Whelen Lin3 and 2014 fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis

Reaction score
I am planning ahead and see if a couple of Lin3's can be mounted onto either side of the license plate light (on those flat surfaces above the license plate bracket, part of the mud guard/ rear fender) on a 2013/2014 (assuming they have the same "back end"). How wide are they? My understanding buy looking at the website is that these assemblies (Lin3's) are 3.5in wide

YAMAHAFJR1300A-2958_20.jpg

Thanks

Luis

Luis, I have a Gen2 but I think the mud/guard on the Gen3 is very similar. The LIN 3 I have is 3 or 4 years old but

suspect it is the same size as mine. Part number is still the same. The LIN3 is to big to fit on the flat surface you are referring to.

With the rubber gasket the lin3 uses the keep out water it is close to 4'' over all. Besides the flat surfaces you mention actually

point a bit outward and up. I mounted hyperlites on those flat surfaces and a LIN3 just under the license plate lamp. That surface

is very flat and is angled straight toward the rear. Hopefully someone with a Gen3 with will pick up.

Wherever you put it, I'd want to be sure that the surface you want to mount on is angled at 90o from level. LEDs are directional, so you don't want them angled upwards. Too high, they'd be over approaching drivers' heads and give a lot less early warning of braking. The Whelens are bright enough that angled into the face of the driver behind you at a stop, they'd be pretty offensive as well. Maybe think about fabricating a bracket out of sheet metal to get the right angle.

I've got a Whelan mounted between the license plate light at the top of the plate on my Gen III.

It's not perfectly flat, but it's not a big deal as it isn't noticable, and, the Whelan is a sealed unit.

Crappy pic, but you can see it in this one.

kb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've mounted several Whelen LED Lights (as 3rd brake lights) on Gen 2's and I've always used the same location at Steve (Bungie). It is a perfect location as the plate light sticks out far enough to clear the Whelen, and the Whelen is square enough backwards to be effective.

Gotta get that trunk lid painted, Steve.
wink.png

But it's good to see a (n other) pillion that knows her job. Line is leaning into the corner more than you are!

What is the consensus, a more directional Tir3 or a less directional Lin3 as a third brake light?

What is the consensus, a more directional Tir3 or a less directional Lin3 as a third brake light?

I think that you have them bass ackwards. The LIN3 (what I've always used for 3rd brake lights) has a clear lens, The TIR3 has a fluted lens to disperse the light. I've always felt that for a brake light I am most concerned with the people directly behind, and gone for the most directional light for the greatest punch.

Couple it with an inexpensive 3rd Brake Light flasher module that will strobe the light 5 times fast before going solid and you've got a great 3rd brake light, IMO.

Mine is mounted below the license plate, and above the reflector. It can't be missed from behind.

Mine is mounted below the license plate, and above the reflector. It can't be missed from behind.
I've used the LIN3 in conjunction with the programmable 3rd brake light flasher on a few different bikes since 2009. Set to strobe 5-6 times and then go steady, it's a very effective combo.

I bought a used 2013 last Saturday (which already had Kisan Tailblazers installed) and picked the same spot below the plate/above the reflector for the LIN3. It angles up slightly, but hopefully not enough to significantly decrease the effectiveness of the lighthead. I'll try to check it at distance soon. If need be, I'll fabricate some sort of angled plate or move it up to just below the license light.