Windsong of the West

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think tomorrow is going to be a sleep in day.... See if that can help me get over the 4 o'clock sludge I seem to get.

On a recent 10 day, 5,000 mile ride out West with no rest days built in, my buddies and I found that the new Mountain Dew Kickstart (12 oz size is fine and they come in multiple flavors) and a banana at our break stops seemed to give us the necessary lift without the energy drink jitters. Two hours of alertness and bliss afterwards, just long enough to get you to the next stop, or in for the evening.

20160617_144904.jpg

BTW - I am truly loving the report! I'm still amazed at how you have been able to chronicle the days events each evening. Uploading the pictures and getting them edited is very time consuming. Then to lay them down with the dialogue when worn out from the days travels, that is quite a feat!

Enjoy the remainder of the ride, you still have many, many miles and smiles ahead. Also, enjoy the beer(s) you have coming at NAFO, courtesy of facilitators from whom I have requested their assistance! (Calling Uncle Hud and stose85, and anyone else who would like to assist with my prior request
grin.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am actually starting to get aggravated with you for not riding farther and posting more pics each day. Just when I am fully immersed in the story for the day, you shut down and call it a day. You act like this is All About YOU!
rolleyes.gif

Seriously, I am awed by the fact that after covering that much territory each day you have the energy to post pics and write such an interesting story. You are awesome. Be careful, stay safe, keep riding so you can keep writing. Please.

Nicely done Julie. Enjoying following along on the adventure as you meet some of the great forum folks in your travels.

Ride safely, looking forward to the next installment!

--G

Today.

Another morning.

Another day.

Another evening.

This morning I set an alarm for an "absolutely must be up and moving by this time".... of course, I was up before that time. But I did wake up feeling better. Lounged around a bit, and then packed the bike and hit the road.

And also- a huge thanks to Randy for letting me borrow his cooling vest. I had it sitting in the sink in an ice bath for the morning. It did a fabulous job all day today!

C9913DA2-18B4-489E-A2D2-57CB35FFBB68_zpspwgkoxak.jpg

Today's ride was on 1 road. Luckily it wasn't too straight. Or too flat.

I only had to get on I-80, and head east for 420 miles.

S10C0009_zpshyarjcd5.jpg

I was stopping at a gas station every 140 miles or so... and then stopping at a rest area in between the gas stops. Staying hydrated- both inside and outside.

I'm 9 days and 4,500 miles into this trip... I've also lost my riding partner.... and today was just a travel day..... and it was hot. So I just needed to stay focused and enjoy the ride.

For rest stops, I need a shade tree!! Come to find out... those are few and far between in Nevada! lol.

DSCN0398_zpsle72nyr5.jpg

Interstate.... hills..... curves....

S10C0076_zpsuefqdqsp.jpg

Nevada surprised me by how different the terrain was. I was expecting flat.... It was not. Kept me occupied to be watching the surroundings and see what's around the next curve, or over the next hill.

S10C0127_zpsgztoijlb.jpg

The next rest area.... no trees!!! Luckily it did have a covered picnic table. And LUCKILY the shade angled towards the parking area. Park the bike, strip the suit, open the snack trunk, and grab something to eat. A nice breeze was blowing over the hill, too.

9743E81E-8141-40CA-AF38-4C5D35C92244_zpsnufjqcdm.jpg

Finally, I crested the hill to drop into Utah. And with that, brings the Salt Flats.

S10C0175_zpse1cxoahp.jpg

S10C0182_zpsr0xnhcit.jpg

Lots of salt. Lots of flat. So this can aptly be named the Salt Flats....

DSCN0399_zpsoarvj80y.jpg

And no, I did not drive out on it. I walked out on it... and it seemed a bit too loose for my liking. And since I was alone... I didn't want to risk it.

DSCN0403_zpsmz1y1hj3.jpg

And after all this time and all this travelling... I finally had to pull out my tripod and do a ground shot. This is my typical "lone traveler" photo...

DSCN0408_zpszqvqetyg.jpg

Today, as I was riding, I was thinking.

Most of my thinking was thinking about the next few days. I will arrive in Montrose for NAFO tomorrow evening.

And after tomorrow's route... I have no routes planned, no reservations made, no real idea of what to do. And that is not something I am used to! I have some thought as to what I might do on the way home.... but nothing set in stone. (where as everything so far has been planned and reserved.)

And as my worry escalated.... I had to remind myself to soak in where I am right now, in the present. Think of where I am!! I have just ridden across the country, seen some amazing places, touched the pacific ocean, and now headed to Colorado to meet a large group of people who all share the same passion!!

That last paragraph is what life is all about, Julie. I'm a major fan of having no plans anymore. That's when I let my nose lead the way. If I'm slabbing and I look to the left and see a bright shiny object on the top of that mountain, that's where I go. This is the fun part. Enjoy it. That's what makes riding a bike wonderful! Happy Trails! :)

oh, and which one of you loonies graffitied the rock face behind tonight's hotel....

3F4AA2E3-15EC-4739-B7EF-19CB445B250F_zps8zro2szm.jpg

Not sure of the actual context in which these were applied... But when I saw it.... I translated it my own way. And it made me smile.
punk.gif

FJRfarrier= I had to remind myself to soak in where I am right now, in the present. Think of where I am!!
^THIS^!!
It is something I take time to do on every trip, as often as I can. I try to soak it all in, all of the details that my senses can detect. These are the memories, that I hope, will stay with me well into my Golden Years. I block out everything, except what I'm seeing at that very moment....that very precious moment.

Julie, I'm really enjoying your RR, as your photos and writing blend together in a most harmoniously fashion. Thank you for sharing this ride with us!

All the best,

Rob

Up and at 'em again with the sun.... It's a little less pleasurable now that I'm headed east- couple reasons: 1)the sun in my eyes; 2)it means the trip has passed its halfway point.

S10C0001_zpsktwz9blo.jpg

When I was planning this route for today, I was hesitant about going through Salt Lake City- since I figured it would be about morning rush hour time when I would go through there. So someone told me about a nice 2-lane "bypass" option. Here's a lesson- when someone tells you about a route, make sure you get exact road names or numbers!!!! The route started out well, and then I made a right turn when I probably should have turned left. Lol. The road was named "Mormon Trail"... and it sure was an adventure!!! Pot holes and loose gravel would come out of nowhere!! At least the view was pretty....

S10C0041_zpslgf3jqmn.jpg

Back onto the interstate for a bit, and then took a major 2-lane/sometimes 4-lane road from just south of SLC to the interstate near Grand Junction. One thing about Utah... it interests me! It's pretty, and yet barren. I believe this will be a return-to state sometime. But not in July- it's hotter than the blazing dickens!!

S10C0113_zpsrpaveejs.jpg

S10C0133_zpsb1pkvcrb.jpg

S10C0163_zpsnxtqvfsl.jpg

Once I reached Grand Junction, I knew it was an easy right turn to head to Montrose. But of course I'm not going to take that route!! I chugged on a bit farther on the interstate.... and lo and behold... I come up behind LCB! I'd recognize that green anywhere!

S10C0225_zpsyivwgg89.jpg

So then my exit came along, and I headed south on 65 which goes up and over and through the Grand Mesa National Forest. What a beauty! First the road beckons you with big wide sweepers down in the river canyon. And then you start the climb up the hill. And with the elevation change, comes a temperature change! It dropped at least 25* from bottom to top! Heck yeah!

Down below where it is hot...

S10C0237_zpswxslkfv3.jpg

S10C0249_zpsef1lez5d.jpg

Up top where it is cool...

S10C0316_zpsotaqvhwn.jpg

S10C0334_zpswclxcarv.jpg

After that, I dropped down into town, made a pitstop at a WalMart to stock up on snacks for the remainder of the trip, and then made my way to the hotel of NAFO. Let the fun begin.....

Lisa doesn't ride slow, so if you caught up to her, you musta been hauling! I bet that is super cool coming upon someone you know way out in the middle of Boga Chetah! Ride on ladies !

(previous comment deleted as it was in poor taste, my apologies)

(sorry Julie, I had a short Neanderthal moment there)

Truth, Cav!!! There is only one Lisa, and only one Lisa's bike. I find that green color to be lovely, just like its owner.

Still subscribed, for sure....

Last edited by a moderator:
The pic was of the Cooling Vest soaking in the sink. If she did accidentally show her undies in the sink you should not have mentioned it on the open forum.
nono.gif

Apparently, not very good humor. I can read between the lines as well as between the pictures.

Deleted for prosperity.

Damm auto correct in the phone ......

Sorry for the thread jack too

Damm auto correct in the phone ......

Sorry for the thread jack too

dang boys! you need to get your eyes checked!! LOL!

And I thought it was funny, Pants.
rolleyes.gif

But, as soon as I read that, I had to scroll back up, quickly, to make sure I did only have the vest in the sink!!!! haha!

IT'S SATURDAY!!!!

This morning was a later morning to get up and around. Not super late- 8am KSU instead of 7am. Lol. And I had no route written. I had a map in my head that had some highlighted routes on it.... and I was just gonna start riding. That's an acceptable form of therapy for me.... sometimes....

As I was packing the bike, a fellow rider asked where I was headed. "East, then north, then west, then north, then east, then southish....." He was intrigued and asked to join. Sure! So off Phil and I go on Rt 50 to the east. After a bit, I knew I wanted to turn and ride to the Morrow Point Dam. Cool road, with neat topography.

S10C0056_zpsrqmzt0fx.jpg

He's so purdy.....

DSCN0409_zpswbvlghhh.jpg

Once back on Rt 50 for a bit.... we were passing police/sheriff/state troopers way too often. So luckily my turn was coming up.

S10C0110_zpsgw1csqga.jpg

We turned onto Rt 92 and took that north/west. What a fabulous road!! Barely any traffic, aside from the occasional bicycle, and it was supplied with beautiful scenery.

S10C0146_zps3ojp8sln.jpg

S10C0166_zpstmec7aah.jpg

Coming down out of the elevation, we see signs for Moose Crossing. Part of me gets excited for the possibility of there being something there. And part of me does not want to have to face the dilemma of coming across one....

S10C0221_zpsdyhbzoru.jpg

We then turned north again, and across the Grand Mesa National Forest. I really enjoy this road! It's got fantastic scenery, and nice road conditions, and wonderful temperatures!!

DSCN0412_zpsk5bu7ant.jpg

Hills, trees, water, and beautiful blue skies!!!! My weakness!!!! Must. Stop. For. Pictures!!!!

DSCN0416_zpszwynkilb.jpg

Back on the road, we continue north. Eventually coming to I-70. Jump on that for about 45 miles to head east to Glenwood Springs. Needing fuel, we get off and lookie at what is right next door.... it's an in-state souvenir store!!

S10C0256_zps4irye4cy.jpg

So once in Glenwood Springs, we drop south on 82 for a bit, and then take 133 to the south/west. What another fantastic road!!! The scenery is magnificent! The road conditions are great! The traffic is minimal! The air temperature is superb! I'm in heaven!!!

S10C0270_zpsjmyc0j77.jpg

S10C0283_zpsiwvgto05.jpg

We roll back into Montrose after 361 miles. Great riding!! About 10 drops of rain was all we encountered.

NAFO socializing for the evening. Dinner and a fun evening was had by all. You'll have to rely on others for pictures of that... I didn't take any. Lol. I might be able to steal some when I see them posted around.....

Tomorrow is a get up and go somewhere day. I have no reservations made. No route sheets written. I just know I would like to be home by Tuesday evening. I do want to hit Mt Evans on the way out of the state. I was unable to top it last year, due to the road being closed to the top. So this summer, I want to conquer it!! Other than that.... I just have to go east. Somewhere in Kansas will probably be my first night. I should probably at least get an idea of where I need to land...... hmmmm.....

Since I ran out of "LIKES" I'll just suggest that you take a deep breath and let your sense of smell lead the way. This will be the relaxed part of your adventure. Enjoy all of it. Happy Trails! JSNS...