Wind Protection and Riding Posture

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the FJR works out for you.

You are almost doomed to purchase:

1. Bar Risers

2. Custom Seat

3. Crash Protection

4. Right Angle Valve Stems

In order to get the handling right you will probably need to disregard the owner's manual's recommendations for front tire air pressures. I run 41psi but YMMV. It has been beaten to death here but a switch to a different front tire also seems to help things. PLEASE don't start a thread asking about tires!

Good luck, I hope you like the FJR.

You do not need right angle valve stems. Get an air gauge with 90 degree pitch and life will be OK.
That sounds great. As long as you never need to check the air pressure with any other gauge. As long as you never need to add air with any other compressor. As long as we live in a perfect world.

For those of us who have had the privilege of checking air pressure on the front of a modern BMW R1200RT, doing so on an FJR or an ST1300 is a frustrating exercise.

For me, the $30 you spend on the very high quality lifetime Ariette right angle valve stems is a wonderful investment. Add in the bling factor and it becomes a no brainer.

It will be the one good thing about my next set of tires. I check air every day. It's just something I have to do. And it was easy on the krautmobile. I do like the look of the FJR's wheels though.

OK, I will grant you ease of checking the front tire will be more friendly with the 90 degree stem if and when you do not carry a 90 degree angle gauge or the air source has a chuck that will not marry with the straight up stem.

Have any of you who have the 90's placed the stem facing either forward or backward. I think that would lessen the danger of it getting caught in debris. I've got a set of them but the dealer would not install them claiming they may become loose and cause a tire failure. Not sure if that is a shop policy or something from Yamaha.

OK, I will grant you ease of checking the front tire will be more friendly with the 90 degree stem if and when you do not carry a 90 degree angle gauge or the air source has a chuck that will not marry with the straight up stem.
Have any of you who have the 90's placed the stem facing either forward or backward. I think that would lessen the danger of it getting caught in debris. I've got a set of them but the dealer would not install them claiming they may become loose and cause a tire failure. Not sure if that is a shop policy or something from Yamaha.
I can tell you that after 125k miles of riding, the 90 degree stems have not caused any issue. They have, however, made checking and maintaining air in the tires a helluva lot easier.

Don't let a dealer install them...install them yourselves.

Been using 90 degree stems as long as Wheaton and haven't had any issues either. Makes checking [front] tire pressure a pleasure verses threading the needle and ending up with brake dust all over your hands.

Only watch out(s) for installation is insuring the valve stem hole is clean w/o rough edges and getting the gasket installed. Easy as 1-2-3!

--G

Latest posts