Windshield Auto-retract Again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilveradoSlick

Reaction score
I've got an '05 and can't figure out how to disable the auto-retract "feature". Couldn't figure it out from the pictures on FJRTech. Couldn't find anything that helped searching FJROwners or SleazyBoard. Anybody have pictures or can you describe the connector and the the wires leading into it? TIA

Go to : www.fjr1300.info, Then go to How-to, scroll down, TaDaaa!

Holler if you need more help!

BTW My 03 is at Sunnyside, Valve inspection, AND the auto retract quit working. Mines in to get the auto-retract to work! LOL! Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Under panel C, there will be a 2 wire white nylon connector, mine was tie-wrapped to a large wire bundle there. Simply disconnect. It may be tucked behind the cluster, or tie-wrapped to the heavy brace running side to side there.

My '05 ABS did not look at all like the pictures/information shown in the previous posts. If you find the same thing, then you need to remove your windshield, then remove the little plastic panel on the fairing. Look inside the hole. You will see the windshield drive mechanism and a bunch of wires/connectors towards the right side of the bike. The one you want is a white connector with one black wire about 4 inches long that ccmes out of the connector, then goes back into the same connector without going anywhere else. Detach this connector with the 4" looped black wire and save it in case you want the function again.

It is difficult to get at, but not impossible. It might help to remove the C and D panels to help move around some of the wires and provide more light. (I removed them.) I was able to de-mate the connector with a screwdriver and a small set of needle nose vicegrips.

I didn't take pictures.

Its exactly where the article says it is. It is in a bundle and it is difficult to get to. I used a long pair of needle nose to reach in. IIRC, there are 3 white nylon connectors in that bundle of wire. I think I took the wire tie off the metal cross piece under the instrument cluster so I could rotate the ball of wires. The connector you need to remove is the one with a "loop" for black wire about 3" long. Once you find it, you'll kick yourself. I think it took me about 1/2 hour on the '04, about 10 minutes on the '05, but I knew what I was looking for the second time. Try shining your trouble/flash light from under where the mirror bolst on toward the underside of the intrument cluster. You'll see it in there, but you'll have to move the "nest" of wire around.

If you absolutely can't find it, let me know and we can arrange a trip up the hill and I'll show you where it is and pull it for you.

Charles, if you're going to join us on the 25th, maybe we can find some time after the ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the bike running, if you remove the access cover at the bottom of the windshield (front of fairing) and look down and to the left through the left slot (facing the bike) you will see the black jumper loop ( a light will help). You can fish it up with a hook slip your finger through the loop and push the release with a screw driver. Voila! The offending bit will be on your finger and the auto retract disabled. Since this must be done while the engine is running, have everything you'll need ready before you start. There is enough slack to pull the wires foreward and up although I couldn't even find them from the rear! The whole process takes about five minutes if you are quick.

Good luck.

Van

With the bike running, if you remove the access cover at the bottom of the windshield (front of fairing) and look down and to the left through the left slot (facing the bike) you will see the black jumper loop ( a light will help). You can fish it up with a hook slip your finger through the loop and push the release with a screw driver. Voila! The offending bit will be on your finger and the auto retract disabled. Since this must be done while the engine is running, have everything you'll need ready before you start. There is enough slack to pull the wires foreward and up although I couldn't even find them from the rear! The whole process takes about five minutes if you are quick.Good luck.

Van
do you need the engine running,or could you just turn the key on and move the windscreen up out of the way. Great idea saves a lot of time and work!!!!

Last edited:
Rusty

Ignition on will do or if your concerned about timing the procedure just remove the sheild. Some folks have had issues with the the shield screws though.

Van

Hit the engine kill switch (that orange thing on the right bar ctrl assembly) before turning the key on, and the fuel pump etc will not fire up.

My retract is still retracting. Do you have to be carefull disconnecting that thing? It that how guys have fried their instrument panel? Leaving the shield UP, or does it melt the dash regardless of shield postion, but depedant on sun, moon and star alignment?

Just to further reiterate, the tech instructions are correct, and the 2 wire connector (whatever) is in there. I had mine disconnected for a day or two about 100 years ago. That was back when I was playing around with splicing in the power or adding in the barrier strip power distribution center.