YES warranty in Washington State

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamK

Reaction score
Anyone in Washington State find a good deal on the Yamaha YES warranty? I spoke with D&H in Alabama this morning and confirmed that only Washington State dealers can sell YES warranties in Washington State?? Same for Florida. The few local dealers I've called want $600 for the 4 year YES extension versus $395 from D&H.

This is a repeat Forum topic but I was able to buy a YES for my 14ES from Cycletown in Herminston, OR without any problems at all and I certainly was not their first Washington YES customer. They were also the selling dealer for those vehicles so maybe there is a waiver when a Washington resident buys from a Oregon dealer. You might try them and see what happens.

This is a repeat Forum topic but I was able to buy a YES for my 14ES from Cycletown in Herminston, OR without any problems at all and I certainly was not their first Washington YES customer. They were also the selling dealer for those vehicles so maybe there is a waiver when a Washington resident buys from a Oregon dealer. You might try them and see what happens.
D&H said they couldn't sell YES in Washington without some kind of insurance re-seller license required by the State of Washington. Its not worth it for them to bother to get one. Maybe that Hermiston dealer gets enough business from Washington that they have it?? A dealer in Salem quoted me a YES but that was before I knew enough to ask them if they could really offer it to me. The online YES re-sellers websites, re-sellers on eBay and D&H have been the only entities that have mentioned this issue.

I wonder if Yamaha consistently enforces this requirement? I'd hate to buy from an out of State dealer only to have the YES extension rejected by Yamaha on a technicality. Thus the question here to see if any dealers in WA are competitive on YES pricing....

I wonder if Yamaha consistently enforces this requirement? I'd hate to buy from an out of State dealer only to have the YES extension rejected by Yamaha on a technicality. Thus the question here to see if any dealers in WA are competitive on YES pricing....
Or if you'd get a Yamaha dealer to honor it or something.

I'd Google dealers and call. I remember mine from Desert Valley Powersports was more than $400, but not sure it was less than $600.

Give Cassandra a call at Skagit Powersports and make her a reasonable offer between D&H pricing and $600.
coolsmiley02.gif

If you're still hunting for a '16, I'd start there as well. You might be pleasantly surprised!

--G

Or if you'd get a Yamaha dealer to honor it or something.

I'd Google dealers and call. I remember mine from Desert Valley Powersports was more than $400, but not sure it was less than $600.
Well, once you have a US YES it should be honored anywhere in the US. But I suppose when a dealer put in the request for YES service Yamaha <could> double check and reject it then even though they processed the YES application and approved it?? I'll probably just suck it up and buy my YES in WA to be sure...

How was your deal from Cycletown? Are they a volume FJR dealer? I'm a bit leery of buying from a dealer who sees one FJR a year which seems to be the case for some.

In the Honda ST world dealers like that can be an issue. They take your bike apart, then put all the various body work retainers in the wrong places when they put it back together. Some dealers don't see them too often. The only time I took my ST in to a dealer was for a warranty rear shock replacement. And I took most of the body work off and rode the naked bike to their shop. :)

Give Cassandra a call at Skagit Powersports and make her a reasonable offer between D&H pricing and $600.
coolsmiley02.gif

If you're still hunting for a '16, I'd start there as well. You might be pleasantly surprised!
Already talked to Cassandra. She doesn't want to commit to anything other than MSRP on a bike at this time. Most of the smaller volume FJR dealers around Seattle I've talked to this week are getting a single A and a single ES. They want to see the level of excitement and maximize their profit on the couple of bikes they are getting. I get that. Some of the higher volume dealers are willing to budge some because they have something like 4 of each model coming in their first allotment. One dealer near Salem is getting close to what it would cost me to get a 2016 ES from D&H if I factor in either shipping it or the cost for me to fly and ride. What I'm trying to do is get a dealer closer to home to give me that same deal.

This typically isn't the best time in the cycle to be trying to get a deal on a brand new model that hasn't even shipped yet. There are exceptions though, like D&H. They are getting a big allotment based on their past ordering history, are in a rural area, know that the market is a little depressed and a high volume dealer. They sold over 100 FJRs last year. They are the best option out there so far. I'm just trying to find something similar on the west coast, or even better, close to Seattle.

Last edited by a moderator:
How was your deal from Cycletown? Are they a volume FJR dealer? I'm a bit leery of buying from a dealer who sees one FJR a year which seems to be the case for some.

In the Honda ST world dealers like that can be an issue. They take your bike apart, then put all the various body work retainers in the wrong places when they put it back together. Some dealers don't see them too often. The only time I took my ST in to a dealer was for a warranty rear shock replacement. And I took most of the body work off and rode the naked bike to their shop. :)
Cycletown is not a volume dealer ( and doesn't have a insurance license) but I would not hesitate to take the FJR to them for warranty work...but that should not be an issue. You can take your YES warranty to any dealer....just like you would have to do if you bought the YES from D&H.

4 of us just spent some time at D&H today. They are great people and I do not ever recall being welcomed by a owner as humble and insightful as Gerald. We did not buy a thing(yet)and they treated us better than old friends. We walked back to the service area where they were putting together an R1 and Gerald's son in law who is a regional manager for Yamaha of sorts spent as much time with all 4 of us as we wanted. He talked about everything between Moto GP to routes in Southern California to a $15 dollar Huffy that Gerald bought from a local guy because he appreciated the workmanship on.

No one there seemed put out by answering any of our questions about anything. It wasn't fake or contrived either in a salesman manipulative way. Just first class people from the front desk to the service bays.

If I am ever fortunate enough to purchase new, I have no doubt where I will be calling and picking it up. All the YES warranty complexity and minutiae is something you have to wade through. But if you figure it out, buy it from them and ride it home. Or ride it around there and have them do the first service and then ride it home.

The dealership ain't nothing to look at on the outside, but inside is nothing but FIRST CLASS.

Weird, I live in WA and bought Yes from D&H back in 2008 or 2009. No issues came up and I did use the Warranty with my local dealer for a couple issues.

Must be a recent thing.

4 of us just spent some time at D&H today. They are great people and I do not ever recall being welcomed by a owner as humble and insightful as Gerald. We did not buy a thing(yet)and they treated us better than old friends. We walked back to the service area where they were putting together an R1 and Gerald's son in law who is a regional manager for Yamaha of sorts spent as much time with all 4 of us as we wanted. He talked about everything between Moto GP to routes in Southern California to a $15 dollar Huffy that Gerald bought from a local guy because he appreciated the workmanship on.
No one there seemed put out by answering any of our questions about anything. It wasn't fake or contrived either in a salesman manipulative way. Just first class people from the front desk to the service bays.

If I am ever fortunate enough to purchase new, I have no doubt where I will be calling and picking it up. All the YES warranty complexity and minutiae is something you have to wade through. But if you figure it out, buy it from them and ride it home. Or ride it around there and have them do the first service and then ride it home.

The dealership ain't nothing to look at on the outside, but inside is nothing but FIRST CLASS.
I had a very nice conversation with Renae today about the YES warranty. I've talked to Gerald a number of times now. They do seem like great people! If I can't get a decent deal locally I won't have a second thought buying from them and shipping the bike to Seattle. Thanks for the first hand insight! :)

Weird, I live in WA and bought Yes from D&H back in 2008 or 2009. No issues came up and I did use the Warranty with my local dealer for a couple issues.
Must be a recent thing.
Must be. Renae won't sell me a YES now unless I provide a non-Washington address. You're pretty close to me. Where did you buy your bike?

Must be a recent thing.
IIRC, it was within the last 2 - 3 years when the rules changed.

--G

In the Honda ST world dealers like that can be an issue. They take your bike apart, then put all the various body work retainers in the wrong places when they put it back together. Some dealers don't see them too often. The only time I took my ST in to a dealer was for a warranty rear shock replacement. And I took most of the body work off and rode the naked bike to their shop.
smile.png
Cycletown is not a volume dealer ( and doesn't have a insurance license) but I would not hesitate to take the FJR to them for warranty work...but that should not be an issue. You can take your YES warranty to any dealer....just like you would have to do if you bought the YES from D&H.
Would this not be like buying your bike and moving to one of these restrictive states... then needing warranty work? I wouldn't expect to have to ride back to the selling dealer/state.

I purchased a YES warranty from D&H in 2010 or early 2011 and had no problems at all. I think a call or an email to the WA state Insurance Commissioner's office would get a definitive anwer. Never used the warranty but it did provide some peace of mind. So far no problems at all with my '09 and I average around 7000 miles/year.

Would this not be like buying your bike and moving to one of these restrictive states... then needing warranty work? I wouldn't expect to have to ride back to the selling dealer/state.
There's no issue getting service in any State once you purchase YES. I <believe> the FL and WA exemption on purchase of YES is to protect us poor sheep from wolves outside the State selling us crappy automotive warranties. You know, insurance policies that deny about every claim you make when your vehicle fails. The State is just <trying> to regulate who can sell policies to us. Gee, thanks! :(