Wilbers shock remote preload bracket from Gen I to Gen II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicycle52

Reaction score
I recently transferred a Wilbers 640 shock with remote preload from my Gen I model to a Gen II. I used the remote preload bracket that attaches to the muffler bracket/ rear peg carrier. The bracket worked nicely on the Gen I model but on the Gen II model it locates the remote behind the saddlebag. Is there a better bracket from Wilbers meant for an Gen II? Pictures would be helpful.

Also, has anyone attempted to reduce the factory preload on a Wilbers shock. I would like to "loosen" the factory preload a little bit for when I ride without the bags. At the "loosest setting" on my remote preload, it is too stiff when I lighten the bike up by 25 pounds when I remove the bags. I'm guessing I can loosen the spanner nut at the top of the shock but I'm not sure if I have to remove the shock from the bike so that I can rotate the top of the shock a few revolutions before retightening the spanner nut.

Shocking answers wanted

When I transferred my Wilbers to my GEN2 I turned the remote preload towards the front so I could access it with the saddle bag in place. Probably not worth the effort, its not that big of effort to remove the saddlebag to change the preload.

You can change the base preload by rotating the top of the shock assembly but you will have to remove the shock to do it. However, changing the base preload probably will not have any effect on the stiff ride since changing preload does not make a spring more or less stiff because the spring's total compression will be the same after weight is added. You will still be riding on the same portion of the spring. I have exactly the same situation you describe with my Wilber's shock and 800 lb spring, the spring is a bit stiff with the bags off, just right when the bags are on and loaded. The only way to have a softer ride with less weight is to install a lighter spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what rider weight the stock blue spring (59/59-100-150) is made for? I just purchased a used Wilber and it has the red (#600.225.0650) installed. The seller indicated that he had the unit set up for a 210 # solo rider. I am 185 and will be doing solo riding. I am thinking that the red spring is too much.

Also, how does one set the base preload? Is it just a guess?

Slardy