Widening stock bars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And far easier than finding an aluminum welder and hoping for a strong caste with enough meat to weld.

If I went with a welder, I'd look into some kind of press-fit internal tube/sleeve so that I had some additional support besides a butt weld.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode 350 miles on Sunday and by the end of the day I realized that my wrists were kinked from the bars being angled in too tight.

I would like another inch (who wouldn't?) of spread to angle the bars a little wider.

Calientee_FJR1300.jpg

I have a helibridge now that came with the bike, but it doesn't allow for any angular adjustment. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with a round handlebar adapter, and then I can swap bars to my heart's content.

I've used a Renthal medium bend bar on 3 other bikes (ZRX twice and a Bandit 1200) that I like real well, but I'm not sure it reaches back far enough for the FJR.

e06010241.jpg

I'm about to buy this handlebar anyway for an FZ1 I'm working on so I'll mock it up a bit on the FJR and see how it sits. If it's close, rotating risers will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah! I forgot all about this thread.
I wound up widening the bars 2" (50mm) on each side for a total of four inches (100mm) overall.
The difference is not huge or anything surprising, but it very definitely makes the bike much handier at any speed below 50mph (80kmh).
All I did was section off two pieces of ordinary steel handlebar, cutting with a pipe cutter to ensure square ends (my chop box wasn't available).
I beveled the end that mates to the stock bar, installed the Oxfords and controls in the new location, drilling new locating pin holes two inches further out, and then clamped them on with the longer bar-end screws.
They've been in place for a good four years or more and easily 35,000 miles (56km). No issues whatsoever, not looseness, uneveness, nothing.
The extra leverage in real life is a pleasure in traffic and in driveway and parking situations.
I can't detect any negatives out on the open road, although I suppose it may cut an mph or two off top speed should I ever attempt that.
Easy to do, barely an hour, and a big help for managing the bike.

Attachments

• FJR bar extend.jpg
    FJR bar extend.jpg
    722.6 KB · Views: 1