White Mountains Retreat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

Just to let you know- yesterday (4/30)I did Kangamaugus east to west, Bear Notch Pass south to north and Hurricane Mtn west to east. They're all in fair shape give the long winter. They all still thrill when ridden in a spirited manner. Unfortunately Evans Notch Rd is closed. Sign said the bridge was out. Bummer. That is also a fun road.

Hope you guys enjoy your ride!

PS.. I did the Kangamaugus on my buddy's new C14. Shweet! It honks! My FJR feels 'old' now. But I still love it.

Russ

Thanks for the info Russ! Always nice to have good intel. Yeah, I love those smaller, less travelled roads. . . sure are fun. Too bad about Evan's Notch being closed. Oh well, saves a reason for a "next trip"!.

Will be passing your neck of the woods tomorrow on the way up to Seabrook for a day of fishing on Eastman's with the wife and kids.

Route 113 through Evans Notch will be closed starting Friday, Nov. 14, 2008 for a bridge replacement.

"Technical Construction of Turner, Maine will remove and replace the existing bridge. If the project proceeds as planned and there are no unexpected delays or problems, Maine Department of Transportation plans to reopen the bridge on April 1, 2009. Whether or not Route 113 opens at that time will depend upon the severity of the winter and how much snow remains at the beginning of April. The entire project is expected to be completed by June 21, 2009."

Route 113 through Evans Notch will be closed starting Friday, Nov. 14, 2008 for a bridge replacement.
"Technical Construction of Turner, Maine will remove and replace the existing bridge. If the project proceeds as planned and there are no unexpected delays or problems, Maine Department of Transportation plans to reopen the bridge on April 1, 2009. Whether or not Route 113 opens at that time will depend upon the severity of the winter and how much snow remains at the beginning of April. The entire project is expected to be completed by June 21, 2009."

Thanks....

Shameless bump and a call out to all those who PLAN on coming for a post-up so I can get an idea. So far, I can count the number of people going by dropping my drawers - "Look ma, no hands!"

Evan's notch bridge is open. Road paving remains on approaches but both lanes open.

Road was great. Very few "big" frost heaves. No traffic and the forest was in full color. Next time, I'll bring a fishing rod.

Will be finalizing plans with Sullivan shortly for this ride. Post up for any of those interested parties who will be trying to make this ride. Will post up final details and contact numbers before take-off for those who may be a last minute "go". Looking forward to some great roads, awesome scenery and good company. Come one, come all! All riders/bike types welcome!

Will be finalizing plans with Sullivan shortly for this ride. Post up for any of those interested parties who will be trying to make this ride. Will post up final details and contact numbers before take-off for those who may be a last minute "go". Looking forward to some great roads, awesome scenery and good company. Come one, come all! All riders/bike types welcome!
Just a reminder, I'm still a firm "maybe" for Sunday, so I will be watching your ride plans.

I definitely have at least 2 athletes going to the New England meet in Burlington, VT on Saturday, which will be an all day ordeal.

Guys, I've been traveling a ton on business of late, and this is a burden to my spouse, of course, but still lobbying to get the days to go along for this ride! She won't be joining, as she's working weekends. But fingers crossed that I'll make it along. I'd really enjoy it.

CJ, when are you heading up, and where would we rendezvous if going to Fryeburg together on Friday? I'd rather leave Friday if I get the pass to do so for the weekend. I'd be leaving from Salem, probably working at home that day, or leaving early, taking the day or afternoon off.

Barry

Last edited by a moderator:
Barry,

I have to work on friday and won't be getting off until around 3:30 p.m. or so. I was thinking of leaving early saturday morning, but if friday is best for you, we could meet up and ride north. Only thing to remember is that rush hour traffic on a friday heading north anywhere on I-93 or 495/95 SUCKS!

Now, if you are of the mind and you have the availability to leave sooner in the day, perhaps we could meet up and ride up the backroads so as not having to deal with the traffic. The other option is to meet up somewhere, stop and have dinner while traffic is thinning out, then slabbing it on the way up. Whichever works best for you. PM me if you want to discuss our options, I'll get back to you as to where we could meet, depending on how you want to go up.

I'm psyched you'll get to come along! Tell me about the wife thing, I totally had to weasel time to get to make this ride happen! But, hey, whatever it takes, right? ;)

Sull- how are things looking for you bud? Wanna meet up saturday morning or friday evening?

Guys, living near I93 I can vouch for the desire to avoid the northbound section on Friday afternoons from about 4PM till after 7. However, the congestion only goes about as far up as the Hooksett tolls. After Concord you're pretty much OK. I'd suggest mapping a route up the back roads to get you north of Manchester before you hit the slab. You'll make better time and arrive with lower BP.

Seeing that zip is coming from Salem, and CJ is out in Westminster you might just want to just pick a spot in NH for the rendezvous point and each take some back roads there.

Last edited by a moderator:
CJ,

I'd take rt 13 up to Goffstown to page corners to RT89 exit 1 to rt 93n. AND, you beat the state of NH out of the $1 toll. :yahoo:

CJ, we can have a little wager as to who will have the thinner tire at the end. Saw Shawn's tire picture on another site....down to the cords. I may just take the bike this week up to CharlieHoss's favorite place, Central Maine Powersports, if they have a good price on a skin........probably won't happen!

Call me a pussy, but you win. . . . getting a new rear before the trip..... I know I may still get a few hundred (maybe several) out of it if I baby it, but the damn thing is thin enough in the middle I can push it in pretty good with one finger along the midline. It also sucks in a reasonable corner, damn thing is almost square from my EOM/Carolinas trip last year. AND, now I'm back to taking my son along for the ride as his grandparents have changed their minds about going camping that weekend, so, for his sake, I'll wuss out ;)

Thanks for the tip, George, will look at it. It seems I never go up the same way twice! Part of the fun of just getting on the bike, and using dead reckoning I guess. Still waiting to hear back from Zip as to any specific details of meeting up. As for Sull, looks like we'll be meeting up Saturday morning and riding the day, no overnight for him.

Zip- I can stay the overnight saturday, just so you know, but I need to leave from wherever we end up in time to be home no later than 2, so thinking around lunch time heading south. When do you want to leave??? I won't be leaving Westminster until around 6, so let me know.

CJ, we can have a little wager as to who will have the thinner tire at the end. Saw Shawn's tire picture on another site....down to the cords. I may just take the bike this week up to CharlieHoss's favorite place, Central Maine Powersports, if they have a good price on a skin........probably won't happen!
I don't know if CM Powersports is my favorite place but they do have a lot of stuff and they seem to be good folks. And they're close by. Gypsy broke down on the way home from Axeman's house and had his bike towed to CMP. They checked out the batt and charging system and determined that both were fine, it was only a loose batt cable. They didn't charge him anything. Pretty good service! I've bought a lot more stuff from Whitehorse Gear in E Conway, NH, over the years.

Dan,

I think I'll try to make that NH trip, at least part of it. We'll prolly ride over and meet up with everyone somewhere along the way. I'll get in touch with you soon.

Charlie

For those folks who might be able to join in, the meeting place will be the Blueberry Muffin restaraunt in North Conway. I'll be meeting Dan there at 7, yes, that's a.m. :dribble: , saturday morning. I'm guessing that the posse will roll out NLT 0900.