Wind Protection and Riding Posture

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill I would suggest that you start a new thread with a link pointing to this thread stating your location and wish to swap bikes with a fellow member for a short test drive.....

Maybe a title like - "location" help me test drive an FJR

Lets switch bikes for a few miles and help rid me of this Money Pit BMW, and make me want to buy an FJR
smile.png

OR

accf2c34-e464-4304-9f3e-01834b7a8c14.png

Or something like that.... hahahaha

Good luck on your hunt my good man....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm more comfortable with MV Risers (Heli Bridge is another option). I found the slight forward lean with the stock setup more tiring while sitting behind my Cee Bailey 4x2 flip shield with no wind to help support the weight on my hands.

A good test of 'element protection' I've found is how long you can ride in the rain without rain gear and not be soaked. With the CB shield, I've made the 30 min. commute to/from work in steady rain dressed in jeans and a non-waterproof jacket and got damp in a few places but not soaked. The aerodynamics of the FJR fairing seem pretty well thought out (stock windshield not withstanding), protective while not being overly large.

I find a slight forward lean necessary to feel comfortably in control at higher speed on a twisty road. Sitting bolt upright on like a dirt bike just feels wrong to me unless I am riding a dirt bike. Everyone is different and it depends on what you are used to. I find it interesting that almost all the magazine reviews say the FJR has a comfortable upright riding position. Its probably because those guys ride a lot of sport bikes. I sold an FJR that was getting to uncomfortable for me by the third day of a trip and bought my FJR. It feels extremely roomy and comfy to me. I have already ridden it all day with no aches and pains at all. I am 6 feet tall with long legs and normal length arms for my size. My opinion is that this bike can be quite comfortable without modification unless a person has a really short torso or short arms. Just because a bike feels different that what you are used to, doesn't mean it is bad. Sometimes a bike feels comfortable when you first get on it and 500 miles later you are begging for relief. Other times a bike feels a bit strange at first and 500 miles later feels like a pair of well worn slippers.

I have had ridden the R1200RT for over 500 miles, both my sister and he husband own one, properly set up I prefer the FJR 1300 against all other bikes other than the K1600 GTL Exclusive. The FJR 1300 is better in all categories when set up properly and surprisingly for me a lot less vibration than the R1200 RT, maintenance costs are much less and the FJR uses regular gas.

I put 12K miles on an '04 RT I had, and 32k miles on an '08 FJR I had. And currently have 4k miles on my '14 BMW GSW. That pretty much covers your field.

My '14 GSW is miles better than my '04 RT. The engine changes are significant: smoother, more power, slipper clutch, wet clutch, no more seals around a dry clutch and separate transmission. The GS also has many modern technology stuff that the '04 didn't have, but the new RT and FJR are comparable in that area. You would have to go to the '15 RT to get the W engine (water cooled & wet clutch).

The RT indeed has better wind protection than the FJR, but I liked the FJR just the way it was so I didn't modify it. I also preferred the riding position of the FJR so I didn't modify that except to add a Corbin seat, which worked great for me. I never had any reliability issues with the RT or the FJR. The new GSW had a leaking seal on the water pump at 600 miles, that was replaced under warranty - a disappointment for sure since that is unheard of now a days. The BMW comes with a 3 yr warranty and I purchased an additional 3 yrs. The FJR comes with a 1 yr warranty and I did not buy an extended warranty for it, and I did not need one.

The FJR engine is pure magic, any BMW twin will seem just adequate in comparison when it comes to performance. And yet, even at that, my GS performance does NOT leave me wanting.

Both bikes you are considering are great bikes, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Let me know if you have a specific question I can elaborate on.

I guess everyone likes something different.

I have always felt that the slight forward lean was more comfortable than the bolt upright riding position.

I've had some back issues over the years and I can remember days when riding a bike with a slight forward lean was much more comfortable than driving my full size pickup.

I've been tempted by some adventure-tourers lately but one thing that worries me about them is their upright riding position.It may be great for dirt and gravel but I wonder if It wouldn't wear me out on long highway jaunts.

On that motorcycle ergo sight, remember to add an inch to the seat height on the FJR if you ride with the seat in the upper position.

The adjustable bars on the FJR also help fine tuning that forward lean,

Hello,

Others have commented on this, and I wanted to add my experience. I have a 2014 FJR 1300-ES, with stock seat and bars, and an MRA X-Creen. I have been practicing "Master Yoda" position, and I find it is not only more comfortable, but actually invigorating to ride.

Dick Frantz (member here) has suggested :

1. Bend at the hips, not at the waist.
2. Maintain a slight arch to the back, not allowing it to curve.
3. Move the butt aft so the weight is over your feet.
4. Using your thigh muscles to support your weight.

Now, for those testosterone-laden, real bikers, Yoga may not be your "cup of tea" (or stein of beer ;-) - BUT, I have found that a combination of some Hatha Yoga postures (Asanas) is very helpful. My daily routine is this sequence: 1.) Mountain, 2.) Volcano, 3.) Forward Fold (held 60 seconds in down position.), followed by (this is critical for riding), - this sequence is done 3 times, followed by Chair (modified with a crouch bending knees - the Chair part is done 10 times...

I have been doing this sequence for awhile, and the slight forward lean is much more comfortable - I did 200 mile ride week before last - and felt better AFTER the ride. Another thing I have done is to rise straight up off the saddle - just a bit - to take pressure off the rear end... about once every couple miles.

Hope this helps...

--John

I'm in Cartersville GA and will trade a ride on my 13 FJR for one on your RT. If you like it I would even sell it. It has 900 miles on it and a tall Vstream shield.

I'm about to retire my trusty 2004 BMW RT for a newer BMW RT. But I'm fascinated by the FJR (for reliability, superior warranty, and shop availability). I know it won't be all that the RT's are, but I'm curious as to how much less wind protection there really is. I ride year round, many many days in the upper 20's or 30's, and this is important to me. I also prefer a more upright riding stance. I cannot abide by being bent over like I was on a Ninja. Is this easily corrected with bar backs on an FJR, or are those simply a band aid on a bike that requires a notable forward lean? All in all, I'm trying to figure out whether giving up some refinement in exchange for japanese reliabilty and a nationwide dealer network is doable. Thanks in advance.
If you want the better bike for wind protection, the RT is your choice. Now- I'm not sure the BMW concerns pan out as you state (BMW=less reliable, less warranty and less dealers). I would not compare the two bikes on these attributes - they should be considered equals. But, other attributes can be important. You mentioned wind protection. You also prefer an upright riding stance. These things are 'better' on the RT.

I would look at the new RT if I were you. That is a great bike.

Scott

Well said, zen. My RT has cost an average of $900 per year over the last three years in maintenance/repairs, not including routine things like oil/valve adjustment/tires. To be fair to the bike, I'm a high mileage rider, and the bike is a decade old as of this writing. Both great bikes. I'll certainly enjoy whichever I end up with.

Well said, zen. My RT has cost an average of $900 per year over the last three years in maintenance/repairs, not including routine things like oil/valve adjustment/tires. To be fair to the bike, I'm a high mileage rider, and the bike is a decade old as of this writing. Both great bikes. I'll certainly enjoy whichever I end up with.
Bill,

I own a 2014 FJRES.

I have some limited mileage riding experience on a 2012 R1200RT

By way of direct comparison (switching back and forth between bikes on the same 1100 mile weekend), I can surmise the following:

1. The FJR is a sport bike which has been purpose built for long distance rides. It's a sport bike.

2. The RT is a touring bike which thanks to teralever front suspension, a great transmission, lighter weight and "german engineering" can be ridden aggressively. But it's a touring bike.

3. The FJR will be "wider", your hips wider open and your knees at a more acute angle.

4. The RT will be "unflappable" whereas the FJR is "snappy" in terms of performance.

5. The rider will make ALL the difference when it comes to who can outrun who on a twisty back country road.

6. The fairing on the RT is huge, the FJR is medium, both protect the legs and lower torso the same.

7. Both have adjustable windshields which lack something in their stock form. Then again, it's a motorcycle, and when you're going 85-100 mph, you're gonna feel the breeze.

All in all, if you want a touring bike which will be unflappable when ridden aggressively, get the RT. If you want a sport bike which can do 1000 miles in a weekend, get the FJR.

". The FJR is a sport bike which has been purpose built for long distance rides. It's a sport bike."

Have you ridden a sport bike? Just asking what your frame of reference is because I would not call my FJR a sport bike. It steers too slow and is WAY to heavy for that. It is a fast touring bike.

I'm looking for a 2013 in the area. There's a horde of red 14's in showrooms, but 13's are scarce. I think with bars and shield, it will be a decent fit.

I think before folk describe the FJR as a "sports bike", they really need to ride a Yamaha R1 100 miles through the mountains in south western Arkansas (or any other twisties of your choice).

You will ache for a week, but the "grin" will make you want to do it again, and again, and ... well you get the drift.

Trying to compare the RT with either the ST1300 or the FJR is an exercise in futility because, in the end, the only comparison that really matters is a test ride. All three are excellent, all are different. As an LD rider I would be able to make any of them a very comfortable place to sit for the next 1500 miles but we each have our unique requirements.

Here is my ultimate test ....

If I were in New York and had to get to Los Angeles, and was told I had gas money and a small amount for the odd burger and cup of coffee, and those three bikes were lined up, which would I choose.

I would rule out the BMW because, comfortable and well-equipped as it is, I simply wouldn't be confident that it would get me there. Most times it would, but occasionally a UJ, or electrical gremlin will halt all progress. For reliability it comes down to the other two. Both are legendary in that respect. For sheer competence, neither can be faulted.

The ST is better equipped but it's a Honda, which means it can lack that indefinable feature we like to call "character", something the FJR has in abundance. It is, however, better equipped than the FJR (or at least the earlier variants were).

It's a tough call. My choice was determined simply by a bike being offered at a price I couldn't say no to. I've frequently found myself on bikes that were simply "there at the time". That certainly applied to the FJ1200A, although when I had a Honda VFR750, I hunted it down :)

The FJR/RT/ST debate is almost the definition of NEPRT,

It is Never-Ending because there isn't an answer, Pointless because the choice is unique to each of us, and Repeating because the debate is so much fun :D

Just like riding any of those bikes!

Twigg makes great points. If you are leaning toward a new RT you may want to determine if BMW has effectively over come the legendary final drive failure on the RT's with no vent tower or fill/drain plugs. German engineering??

I'm looking for a 2013 in the area. There's a horde of red 14's in showrooms, but 13's are scarce. I think with bars and shield, it will be a decent fit.
The cruise control on the '13 FJR can't be set higher than 80 mph, they upped that limit on the '14.

Barring unforeseen circumstances, taking delivery of a 2014 FJR1300A tomorrow. Thanks for the tips guys.

It's almost 10am, wrists still throbbing from 5am commute. Helibars ordered. All else is most excellent.

Latest posts