Where is the Gen 1 high beam relay?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I'd like for the low beams to stay ON when I activate the high beams.

Sounds like a big job to do it safely.

You risk melting your reflectors and you need to put in additional wiring so that the present lighting wire doesn't carry twice (near enough) the current it was designed to carry.

Not saying it can't be done, but it's not just a matter of putting in another relay or whatever.

Edit: Posted same time as Constant Mesh, same message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness that CM and mcatrophy have already responded to this first! I was going to tell RadioHowie that it is just a simple jumper to accomplish what he wants to do, but presage disaster to the buckets, bulb life and charging system.

So, RadioHowie, if you still want to try this ill advised setup PM me and I will tell you where to put one short 12ga jumper. Report back if the nose of your FJR starts to look like Salvador Dali artwork :eek:

Had an hour to kill this evening, so I went out to settle this once and for all.

Double checked the sevice manual, and my labelling agrees with the service manual. However, a check of actual function shows that indeed, my labelling is incorrect. (Visualize the Happy Days episode where Fonzie was trying to say he was wr--. Wro--. rrrrr.. Couldn't get the word 'wrong' out.)

By actual function and wiring color, they are (pic is clickable for slightly larger version, and labelled in yellow as requested by a chromatically challenged poster above):

The last three, on the right (rider's left) are actually all the same part number. The turn signal relay is unique, as is the headlight 2 relay.

There was also discussion about the fuel injection relay being moved to under the seat. I have a relay under the seat that clicks with the key, but it is not the fuel injection relay, it's the starter interlock relay. That's the one that makes sure the bike is either in neutral or that the clutch is pulled and the sidestand is up before the starter will engage. I'm not certain that previous posters aren't confusing that with the fuel injection relay, but I don't know for sure, not having a 2004 or -5 manual. It can be tested by turning the bike on in gear, on the centerstand with sidestand up, and pulling the clutch in and out. If that relay clicks with the clutch lever, then it's the starter interlock, not the fuel injection system relay.

I've posted the corrected pics in my cowl removal thread.

Geez Walter, ya wife not home or ya'll had a fight...
You da funny man, huh? :D

Nah, she worked today, and when she got home went to bed. Said she was tired.

When she's "tired" it's best to be quiet and leave her alone.... :( At least I know which relay is which.

Latest posts