Windsong of the West

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Good Stuff.

When this RR started I was a little bit jealous of you for taking such an awesome trip while I had to work. As the RR has progressed I realize I am no longer jealous of you. I have become extremely jealous of the lucky gentlemen who have been privileged to ride along with you. I wish it was MY FJR in parked next to yours in some of those pics.
sadsmiley.gif

This ride isn't over yet!!!!!!!! Now it's just the sludge to get home. Ohio- here I come- eventually. Lol.

So this morning I had a goal of waking up and getting out the parking lot about 8ish. Okay, maybe more like 8:30 at the latest. Well, I was still late. It was about 9 before I headed out. And I must not have tortured Phil enough yesterday, because there he was this morning willing to tag along over to the Denver area. So we head out and take 133 to the northeast. It was enjoyable yesterday coming down it, so we figured it had to be just as good going up it!
S10C0015_zpsa4ebdlax.jpg

S10C0037_zpsrt50gjho.jpg

Once we got to Carbondale, we headed east(ish) on Rt 82, which takes us through Aspen, and then up and over Independence Pass. It's a beautiful ride to the top.
S10C0100_zpsei3e1xke.jpg

And some spots are so narrow, they don't even have a center line. Share the road!!!
S10C0075_zpsh6xzn2fx.jpg

As we got closer and closer to the top... we started to get rained on. Riding through a moist cloud!
S10C0143_zpsiycsauqs.jpg

At the top, we did a super quick photo shoot, and then hurried down the other side to get out of the clouds!
DSCN0417_zps7wecnpbi.jpg

And it worked!
S10C0164_zps9wvzbapb.jpg

S10C0184_zpsmusimez1.jpg

When we got to the end of the road, we hooked a left on Rt 24 and took that to the north. That took us through Leadville, which is claims to be the highest incorporated town- elevation of 10,152 ft.
Once through there, we veered right on Rt 91 which will drop us down into the I-70 valley. But at that same time, the rain clouds decided to come on strong. At the peak of 91, it brought hail pinging off our helmets and shoulders. No shelter to take, so we just kept going!
S10C0239_zpscpr4vvga.jpg

At the bottom, where it meets up with I-70, we stopped at a gas station for some shelter. Along with half a dozen other motorcyclists! Phil decided to just keep riding in the rain, and off he went on to Denver. I wanted a break, so I stayed and chatted with the others. Come to find out, 2 of them are from Ohio- about 30 minutes up the road from me! And another was from a tiny town about 45 minutes south of me! And 2 others were from Michigan! And none of us knew the others until we all stopped for shelter! Crazy time.... lol.
A89CF840-77C1-4054-A01B-835507C77AE6_zpsy7xz086s.jpg

Finally, the rain cleared. So off I went to jump on the interstate to start the trek east- with a goal of riding up Mt Evans. Once on the interstate, it turned to a crawl. An hour and a half later, I had gone 33 miles.
S10C0266_zpsul2bultv.jpg

I was tired, cold (heated jacket was put on), cranky and way behind schedule. So I passed by Mt Evans- 2nd year in a row I haven't made it up. Some day....

Finally decided to not go as far as I was wanting. So I found a hotel on the northeast corner of Denver, and made my way that way. Coming down from the mountains, into town, these signs made me smile. Another one I saw said "Don't be fooled. You've still got 4 miles to go." LOL!
S10C0299_zpsddbbg5ji.jpg

Passing through Denver, the city skyline looked ominous in front of the stormy backdrop. I was glad to have a hotel room nearby.
S10C0312_zpsv8vhhimr.jpg

325 miles still makes for a good day. Just not what I was hoping I could do.

I learned a lot today- about myself, about my limits, and about what I need to plan for on the next long trip. After 12 days, and 5,750 miles, maybe I shouldn't push for a 600 mile day- especially when the first half is extreme twisties. And the weather and traffic can also make or break my mood.

Hoping for better weather tomorrow....

Sending good weather thoughts your way Julie!

Have a great couple days as you head east...looking forward to following along!

--G

That run from Montrose to Carbondale and then back down through Aspen and over Independence Pass is a wonderful ride. I still regard that route as one of the high points of my life. Thanks for reminding me of it.

When I rode it we also got into a rain and hail storm on the Eastern side. I will never forget that at some points the hail seemed to be coming from underneath the bike.

Traffic snarls will try the patience of a saint and the frustration adds to the fatigue. 30 minutes crawling through a traffic jam is equivalent to 3 hours hard riding.

Take your time, be safe. The horses can get new Reeboks when you get home.

Thanks so much for taking all of us along on your trip! Ride reports such as this one are a huge part of what I find so awesome about this forum and the people who frequent it. Your photography skills and eye for what makes a good picture continue to impress me and make me want to become better at picking out good opportunities.

Wishing you good weather and safe travels.

The formal RR from the day will have to wait until tomorrow. The wifi at this hotel is MIA....

So here's a brief summary from my phone:

753 miles today. Got me a little closer to my intended schedule....

But I had to skip my Kansas attraction that I wanted to see. It would have added an extra 2 1/2 hrs of drive time. In 105* heat. I'll get that another time. :)

After lunch, the temps started to drop. I could feel a great difference when it got down to 95- it was bearable!

It was actually an enjoyable ride. One easy interstate, with rolling hills, different things to look at, big cities, stock yards, a toll road, and a small amount of construction.

Tomorrow is the final stretch home.

This has been a great read and adventure. I made Mt Evans with a couple of friends leading the way during the original NAFO. Pretty cool the parking lot is 14,136 feet as I recall.

Just a day late and a dollar short....

Monday August 1:

Get up and leave Denver. As I watch the Rockies fade in my rearview mirror, I watch the Kansas horizon unfold in front of me.

And also I got really excited when I saw a sign for Cedar Point.... until I realized I was 1,000 miles away from the amusement park.
fool.gif

9475c7a4-8686-4b9a-8a4f-3e0508290aa7_zpsingau9me.jpg

And it sure was enjoyable to ride behind one of these....

Wow. I could tell which ones were empty and which had some soon-to-be-burger occupants.
bad.gif

S10C0039_zpsmiydntip.jpg

Oh wait. THESE were the trailers I enjoyed following and passing.... they smelled better.
smile.png

S10C0031_zpswi64jea1.jpg

Kansas sure knows how to use their resources wisely.... they harvest the wind!!

S10C0047_zpsvmxq9k8m.jpg

I had originally planned to get off the interstate for a bit in the western part of Kansas. There is a location near Lebanon, KS that claims to be the geographical center of the US. (Not including Alaska or Hawaii, like the point in Belle Fourche, SD) But when I was already behind the intended schedule, I decided not to extend the day by 2 1/2 hours of extra riding. So I stayed on the interstate, and kept on riding.

Through the eastern part of Kansas, the terrain started to change and it actually got pretty neat. And into Missouri, it was rolling hills, green grounds, and the temps got lower. It was extremely hot through the first half of the day. And about the time I was getting annoyed by the heat of 105* running on the interstate.... I took a lunch, got back on the bike, and after a bit, the temps started to feel cooler. I looked at the temperature, and it read 95*. That was comfortable! And then it dropped to 91... and then 88.... and then 84.... and then 80!!!!

S10C0093_zpsneenykhs.jpg

And these were some cool clouds that I was riding under.

S10C0104_zpsrm4obwrn.jpg

Not much was done today besides riding. And I've also realized that my pictures have gotten less of the "get off the bike and take a picture" kind... and are more of the "just take it with the helmet cam". Lol.

753 miles, and I landed in Kingdom City, MO. It was a good day, though. I was more in the zone today- and felt the energy of heading home and a smooth interstate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in great personal conflict with your RR. While I truly want you to get home safely, I definitely do not want to see this RR come to an end.

Stay safe.

Oh yeah!! The tires!!!! I'll remember to put up my thoughts and opinions about those. And some pictures. Still got plenty of miles of testing left on those, though.
punk.gif

And today's recap....

Morning in Kingdom City, MO. About 100 miles west of St Louis.

I had somewhere to be, at noon, in a different time zone, with a 6 hr drivetime.
So that meant, I needed to be on the road by 5am local time. Well, I had the alarm set for 4. But at 3, I was woken awake by cracks of thunder and the room lighting up with lightning. So I checked the radar. And in my drowsiness, I saw that I was on the western edge of it, so I figured by the time I wake up and get things around, the storm will be moved off and it should be mostly clear.
So an hour later, I wake up, and check the radar again. Doesn't look like it even moved! Get things around, and the lightning and thunder are still sitting right over the hotel. It gets to be 5am local time, and I decide to make the move. Since the storm has not moved in the last 2 hours, I saw that if I headed about 20 miles east, the heavy stormy part would be letting up. And then after about 100 miles, the rain should let up. And that would put me around St Louis.
And sure enough- my guesstimates were correct!!
The video footage I got of the storm and lightning was quite impressive!!
Before daylight...
S10C0004_zpsejpir62t.jpg

After daylight, around St Louis...
S10C0019_zpstv169vc1.jpg

And after seeing Cedar Point yesterday... I see Montrose today! Sure thought I was driving around in circles!
S10C0055_zpsnnkqpdgw.jpg

And then... Brazil! Man, I made quite the wrong turn somewhere!!!!
S10C0066_zpsuxtpcktj.jpg

On my way through Indianapolis, I met up with a fellow feejer friend- Corey. We ate lunch at Barbacue and Bourbon. Delicious food and great company! And then.... we drove to the Indianapolis Speedway. Not just TO it... but INTO it!!! We drove UNDER the track, and into the infield!!! WOW!!!!
DSCN0418_zps34lawgvo.jpg

And then, after that, it was just a short 200 mile ride home. Pulling into town... it felt so homey. This is home.
S10C0114_zpsbctc7mbp.jpg

It's a somewhat sad feeling to be back home- it means vacation is over. But after 14 days on the road- I am ready to be back to my house, my cat, and my work.

Don't worry (Redfish), even though I am done riding on this adventure.... I will still post a few more thoughts, reports, and maybe even a few video montages- even I can get them edited in due time.

Oh! And Monday morning- at the first fuel stop, near the Colorado/Kansas border... I go inside the gas station to get some caffeine. As I'm checking out, I see cinnamon rolls. With a ton of frosting!!! So I set them on the counter, too.

Lady at the counter: "You can use our microwave to heat those up, if you would like."

Me: "oh thanks, but I'm just going to stick them in my trunk, and they'll be warm by the next time I stop."

Lady: "well, it sure is hot enough for that. How are you gonna keep the drinks cold?"

Me: "I've got ice jugs to stick those in."

Lady shakes her head and smiles.

9BE53F4A-1D22-4C78-9158-8DFE150F6637_zpswsazezt5.jpg

41D496C0-BB23-444F-9E56-1F0CE8071D90_zpserbaewxt.jpg

And then this was breakfast for Tuesday morning....

3791121C-049E-4751-A7A9-CFABAB33A383_zpsfagqixfh.jpg

I see that Mtn. Dew owes me a commission check!
winksmiley02.gif
The Blood Orange is my fav too.

*** EDIT

Get your WiggleWop on!

Kickstart

Sorry, just couldn't resist.
rolleyes.gif

**** End of edit

Absolutely wonderful report Julie! I said it from the start, and I say it again, you are my hero! How you managed to post a full recap EVERY SINGLE NIGHT (except for the one night with the crappy wifi) I'll never know. You put in big miles (and big smiles) most every day, enough to lay my ass out day in and day out. No way would I have the energy to download pics, then post up a report. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort. I am nominating this as RR of the Year and my guess is there will be plenty of second's to that nomination.

I know you hated to see it end, but I also understand that you are glad to be home. Well, we all are glad that your travels were safe and went off, relatively, without a hitch. That's a mighty impressive feat you just pulled off young lady and a trip that will last in your memories forever. Thanks for taking us along!
fan_1.gif
clapping.gif
thumbsup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto ^

Very much enjoyed reading and traveling along from my chair. Glad you're back safely. See you at EOM?