YES - would you buy it if .....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bull

Reaction score
I just got an invite from Mamma Yama to purchase extended warranty for my 2006 - for 4 years that's the princely sum of 1300 clams up here in Canadaland.

If I could get it from D+H I would pull the trigger on it in an instant - but YES warranties bought stateside don't transfer north of the border.

This is my first Yamaha ride and I don't have the experience with either the feejer or the brand to make an informed decision.....

So - dear forum buddies - do you think it's worth it - at $1300?

I didn't think Yamaha Canada offered 4 yr YES program up here.....?
They do for sure Bear - I have the brochure right in front of me:

for 2004 models (FJR) and later :

1 year - 770

2 year - 881

3 year - 991

4 year - 1288

I just can't help wondering if $1300 might be a good enough chunk of change to put towards even a significant problem - and then you have to consider the probability of such a problem arising in the first place. I also can't help but notice that 1300 would set me up with a very nicely tuned set of aftermarket shocks for the back end..... with some change left over for a few cold ones! :rolleyes:

Here in BC, they'll also catch an extra 13% in taxes which would bring it up to around 1,450 for four years coverage - which is a whole thousand bucks more than our neighbours just three hours south of me in Seattle. Go figure. :blink:

Trouble is - I'm the kind of person who likes to have a back-up plan ..... but I still can't decide if this particular back-up plan is a good investment. Right now - I'm leaning away from saying 'yes' to the YES.

any advice from any of you other Canadian riders?

TIA - Bull

I'm not in Canada, but I have to offer my 2 cents (American) <_<

NO, I would not get YES (I just had to say that).

Seriously, though, given the reliability/repair record of the FJR, an extended warranty is kind of useless. As you know, YES can be had here in the States for much less and in that case I'd say it's relatively cheap "insurance". At the price you're looking at.....if it were me.....I'd take the $1450 and invest it for the next four years. If by chance you have something catastrophic occur, apply that money to the repair. If you have no major repairs in the next four years, which is very likely, you still have your 1400 bucks (plus interest) to spend on something more fun!

Just an idea....

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember what they wanted when I got my 05, but it was way too much. Didn't take it and didn't need it so far. The only problems so far is the loose nut behind the handle bars.... :blink:

The only problems so far is the loose nut behind the handle bars.... :blink:

My wife said something about that with my bike too - but I had a look and couldn't see what she was talking about.

I'm not in Canada, but I have to offer my 2 cents (American) <_<
NO, I would not get YES (I just had to say that).

Seriously, though, given the reliability/repair record of the FJR, an extended warranty is kind of useless. As you know, YES can be had here in the States for much less and in that case I'd say it's relatively cheap "insurance". At the price you're looking at.....if it were me.....I'd take the $1450 and invest it for the next four years. If by chance you have something catastrophic occur, apply that money to the repair. If you have no major repairs in the next four years, which is very likely, you still have your 1400 bucks (plus interest) to spend on something more fun!

Just an idea....
Thanks Lar - I'm thinking in the same direction too ......

I did do it but only because I have an AE. I figured newer technology, who knows what might pop up.

The Candian version of YES is called YPP. It is available to extend warranties by 1-4 years for a total of up to 5.

If you buy it when you get your bike it is less expensive than adding it later, but it is a lot more expensive than anything you can get in the USA.

I put it on my bike at time of purchase - Partly because Yamaha had a coupon that took $300 of the cost and the dealer gave it to me for ($900 less 300, so I paid) $600. Since Yamaha replaced the headlight reflector and the left switch pod I've got my money back.

Warranties can pay off and they improve the desireability if you decide to sell the bike before the warranty expires.

Last edited by a moderator: