Where Does The Other .23 Quart Go?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FightOrFlight

Reaction score
Yesterday was maintenance day for me. New tires, oil change, final drive fluid change. This is my third oil change and it happened again yesterday - 4 quarts and I'm perfectly in between the dots on the sight glass. Bin O Facts says 4.23. Not that it's relevant, but Shell Rotella T Synthetic (per Jestal), Mobil 1 -110 cartridge. Should I add another quarter-quart or just let it go?

And now for the even more stupid question (yes, it's possible...I haven't had much coffee yet): Different oil accentuates vibration? No, no, not possible right? I was running Mobil 1 before. It's not the new PR2's because when I was on the highway at max vibe RPM (4k), I pulled the clutch and released the gas - smooth as silk. FWIW, the bike has had multiple TBS's including the Smitty patented TBS. I think it just is what it is. But it was an amusing thought to think the oil would somehow make the engine act/feel differently.

Sometimes I think it might just be the mood I'm in. Bad mood = more perceived vibration.

The extra 1/4 quart goes into the filter. Did you check it before or after starting?

The extra 1/4 quart goes into the filter. Did you check it before or after starting?

After. Then I rode 100 miles. This morning, it's exactly half way.
Huh, I put in the 4.25 and after starting it reads halfway. My guess is that the .25 quart doesn't make a significant difference in the line level. When are we going to get oil in liter bottles in the states?

After. Then I rode 100 miles. This morning, it's exactly half way.
Huh, I put in the 4.25 and after starting it reads halfway. My guess is that the .25 quart doesn't make a significant difference in the line level. When are we going to get oil in liter bottles in the states?
I'm pretty sure the jug I bought from Yamaha has the almost clear strip up one edge and is marked for litres and quarts. I keep it and dump quarts or from another jug into it for the total pour. It's an extra step but this way once I start filling up the crankcase I just keep going in one 4l pour.

I believe that extra .24 qt is actually the coating of oil that's left ont he internal parts of the engine after you drain the oil. When you pull the drain plug out, you drain about 90-95% of the engine oil. It's impossible to get the full 100% of the oil out without a full teardown and deep cleaning of the engine. It could also be in the difference between 1/2 way between the lines and the upper line.

Carry on, you got it where it needs to be now go out and ride B)

You're in between the lines, you're good.

I do add the 1/8 to 1/4 quart just to be anal and get it to the max line. I just changed my oil last W/E and did add 1/8 quart (that's all I had left in the jug), it's 3/4 to the max line. I'm good.

I use Rotella also, makes my bike go faster, get better mileage, and it stays cleaner longer... chicks dig it too. YMMV ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You're in between the lines, you're good.
I do add the 1/8 to 1/4 quart just to be anal and get it to the max line. I just changed my oil last W/E and did add 1/8 quart (that's all I had left in the jug), it's 3/4 to the max line. I'm good.

I use Rotella also, makes my bike go faster, get better mileage, and it stays cleaner longer... chicks dig it too. YMMV ;)
Are you saying chicks like that lubricant best?

'cuz that's important to me. :rolleyes:

I believe that extra .24 qt is actually the coating of oil that's left ont he internal parts of the engine after you drain the oil. When you pull the drain plug out, you drain about 90-95% of the engine oil. It's impossible to get the full 100% of the oil out without a full teardown and deep cleaning of the engine. It could also be in the difference between 1/2 way between the lines and the upper line.
Carry on, you got it where it needs to be now go out and ride B)

Now that makes sense to me, Silent. I'm going with that explanation.

I'm also operating under the idea that it is better to be a tiny bit under than over on oil level. I think I've heard that here and there over the years, but please correct if that is wrong.

Anywhere between the lines is good. I wouldn't pull the drain plug for a hair over the line, but I would for 1/2 a quart over the line.

I use the Shell Rotella 5W-40 synthetic for everything. It is an excellent lubricant where ever close tolerances and tight fits are required. A few ounces are kept under the bed just in case.

I'm just sayin'.

Never worried about the extra .23 quart; even with the filter volume, One Gallon puts me at the top line of the sight glass everytime.

When are we going to get oil in liter bottles in the states?
I've bought some Castrol at my favorite motorcycle shop and I've seen it at CycleGear - it comes in liter size instead of quart.

I used to put in the extra quarter quart; now just drain and refill with one gallon. And the quarter quart is mostly what it takes to fill the filter; actually there is approximately one full quart that is residual oil that doesn't drain when just pulling the oil plug.

It also depends on your draining ritual. Last oil change (just last week) I drained it on the center stand, then when it had slowed to a drip every 5-10 seconds I tipped the bike to the left onto the foot lever extension that sticks out the side of the center stand and a bunch more oil came out. You could also just drain it on the sidestand for the same effect.

When I filled it, it took the full gallon (RotellaT 15W40) and was dead-on center, in the middle of the sight glass. But then after starting it was near the low line so I added another 1/2 quart or so to get it into the upper 1/3.

As to smoothness, I've never noticed the engine running any smoother. But I notice an oil change in the feel of shifting. As the oil ages the shifting ever so slowly gets notchier. After a fresh load of the slippery stuff, she's back to snicking through gears as smooth as silk. :yahoo:

I was previously using the Rotella full synthetic, on the premise that I wouldn't have to change it as often (went almost 5k miles on last charge). I'm now going to go with the cheaper dino based Rotella and change it on 4k mile schedule, or sooner if the shifting feels notchy again.

Hey - good morning, Fred W! I hope you are doing well.

Thanks for the post. It's all making more sense to me now. Residual oil, tipping to get more out...it's an inexact science and I was taking the "4.23 quart" to literally.

As to the smoothness comment, I was really going in the opposite direction with it. Seems even more buzzy at 4k. But, then, I'm a broken record on that issue. It's a beautiful day here in St. Louis and I think I'll continue prepping for SFO. I'm going to take off the body panels and re-torque (and just examine) everything in the naive hope that I'll find a screw that says "buzz screw - turn left for more, right for less." Have a mini pump to disassemble and jam in the bike somewhere. Can you get an SAE connector at Wally Word?

New PR2s, fresh final drive fluid, fresh Rotella, new filter. Feels like I'm just about ready for a (rainy) SFO ride.