Wheaton finally rides to California

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due to freekin weather out in the desert around barstow tommorow, 50mph+ sand blow'n zero visibilty windstorm.( duke don't like sand in his ears) We have cancelled paso robles & have changed our trip to leave thur and do a loop in sequia/kings canyon nat'l parks on saturday (anyone not going to N cal & want'a ride with us Sat we will be at motel 6 visalia friday night)

Unable to come up to N Cal as I have & a friend comin in to visit me fer the week on monday

Tom, not sure who died and made me El Jefe but Friday is a 270 mile route with mostly twisty roads so i would expect to get out of Paso at a decent hour (8am) with a food stop in Coalinga.

I would think if you headed down 25 from Hollister you would run into us.

R

Tom, not sure who died and made me El Jefe..............................
Ever since you brought home the Hondapotamus....you're "The Dad!"

Tom, I think that's the best plan....just head South from the Sac area, take 152 over Pacheco Pass and 25 South until we see a gaggle of FJRs coming the other way.

It's about 2 1/2 hours from Elk Grove to Hollister/Hwy 25.

Tom, not sure who died and made me El Jefe..............................
Ever since you brought home the Hondapotamus....you're "The Dad!"

Tom, I think that's the best plan....just head South from the Sac area, take 152 over Pacheco Pass and 25 South until we see a gaggle of FJRs coming the other way.

My thought was that it is only another 30 minutes to reach Coalinga by way of I-5 and a lunch-time rendezvous would not be out of the question with an 8:30 am start from our end (3-hours). If you want to leave later, that would put us in Hollister tracking south.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI guys, I see from Marks routes you are due to ride up to Carmel and head back thru Carmel Valley road on Thursday, be advised that there is something called the Amgen Tour of California that is going from Seaside (Monterey) to Paso Robles via Carmel Valley Rd/Interlaken Rd.......It just happens to be several hundred bicycles that are racing.......

HERE is a little linky that will make you day.....Hope they ain't all staying in Paso Thursday night as that will make dinner interesting.

R

Due to freekin weather out in the desert around barstow tommorow, 50mph+ sand blow'n zero visibilty windstorm.( duke don't like sand in his ears) We have cancelled paso robles & have changed our trip to leave thur and do a loop in sequia/kings canyon nat'l parks on saturday (anyone not going to N cal & want'a ride with us Sat we will be at motel 6 visalia friday night)

Unable to come up to N Cal as I have & a friend comin in to visit me fer the week on monday
Sorry to hear that Marcus...Karl and I were really looking forward to meeting Duke. Wise choice you made though.

Okay...so I'm finally here.

2400 miles or so. The 515 miles today seemed too easy.

178 ROCKED. 166 was really fun, too. I guess I'm a sweeper kinda guy. Posted 35mph is right in my wheelhouse. :D

Go Wheatie! Be sure to honk as you ride by Avila Beach. I'll be snoozing... :rolleyes:

My thought was that it is only another 30 minutes to reach Coalinga by way of I-5 and a lunch-time rendezvous would not be out of the question with an 8:30 am start from our end (3-hours). If you want to leave later, that would put us in Hollister tracking south.
That'll work. I sent you an email so we can take the conversation off-forum.

If anyone wants to join us they have the basic outline here and can send email or PM for details.

That'll work. I sent you an email so we can take the conversation off-forum.

If anyone wants to join us they have the basic outline here and can send email or PM for details.

Speaking of weather in California, it looks like we're going to finally see a break today -- much better weather on the way. It's cloudy in Auburn right now, but the sun is starting to peek through. Next Thursday, May 26, we'll be doing the loop of Tahoe, getting there from Auburn via the "back way". The following is relevant to our route, and while I do expect the roads to be clear 8 days from now, here's the web cam shot from the bottom of Sugar Bowl at 6,883 feet elevation (approximately a half mile from where we go by on Hwy 40, maybe only a hundred feet or so lower elevation than the deck with snow laden tables shown in this live cam shot):

Sugar Bowl webcam

The base elevation of Sugar Bowl ski resort is 6,883 feet, and its summit is 8,383 feet. Though they are closed for the season, as of 7 am this morning they're reporting 15 inches of new snow at the base and 24 inches at the summit from this storm. That gives them a total snowfall for the season of 518 inches at the base and 736 inches at the summit.

FYI guys, I see from Marks routes you are due to ride up to Carmel and head back thru Carmel Valley road on Thursday, be advised that there is something called the Amgen Tour of California that is going from Seaside (Monterey) to Paso Robles via Carmel Valley Rd/Interlaken Rd.......It just happens to be several hundred bicycles that are racing.......

HERE is a little linky that will make you day.....Hope they ain't all staying in Paso Thursday night as that will make dinner interesting.

R
Yes...and they WILL close the road to automobiles.

I mean...er...uhm...they closed I-80....

BTW, Richard, the newest plan is for Tom and I to try and meet the group in "Coaling Station A" around 1130.

Mike make sure you have your radio on, channel 15 or 22 on those little radios....

I assume you mean Coalinga......

R