE trip on the bike this time, right Karl? (sorry) I know this will be a zero mishaps trip. Fun to plan, but who knows about weather, snow in the passes, etc. etc., so we'll fine tune as needed, but one thing I know for sure:

I need to decide if I need want Friday and Monday as vacation days so I can meet up and ride along.
I'll have the day off. Whatever day you guys come. And the day before. And after..... :yahoo:

Poor working stiff bastards.

Oh, and,

Everyone else in the hospital has seen your penis, I might as well too.
Ahem.

Pictures are NOT required, thank you very much.

Perv.

He won't NEED a picture. He can meet him in person.... :lol:

Yeah Mike, gravel bit me last year, broken collar bone.

laid up for 3 weeks, but had a good trip home on the bike.

...................................OH SH*T, I'm riding out with Wheatie..........................The Gravel Magnet. :dribble:

Yer a funny one there Karl.

I'm only dangerous when I don't know where I'm going...you should be able to tell me where to go, right? :lol:

Hey Karl...gravel magnet eh, absolutely, last time we rode with wheaty he did pull the same crap... :glare: