Wrecked the '15 already

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bike is back with me now.
Scar rolled over 1,000 miles just before I made it to work tonight. With a rush of joy and happiness that I will not attempt to describe here, I stopped the bike dead in the road and did a full throttle acceleration run to redline in gears 1,2, and 3. I know there are other bikes that are much faster but the deep growl of the FJR stirs my soul. Very Good Stuff.
Glad to hear that your bike has almost repaired.

You will feel more power from your engine at 5,000-10,000+miles
smile.png
Τhe engine is brand new and is still tight yet..

...Scar rolled over 1,000 miles just before I made it to work tonight. With a rush of joy and happiness that I will not attempt to describe here, I stopped the bike dead in the road and did a full throttle acceleration run to redline in gears 1,2, and 3. ...
From the Owner's Manual:

1600 km (1000 mi) and beyond The vehicle can now be operated nor-

mally.
S'pose it's all right. If red-lining through the gears is normal
rolleyes.gif

Hmm. Lessee ... Red line in third is 123mph. You did have it on its centre-stand, didn't you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Scar rolled over 1,000 miles just before I made it to work tonight. With a rush of joy and happiness that I will not attempt to describe here, I stopped the bike dead in the road and did a full throttle acceleration run to redline in gears 1,2, and 3. ...
From the Owner's Manual:

1600 km (1000 mi) and beyond

The vehicle can now be operated normally.
S'pose it's all right. If red-lining through the gears is normal: rolleyes: .

Hmm. Lessee ... Red line in third is 123mph. You did have it on its centre-stand, didn't you?
I assume the acceleration burst took place in just a 1/4 mile on private property
wink.png

...Scar rolled over 1,000 miles just before I made it to work tonight. With a rush of joy and happiness that I will not attempt to describe here, I stopped the bike dead in the road and did a full throttle acceleration run to redline in gears 1,2, and 3. ...
From the Owner's Manual:

1600 km (1000 mi) and beyond The vehicle can now be operated nor-

mally.
rolleyes.gif

I guess the 2008's are faster. Redline for me in second gear is 92MPH. I have tested this several times a year.

Just sayin,

Dave

Scar rolled over 1,000 miles just before I made it to work tonight. With a rush of joy and happiness that I will not attempt to describe here, I stopped the bike dead in the road and did a full throttle acceleration run to redline in gears 1,2, and 3. ...
From the Owner's Manual:

The vehicle can now be operated nor-

mally.
S'pose it's all right. If red-lining through the gears is normal :rolleyes: .

I guess the 2008's are faster. Redline for me in second gear is 92MPH. I have tested this several times a year.

Just sayin,

Dave
My calculator predicts 93.78 for 9500 in second. That's close enough for quite a large fine.

From the Owner's Manual:

The vehicle can now be operated nor-

mally.
rolleyes.gif

No, but it was on just one wheel a couple of very brief moments...
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

If I can scrape together some pieces and if Garauld will consent to do the work I am going to try to repair/repaint the old case lid after the new sidecase arrives. I think it may be time to fix some of the scuffs on Dear Old Dad's '07 as well. They say that chicks dig scars but I did not see any beautiful women swooning over my scarred up FJR.

Glad things are working out finally. Broken ribs suck and take a long time to heal. I think it is time you get a key to the FJR owners lounge.
punk.gif

Instead of starting a whole new thread which would have been titled:

My first hand (wash) job!

Today, for the first time since I got it, I washed the '15. While that may seem insignificant, it was actually a wonderful few minutes of my time.

Things I learned:

1. This bike is gorgeous. Really.

2. The headlights make it look like an owl. Not like the wise old owl from Winnie the Pooh, more like one of those big, mean, vicious, birds of prey that haunt the night skies. This thing has a unique snout and I love it.

3. I had a stone chip. Does this mean that my paint is soft? Does this mean that soon I will be down to bare plastic? Does this mean I should have kept my Honda? No. It means a rock hit the front of the fairing.

4. Liquid Graphite hides dirt. I knew that riding the bike in the rain had taken its toll but I had no idea it was that dirty. Once I started washing it, Wow! This is a great color for my cleaning/riding habits. It won't look terrible when it is being used, but it will clean up spectacularly when I want it to look good.

5. It takes almost 50% more time to wash than my ST1300. I knew this going in but that great looking origami styling leaves lots of nooks and crevices that need cleaning.

6. The Laam Seat will hold enough water in the stitching to get your behind wet on your first post-wash ride.

7. The windshield staying in place with the key off is a huge improvement over the Gen 2. I have asked Pop several times to let me disable his auto-retract but he refuses. He says it only helps when you are washing the bike...

8. I don't miss my Honda very much.

9. I NEED that replacement saddlebag to arrive. Those scratch marks look bad.

"2. The headlights make it look like an owl. Not like the wise old owl from Winnie the Pooh, more like one of those big, mean, vicious, birds of prey that haunt the night skies. This thing has a unique snout and I love it."

While installing the new horns, I turned on the key without starting the engine. Walked around to the front and saw those badass parking lights -- or whatever they're officially called -- for the first time.

Yessir, it's a gorgeous bike in any color. I'm just partial to the Liquid Graphite.

Hey Redfish Hunter, Glad you got your bike back and all seems to be getting back to normal. Know how you feel about not having one's bike at home or in running condition. My new 14 FJR has been quietly parked in it's spot for a couple/three weeks now due to weather. Snow and cold in Colorado lately.

Will be glad when I can get Ruby out for a ride again. What type of farkles are you going to install?

Hey Redfish Hunter, Glad you got your bike back and all seems to be getting back to normal.

What type of farkles are you going to install?
Thanks!

And thanks for asking. So far I have added:

Cee Bailey Sport Shield in dark gray tint

Laam Custom Seat, all smooth vinyl, silver topstitch

I have the T-Rex frame sliders, the GenMar bar riser blocks, WynPro BigFoot, WynPro RamBall, and a genuine Yamaha FJR tank protector just waiting for me to get a night off so I can install them. The Garmin Zumo 660 was also retained from my ST1300.

I am planning to buy:

1. Small, bullet shaped fork mounted LEDs to make the bike more conspicuous. One of our forum members sells exactly what I want.

2. The 3M reflector decals for the rear of the saddlebags. Again, one of our forum members will get my business.

3. Mounting system for the SHAD SH50 top box that I had mounted on my ST1300. Will not be kept on the bike all the time.

4. Ariete Angled valve stems.

5. Michelin PR3s or PR4s. I HATE the OEM rear Bridgestone. HATE, HATE, HATE it. Although it seems to be working better as the miles go.

6. Centech power distribution block with relay.

7. Aftermarket (possibly Pazzo) brake and clutch levers.

8. Maybe, maybe, possibly, someday I will consider a set Vance and Hines CS One in Black. Just because they will finish the Sinister Look.

Something else will probably turn up but that is my current wish list. Well, those things and a trip to EOM or SWFOG...

At least one good thing about working all that OT is it should make it a little easier to afford the farkles!

"Redfish Hunter"
5. Michelin PR3s or PR4s. I HATE the OEM rear Bridgestone. HATE, HATE, HATE it. Although it seems to be working better as the miles go.
Pardon me, but that's just plain funny.
smile.png

And, 08fjr4me, that's Liquid Graphite and black. Fastest color ever devised by man.

My 20 year old son has bike on the brain. He has been eyeballing mid size sport bikes.....which I am against, for a couple of reasons.

1. I think he oughta get something a little more tame for his 1st bike

2. He is a BIG kid.....6'2" 240.....he is gonna look like a monkey banging a football on a EX500

and lastly

3. If he wrecks, his momma will blame me.

Back on topic:

Best wishes on your healing, and your repairs. I only hope that this doesn't scare you to the point where you are going to be tentative every time you approach a turn.

Gotta agree on the stock tires. While I only have 500 miles on my '14 "A" model (got it right before Christmas), I have noticed that these tires (specifically the rear) seem to slide easily.

Maybe I am being too ham fisted with the throttle...lol