Why Buy an FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew I wanted an adjustable windscreen, hard luggage, a shaft drive, and a bike at least as fast as the v65 I was coming from - in '06 that didn't leave a whole lot of options. :)

I'd like to hear some of the reasons for choosing an FJR. For me it was the culmination of 35 yrs of riding less versatile and inferior handling machinery. I can go most anywhere in comfort and at a speed and a margin of safety that I appreciate, with as little or as much baggage as needed. Any other Bike at that time would have been inferior for my needs, IMHO. Yes, BMW was an option. An overpriced and very expensive to maintain option. Again, MHO.

But over the years, as I've met other owners and perused this Forum, I've learned that not everyone had the same thought about their choice. I'm certainly happy that so many chose this Model. The numbers are impressive whenever I ride to the more popular mountainous areas. And unless I am badly mistaken, most owners are utilizing their Bikes as the daily commuter as well. One thing I've learned over the years; there is no substitute for miles. You've got to spend time on a Bike to get good on that Bike.

Now if a poll were started, would anyone own up to main reason being status? Or impressing your neighbors, or the guys in your little Bike Club? Or thinking this Bike will magically make you a better rider? There's no doubt that Harley sales are influenced by the first couple of reasons.

Just thought I'd put that out there!

[/quote

Saves me a ton of money from therapy. It is a do it all bike with a grin factor of 10.

Brand loyalty played a big part in my decision. I had gone with a couple of buddies to the AMA races at Fontana back in 02; my ride at the time was an older Radian (my first street bike). I sat on the Aprilia Futura (really liked the design, and it felt reasonably comfortable), and the Yamaha FJR (first year they were available here, I think they were still gauging interest?). Living in SoCal, and having to cover most of it (OC, LA, Ventura and Santa Barbara counties!), I knew I wanted a bike with hard bags, all day comfort, and good power for dealing with cagers! I payed my PDP back in March of 03, and took delivery of the 04 in August 03. I put almost 42K miles on that bike, and the only reason I went for the 08 was new bike lust (loved the black!). Last I knew, my old 04 went to Montana, where I presume it's still roaming the roads!

Back to the loyalty comment; all my "powersports" purchases have been Yamaha's. I grew up riding Hondas on the SoCal dunes (starting with the original ATC90!), but the Banshees were the kings, and I had to have one! That one has also gone away, but I do have a YFZ450 in my stable as well.

Had a FJ-1200 and knew if that was a great sport tourer before any one even had coined the phrase the FJR had to be great. I am not disappointed.

Living in one of the most boring parts of the country I wanted a bike that could travel long distances and then have great fun when I got to the twisties. The FJR suits the bill at a price that beats all the others.

Looks , performance , functionality, rock solid engineering , comfort , :dribble:

Faster than me :yahoo:

Because I could ,

The oppsition is either to expensive , dog ugly some of it GTR not on the market.

Started with the V-Star 650 as a beginner and quickly moved up to the V-Star 1100. I really enjoy the cruiser but wanted something a little quicker so I started looking at sport bikes, like the R1 and the Busa. Took a R6 and Blackbird for a test ride and though they had the speed, it didn't take long to realize that the riding position is different, which for long distance was not going to work. But I was reassigned to Germany. So I took the 1100 with me and while out enjoying the country, I saw a Yamaha dealership and decided to look around. That is when I first saw a 2005 FJR1300 (European Style) :dribble: . Needless to say, the research project began. So, the look of the FJR is the reason why I started looking at Sport Touring bikes and like a lot of the members here, price, gas mileage, maintenance, shaft drive, and the appearance of the bike with luggage on and off sealed the deal. Not to mention, Plenty Of Speed. All bikes has their plus and minus but the FJR easily had more plus than the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO...no other sport touring has these sexy lines...it just looks the best...hands down...and it just so happens it's a rocket ship, it handles, its affordable, its dependable and its a YAMAHA!

021.jpg

036.jpg

Same as Spook, I owned a FJ-1200 for 13 years before purchasing an FJR in march of 03. The only thing that failed on it in that time was an altinator. I expected the same from the FJR and in the last 6 years have recieved a great two up ride with minimal maintance, excellant sport touring capability not to mention an extensive knowlegde base on this forum. I'm not a gear head so this info has saved me big bucks. Brand loyalty was built on previous experience. Oh yea, forgot to mention the S/O left me in the dealership just a little too long one day... by the time she came back, the papers were already signed. :rolleyes: No regrets and I still see my old FJ putting on the miles locally. Chick magnet was not an issue and everyone's first quetion is wether it's a BMW. When I explain the price difference, reliabily the usual response is am I willing to part with it. Your regrets will be few if any.

Quite simply the BEST bang for the buck in a full fared S-T bike. I looked at BMW's at the time but the dealerships were dropping like flies, and at the time (2006), I couldn't justify the $8k delta for the GT and I didn't want an RT. (nothing wrong with them, I just prefer inline 4's and like POWER).

I had recently spent way too much time, energy and money trying to make my ZX11 comfortable for all day riding and was ready to move on. The ZX was wonderful in stock form but adding Givi's ruined it's handling and aero completely.. I could have spent $ on aftermarket suspension but it was time to move on.

There was no Concourse 14 at the time or I probably would have bought it instead coming from Kawi land. (just sayin). But I had jonesed after an FJR since 2003 and finally found the funds to make it happen. I didn't want an ST (mini-wing). I had ridden them and they just aren't for me.

I will own a wing someday, or dare I even say BMW LT when I get older and the wife wants to ride more... I just like em. But the FJR is without a doubt the best bike for the money. If money were no object I might choose something else. Actually if money were no object there's be several other bikes but I'd have to buy 2 or 3 to get the same amount of utility I get from the FJR.

Yeah, I still love this bike.

Simple.

After watching Jim Owen's R1100 tranny grenade 9 hours from what would have been an incredible finish in the 2005 Iron But Rally, I decided to order my FJR.

Not a hard decision. Never regretted it.

Here's my list:

1. Engine (overall power, broad torque curve, good top end). I love the roll-on power when passing! :specool:

2. Handling. The bike is nimble yet stable at high speed. Cornering is good.

3. Fuel capacity. It's great to stop when you want to, rather than be on the lookout every 80 miles or so. Additionally, most people get mileage in the range of 40 to 45 mpg, a few even higher. Max range could easily exceed 270 miles.

4. Shaft drive = no/low maintenance.

5. Color (love the light silver of the 2003). I'd like to see them mix things up a bit for 2010, as I think the factory has gotten a bit complacent.

6. Looks. I think the FJR has the best lines of any sport-tourer on the market.

7. Brakes. My 2003 has got some great stoppers; good power, good feel. I understand the '09 ABS is about as good as there is on the market.

8. Fuel injection. It works pretty well in my opinion.

9. Lights. I like the dual lights up front for increased visibility, plus they have good range. And the rear lighting is large enough for most people to see...increasing safety. (Loud lights save lives :D ).

10. Dash. The 2003 has good instrumentation for an '03 model; it's even better now.

11. Bags are good, and the bike doesn't look too bad with them off, either. I use the Yamaha trunk and like it.

12. The engine. It's a blast!

13. Price. It's tough to beat the value of the FJR compared to the other offerings in the market. you get a whole lotta bang for the buck!

14. Suspension. It's pretty good in stock form and the adjustability isn't too bad, either.

15. Handles pretty well in cross winds.

16. Wind protection isn't the best on the planet, but it's not the worst either. I use a Yamaha touring w/s with Skyway spacers and like it. And I actually like that the w/s retracts when shut-off.

17. Serviceability. No valve adjustment until 26k, relatively easy oil changes and other DIY stuff.

18. The engine...best feature on the bike!

19. Dealer network (OK, not all are good, but some are and there's lots of choices and good availability when you're traveling).

20. Seat (it's not ideal, but is better than most stock units...I still use mine).

21. Center stand.

22. Weight. OK, it could be lighter, but it's not bad considering the competition.

23. Comes with a pretty knowledgeable and loyal following.

24. Engine. Did I tell you it's a bomb to ride? Power everywhere. Roll-ons are great. A world-class Sport-Tourer!

25. The dang thing is a thrill to ride. I've had only one problem: I get a mile or more away from home and can't get the thing turned around! ;)

A few pans:

1. Gen I's have the dreaded heat problem.

2. Tickers. Mine isn't one of them :thumbsup: .

3. Availability. Not much choice on color. The deposit program wasn't very attractive, either. But it's better than it used to be.

4. I'd like a factory option for cruise control.

I'm sold. ;) YMMV.

The first time I saw an FJR was in a motorcycle magazine around 2004. I fell in love with it immediately and knew that was the bike I wanted. Unfortunately, a new FJR was out of my price range. So I had to try to forget about it. But I didn't.

Then, about two years ago, I was looking around on E-Bay and saw a beautiful 2004 Cerulean Silver FJR for sale in Pensacola, FL. I bid on the bike and "won" it.

I bought the bike without seeing it personally (though a friend of mine who lives close to Pensacola did look at it for me) and without riding it first.

It was a decision I've never regreted. That FJR is one of the most exciting bikes I've ever owned. Fast, powerful, beautiful and handles great.

And "chick magnet"? Well, no. But it probably would be if there wasn't this ugly old fart sitting on top of it.

The first bike I ever bought on my own was a Honda CBR750. That sport-bike was great. I eventually began riding cruisers for the distance comfort and ended up with a VTX1800 that had awesome power. I rode the crap out of that bike, but knew I needed something different because I was always dragging the boards through corners.

Because of my work, I had the opportunities to ride the BMW R1200RTs and the Honda ST1300. I just happened to run into an FJR while walking through a dealership one day. About that time, the K1400s came out and I started seriously considering which bike I wanted to buy. I was still unsure about moving to an ST until the night I got home from a trip on my VTX and my friend showed up at my house with a brand-new Triumph Sprint ST1050. I rode that bike and my lust for a sport tourer was out of control.

I did a LOT of research, and every time I ran the pros and cons, the FJR seemed to have more pros and less cons than any of them. I liked the Honda, but it just didn't do for me what the Sprint had done. I also liked the BMW, but I disliked the brakes, and the cost, and wanted a different feel in my bike. I went away from the K1400 because it was first year production and its cons were still greater than what I came up with in the FJR. When I bought my FJR I fell in love with it immediatly and have not been sorry once that I bought it. For me, it is the perfect combination between the sportbike I loved and the criuser I needed. It has been flawless and just amazes me sometimes.

I will make it simple ... the BEST reason to purchase a FJR is becasue YOU HAVE NEVER RIDDEN A BMW 1300 GT!!!!

Best Regards,

Shane

Yamafucked

It does the job I have for it the best. Capable at everything I need it to be capable at. Best combination of relatively minor compromises.

Lets see , why i bought my FJR HMMMMM!

I have owned alot of bikes (i get bored with them) but my first sport tourer was an 86 Concours & liked it (but had a little black box ignition trouble) Then went to a Yamaha Roadstar & put many happy miles on it (but) missed the sport part of touring . So with out thinking i bought an 05 Concours (the gold one) & at first it was great , but then the repair troubles began & it spent more time in the shop than on the road. So thinking how good the Roadstar was , i tradded the Connie in on a left over 04 Roadstar. Well rode that for awhile , but that sport itch still was in the back of my mind. Well went to a Concours owners group ride (yup with the Roadstar) & after slamming the bike (dump truck) into corners , i knew i needed a sport tourer. So while at one of our stops (pee break) i went & looked & talked to the owners of the bikes & really like the FJR. So while looking thru the paper i saw an 07 f/s & went & looked at it & had to have it (so good by Roadstar & hello FJR) & just love riding the bike any chance time has allowed. (besides i met some great FJR owners)

I will make it simple ... the BEST reason to purchase a FJR is becasue YOU HAVE NEVER RIDDEN A BMW 1300 GT!!!!
Best Regards,

Shane

Yamafucked
You could buy 2 for the price of the BMW1300 GT! Even if one was a "lemon" <_< you could still ride the backup Feeej.

Just sayin.

Here's my list:1. Engine (overall power, broad torque curve, good top end). I love the roll-on power when passing! :specool:

2. Handling. The bike is nimble yet stable at high speed. Cornering is good.

3. Fuel capacity. It's great to stop when you want to, rather than be on the lookout every 80 miles or so. Additionally, most people get mileage in the range of 40 to 45 mpg, a few even higher. Max range could easily exceed 270 miles.

4. Shaft drive = no/low maintenance.

5. Color (love the light silver of the 2003). I'd like to see them mix things up a bit for 2010, as I think the factory has gotten a bit complacent.

6. Looks. I think the FJR has the best lines of any sport-tourer on the market.

7. Brakes. My 2003 has got some great stoppers; good power, good feel. I understand the '09 ABS is about as good as there is on the market.

8. Fuel injection. It works pretty well in my opinion.

9. Lights. I like the dual lights up front for increased visibility, plus they have good range. And the rear lighting is large enough for most people to see...increasing safety. (Loud lights save lives :D ).

10. Dash. The 2003 has good instrumentation for an '03 model; it's even better now.

11. Bags are good, and the bike doesn't look too bad with them off, either. I use the Yamaha trunk and like it.

12. The engine. It's a blast!

13. Price. It's tough to beat the value of the FJR compared to the other offerings in the market. you get a whole lotta bang for the buck!

14. Suspension. It's pretty good in stock form and the adjustability isn't too bad, either.

15. Handles pretty well in cross winds.

16. Wind protection isn't the best on the planet, but it's not the worst either. I use a Yamaha touring w/s with Skyway spacers and like it. And I actually like that the w/s retracts when shut-off.

17. Serviceability. No valve adjustment until 26k, relatively easy oil changes and other DIY stuff.

18. The engine...best feature on the bike!

19. Dealer network (OK, not all are good, but some are and there's lots of choices and good availability when you're traveling).

20. Seat (it's not ideal, but is better than most stock units...I still use mine).

21. Center stand.

22. Weight. OK, it could be lighter, but it's not bad considering the competition.

23. Comes with a pretty knowledgeable and loyal following.

24. Engine. Did I tell you it's a bomb to ride? Power everywhere. Roll-ons are great. A world-class Sport-Tourer!

25. The dang thing is a thrill to ride. I've had only one problem: I get a mile or more away from home and can't get the thing turned around! ;)

A few pans:

1. Gen I's have the dreaded heat problem.

2. Tickers. Mine isn't one of them :thumbsup: .

3. Availability. Not much choice on color. The deposit program wasn't very attractive, either. But it's better than it used to be.

4. I'd like a factory option for cruise control.

I'm sold. ;) YMMV.
Yeah..... everything He said.... :yahoo:

Thanks for typing that up for me, my sentiments exactly.... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Best Regards,

Shane

Yamafucked
The best thing BMW did was copy the FJR platform (there brick engine was just that) oh an add much more money & very little dealers (sure thats a great reason) :rolleyes: